British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Manitoba Vs Ontario (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/manitoba-vs-ontario-397560/)

Mr & Mrs Sep 20th 2006 8:06 am

Manitoba Vs Ontario

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can all pitch in with the best & worst reasons to go to Manitoba and the best and worst to go to Ontario. I am looking at a B & B while hubby drives. We spoke to a realtor the other day in Toronto and of course they recommend Ontario, about 1.5 hours out. I know that B & B's rely on tourism and feel that maybe Ontario has the edge, but the cost of living etc in Manitoba pulls me there. Such a dilemma can anyone pitch in!

Cordially

Evy :)

Lees147 Sep 20th 2006 8:23 am

Re: Manitoba Vs Ontario

Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can all pitch in with the best & worst reasons to go to Manitoba and the best and worst to go to Ontario. I am looking at a B & B while hubby drives. We spoke to a realtor the other day in Toronto and of course they recommend Ontario, about 1.5 hours out. I know that B & B's rely on tourism and feel that maybe Ontario has the edge, but the cost of living etc in Manitoba pulls me there. Such a dilemma can anyone pitch in!

Cordially

You already hit the main point which is:

Ontario will get tourists and therefore you will have custom.

Not going in to your finances but if you bring enough equaty from england you should not have a problem in financing a house/B&B in ontario. Although i know it is a huge differance in between these 2 provinces.

I am off to Manitoba but the only thing there is Winnipeg and it's not the place with an amazing buzz about the city.

Not to throw petrol in your flames but PEI could be another alternative.

This is an extremly cheap place to buy (i also believe it is very touristy) Please correct me if i am wrong.

The trouble with PEI is how remote it is.

Hope i have helped in some small way

Mr & Mrs Sep 20th 2006 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Lees147
You already hit the main point which is:

Ontario will get tourists and therefore you will have custom.

Not going in to your finances but if you bring enough equaty from england you should not have a problem in financing a house/B&B in ontario. Although i know it is a huge differance in between these 2 provinces.

I am off to Manitoba but the only thing there is Winnipeg and it's not the place with an amazing buzz about the city.

Not to throw petrol in your flames but PEI could be another alternative.

This is an extremly cheap place to buy (i also believe it is very touristy) Please correct me if i am wrong.

The trouble with PEI is how remote it is.

Hope i have helped in some small way

Thanks Lee,

Looked at PEI and discounted it for that reason, remoteness.

As for Finance the range we're looking at will mean we have plenty of equity and therefore more than enough to buy a B&B outright. The problem is everywhere in Canada seems likeable and beautiful but we have definately narrowed it down to one of these to.

Evy :D

dbd33 Sep 20th 2006 11:53 am

Thanks Lee,

Looked at PEI and discounted it for that reason, remoteness.

As for Finance the range we're looking at will mean we have plenty of equity and therefore more than enough to buy a B&B outright. The problem is everywhere in Canada seems likeable and beautiful but we have definately narrowed it down to one of these to.

There is massive truck traffic between southern Ontario and the east coast, the eastern seaboard of the US and the mid-west. I suppose there are also some lorries in Manitoba when the crops bloom or bud or whatever crops do but Ontario is about manufacturing and that means moving stuff week in week out. I'd either look at somewhere seasonal such as the Kawarthas or Haliburton or somewhere year round like Toronto or Ottawa.

TrishP Sep 20th 2006 1:21 pm

Hi all,

Cordially

Northern Ontario/Southern Manitoba has a high number of tourists, especially in the summer months as many Americans come up to fish. Her in red Lake the hotels, etc were busting at the seams. Kenora in NW Ontario would be lovely, on Lake of the Woods, only 2 hours from Winnipeg.

Mr & Mrs Sep 20th 2006 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by TrishB
Northern Ontario/Southern Manitoba has a high number of tourists, especially in the summer months as many Americans come up to fish. Her in red Lake the hotels, etc were busting at the seams. Kenora in NW Ontario would be lovely, on Lake of the Woods, only 2 hours from Winnipeg.

Thanks again guys!

I may well come back again shortly with more Q's.

