Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Make sure you bring plenty of cash with you

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
Don`t they use chip and pin in Canada ?
Not yet, supposedly coming soon.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:53 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Will they put people's names on the cards too? My debit card has no name, just a number.... I presume that's so they can issue them on the spot though...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:54 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Yea, I applied from here in the UK and paid £100
They charged you £100 :curse: Dont they make enough money as it is ? The robbing b******s
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:55 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

They charged you £100 :curse: Dont they make enough money as it is ? The robbing b******s
Well, actually it was more than that.... £100 sterling, plus $35 to ship me the cards and cheques, which then put my account into overdraft because it had no funds in it (because I sent a UK cheque with them to open it with, it must be in the process of clearing somewhere....) and then they charged me a few cents interest! Oh yea and they charge $12 a month for the account......
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:58 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Well, actually it was more than that.... £100 sterling, plus $35 to ship me the cards and cheques, which then put my account into overdraft because it had no funds in it (because I sent a UK cheque with them to open it with, it must be in the process of clearing somewhere....) and then they charged me a few cents interest! Oh yea and they charge $12 a month for the account......
Honestly........these institutions really disgust me ! they just take as much as they can get away with !
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:00 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Honestly........these institutions really disgust me ! they just take as much as they can get away with !
Just the tip of the iceberg where Canada is concerned I'm sure....
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:07 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I just got RBC to phone Barclays to confirm my good standing with them. Sounds like it saved a lot of money.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by G77

HSBC Passport Account..... Gives you the top account fee-free for the first six months.... Balance over $4k, no fee.... the next account down has no fee for over $2K...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by R I C H
I just got RBC to phone Barclays to confirm my good standing with them. Sounds like it saved a lot of money.
I think, like anything, it comes down to who you get on the day and if they can be bothered to help.... If you get a good staff-member who has done things before AND got out of the right side of the bed that morning AND the stars are aligned properly..... then Maybe, just maybe, you'll be in luck
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_P
But if you happen to have an 'active' (i.e. used it before with PIN) chip and PIN card from elsewhere, a lot of the POS machines will ask for your PIN (and confuse the hell out of the person serving you!)

Canadian Banks don't seem to be issuing them yet
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:14 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Canadian Banks don't seem to be issuing them yet
I've been told that my existing RBC Visa card will be replaced in October with a chip and pin card.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
I can see what you're doing wrong. You're using google.co.uk to look up Canadian things. A common mistake amongst the technically inept. In future, you might find it helpful to use google.ca

Hope that helps. You're welcome.
You seriously recomend google.ca? I was actually using google.com for the search...but googling for "I feel lucky" there sends you to the UK page.

Anyway, it doesnt negate the fact that you think you are soooo funny, but are really just getting in the way of people finding the information they are looking for here....this isnt "the maple leaf"
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:52 am
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jamie677
Hi landed in calgary 3 weeks ago,love it here,but you need money for everything if you are new,gas,electric and moblie phones all asked for deposits and a few places will not take our british credit card so we have to get a canadian securer credit card with a deposit.
you get the deposits back in a year,but could not believe how hard it is to get stuff out here.
anyone else had this happen to them,and how long does it take to get a credit rating?
Yes, we had the same problems... We actually only just managed to get Canadian credit cards -- after 2 1/2 months. Mind you, in the end they did not ask for a deposit.

We also had to pay deposits on the mobile phones - will be such a pain to get them back as we are probably leaving next month!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:04 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Don`t they use chip and pin in Canada ?
I just got my new RBC VISA today with chip and pin. It's a bit of a novelty here.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:14 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
You seriously recomend google.ca? I was actually using google.com for the search...but googling for "I feel lucky" there sends you to the UK page.

Anyway, it doesnt negate the fact that you think you are soooo funny, but are really just getting in the way of people finding the information they are looking for here....this isnt "the maple leaf"
Apology accepted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.