Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Manitoba Vs Ontario

Manitoba Vs Ontario

Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Manitoba Vs Ontario

Originally Posted by dbd33
GST is only on new houses. I suppose that, if you bought the B&B as a business with no residential element, you might get into GST but I don't think you'd want to do that.
Most of the B&Bs we have looked at have had a portion of the house say 3-4 guest rooms with an owners/managers seperate apartment or zone. So GST would still apply I'm thinking.

EVY
Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs
Most of the B&Bs we have looked at have had a portion of the house say 3-4 guest rooms with an owners/managers seperate apartment or zone. So GST would still apply I'm thinking.

EVY
I'm not sure. You'll need to talk to an accountant before arranging anything.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm not sure. You'll need to talk to an accountant before arranging anything.
Thanks anyway dbd33

EVY
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:16 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like the nasty kings castle in Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang

I'm really after up upand running B&B.

When you see a property you like do you need to add GST on the price. Or do you pay what you see?

EVY

No Idea when buying a business thats why I gave the Manitoba starting a business in the first link.

Also if you talk with the Manitoba advantage people you can gain loads of ingformation from them as experts rather most of us hearsayers
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grah
No Idea when buying a business thats why I gave the Manitoba starting a business in the first link.

Also if you talk with the Manitoba advantage people you can gain loads of ingformation from them as experts rather most of us hearsayers
Thanks Grah!

Evy
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:28 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Grah!

Evy
http://www.bedandbreakfast.mb.ca/web2/index.shtml

Gives you the idea of types and Competition in Manitoba
Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:15 pm
Happy in Canada.

Thanks Grah!

Evy
YOUR WELCOME
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:40 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Reading through all these comments and I feel that the ones saying "What kind of a B&B do you imagine having" being the most relevant.

Ontario is the political centre of Canada and can be equated to the equivalent of London albeit we are comparing a city to a province.

Manitoba is probably the largest profitable/industrial city on the edge of what is considered the "praries" or "flat lands" of Mid Canada. Winnipeg accounts for the biggest chunk of income/expense then any other city in Manitoba, so really, when people outside of Manitoba speak of it, they are majority of the time actually speaking of Winnipeg.

Winnipeg is a big city but more laid back and less political then Toronto or Ottowa (obviously!), there is more of an 'earthy' nature to the locals then your typical Ontarian (making a sweeping generilisation here, I know it doesnt apply to all!) and you tend to find more hikers/campers/wilderness buffs in & around Winnipeg then you would in Ontario.

So, how do you see your B&B? Is it going to be near all the central govt/tourist attraction hot spots in Ontario or is it going to be laid back & geared to catering to backpackers and nature/wildlife enthusiats?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
Ontario is the political centre of Canada and can be equated to the equivalent of London albeit we are comparing a city to a province.
Ontario is bigger than spain and france combined....so that rather a generalisation. Ontario contains the political hubs of the country..Ottawa and Toronto, but there is far far more to it than that!

The Algonquin or cottage country, or 1000 Islands areas in no way remind me of London, and are all hot B&B areas.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

carpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Bethlehem???
No that's where we originated from duh!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 1:03 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Ontario is bigger than spain and france combined....so that rather a generalisation. Ontario contains the political hubs of the country..Ottawa and Toronto, but there is far far more to it than that!

The Algonquin or cottage country, or 1000 Islands areas in no way remind me of London, and are all hot B&B areas.
No need iaink, I realise the size difference and countryside differences.. what I was trying to say in my post is the overall "feel" of the provinces. Ontario is more of a politicaly motivated province & heck of alot more population in comparison to Manitoba which most of its population centres around Winnipeg & the countryside is less developed. I realise its a sweeping generalisation that doesn't apply to everything/everywhere, but thats my overall take on the two provinces, so THERE
Old Sep 27th 2006, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

carpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud of

Thanks carpenters, where you heading to?
We're as yet undecided, likely to be Southern Ontario/the GTA but we're off for a recce to Vancouver in March. I'm thinking I may have to do battle with the old head and heart scenario; have a feeling I will be in love with the BC scenery but the sensible place for us would be Ontario as it's closer to home (slightly less lengthy flight) and we have extended family there. Oh damn these decisions!