Mr & Mrs Sep 20th 2006 4:31 pm

Anyone else out there with an opinion on the Manitoba & Ontario scenario? :o

Evy

Atlantic Xpat Sep 20th 2006 4:41 pm

Anyone else out there with an opinion on the Manitoba & Ontario scenario? :o

Evy

No but I am still smiling to myself about seeing PEI referred to as 'remote'! :) You can at least drive from PEI to the rest of Canada without taking a ferry, so if you consider PEI remote I'm guessing NL must be somewhere near the end of the world.............. :D

BTW, strong B&B business in PEI but very seasonable, beautiful place, good weather (in the summer), cheap property. Strong demand for truckers in nearby NB. (Moncton being a regional transport hub). Could suggest some companies to contact if it were of use.

AX

Mr & Mrs Sep 20th 2006 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
No but I am still smiling to myself about seeing PEI referred to as 'remote'! :) You can at least drive from PEI to the rest of Canada without taking a ferry, so if you consider PEI remote I'm guessing NL must be somewhere near the end of the world.............. :D

BTW, strong B&B business in PEI but very seasonable, beautiful place, good weather (in the summer), cheap property. Strong demand for truckers in nearby NB. (Moncton being a regional transport hub). Could suggest some companies to contact if it were of use.

AX

I hope you haven't taken offence by my comments earlier as none were meant, I am a typical natterbox and sometimes forget to engage brain before speaking. I have never been to PEI and just automatically discounted it as it is an Island. No offence honestly. :o :o

Evy

willmore Sep 20th 2006 4:49 pm

Hi all,

Cordially

Manitoba - very very hot dry summers and incredibly cold winters - -35C with tons of snow when I was growing up there. Lots of black flies that actually take a piece of skin when they bite. Lots of beautiful lakes in and around the area and close to the ontario border.

Ontario - incredibly hot humid summers with smog warnings. Cold damp winters with snot (sometimes, last winter they didnt get snow in the KW area until xmas eve). Lots of beautiful lake areas.

Mr & Mrs Sep 20th 2006 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
Manitoba - very very hot dry summers and incredibly cold winters - -35C with tons of snow when I was growing up there. Lots of black flies that actually take a piece of skin when they bite. Lots of beautiful lakes in and around the area and close to the ontario border.

Ontario - incredibly hot humid summers with smog warnings. Cold damp winters with snot (sometimes, last winter they didnt get snow in the KW area until xmas eve). Lots of beautiful lake areas.

Thanks for your informative comments willmore! :D They both sound great, I'm still giving the edge to Ontario so far though.

Evy

Lees147 Sep 20th 2006 4:58 pm

I hope you haven't taken offence by my comments earlier as none were meant, I am a typical natterbox and sometimes forget to engage brain before speaking. I have never been to PEI and just automatically discounted it as it is an Island. No offence honestly. :o :o

Evy

Evy you shouldn't take any blame in this matter it was me that described it as remote...

I didn't think you could drive to and from 'the island'.

Is it possible for you to let me know if it is a good place to buy a hoiliday home?

My wife and I are thinking a place in PEI or even a cabin in Vancouver.

Mr & Mrs Sep 20th 2006 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Could suggest some companies to contact if it were of use.

AX

Yes Please AX! :)

Evy

dbd33 Sep 20th 2006 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lees147
Is it possible for you to let me know if it is a good place to buy a hoiliday home?

My wife and I are thinking a place in PEI or even a cabin in Vancouver.

Depends where you live, doesn't it? PEI may be wonderful but it lacks a major airport so, unless you have a private plane, or make a deal with someone who has, you wouldn't be able to make much use of it unless you lived nearby.

Grah Sep 20th 2006 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
There is massive truck traffic between southern Ontario and the east coast, the eastern seaboard of the US and the mid-west. I suppose there are also some lorries in Manitoba when the crops bloom or bud or whatever crops do but Ontario is about manufacturing and that means moving stuff week in week out. I'd either look at somewhere seasonal such as the Kawarthas or Haliburton or somewhere year round like Toronto or Ottawa.

Yes we only grow food here.... Which means stuff needs to be delivered here which means trucks and trains and therefore drivers galore but thats another thread.

B&B well it depends on your view
there aren't any means great opportunity or no chance.

What type of B&B do you want to Run?

long term guests, short term city town trippers, or long or short term relaxing, activiity hunters? ( ie fish hunt biking walkers etc

National parks etc may require you knowing some of the history local information or hiring guides. Hunting fishing B&B may require other things.

Try looking at Your business from start to finish in MB