Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Make sure you bring plenty of cash with you

Make sure you bring plenty of cash with you

Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice
Default Make sure you bring plenty of cash with you

Hi landed in calgary 3 weeks ago,love it here,but you need money for everything if you are new,gas,electric and moblie phones all asked for deposits and a few places will not take our british credit card so we have to get a canadian securer credit card with a deposit.
you get the deposits back in a year,but could not believe how hard it is to get stuff out here.
anyone else had this happen to them,and how long does it take to get a credit rating?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:56 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Make sure you bring plenty of cash with you

Everyone suffers these issues to a varying degree. Reckon on 12mths before credit problems are less noticeable.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

I have never had a problem using a British card here (assuming you tell the CC company) as I had been doing that for the past 12 years on our annual vacation before we actually moved here. Of course a Canadian card and bank account are better because you are not being penalised for overseas transactions and exchange.

We did have to put a deposit down for a credit card when we first got here, but after a month I went back to the bank and basically said I wanted the limit increased and the deposit reduced or I would go elsewhere. They agreed and we now have a $10,000 limit with a $1,000 security.

As R I C H says, it takes a while to build up a credit rating here, but it didn't stop us getting a mortgage and car loan (0%). It is store cards that seem the hardest to get!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:12 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem getting credit. If you have issues with the bank and have savings, consider investing in a GIC and securing any credit line & CC against that, you get the interest and still have the cash, they get the securirty. We use investments to secure the credit line, which gives us prime on any funds used.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:24 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Despite coming over with a pretty large sum of cash our bank would only give us a secured credit card.

We bought everything cash (house, car, household goods, etc). Over one year later I can't even get a Sears card because Mr Y is the primary credit card holder and I am the secondary person (not too bothered really because I didn't use store cards back in the UK either). Strangely enough though my name is on most of the household bills. I think its best that I get my own line of credit boosted though or I may be 'invisible' forever.

Mr Y was able to get a unsecured Canadian Tire credit card this year which is great because now his company expenses are kept separate from our own.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:31 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of the great mysteries of the world that borrowing x thousand dollars to buy a house is relatively easy for the new immigrant but getting an unsecured credit card for a few thousand is difficult. Nevertheless it's not an insurmountable problem - talk to the bank, be insistent, put some cash in a savings account and if neccessary start with a secured card.

I've never had a problem, incidentally, with using my UK credit card here. In fact the only problem I have is using it back in the UK being a chip and pin card I've forgotten the PIN for!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:35 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In fact the only problem I have is using it back in the UK being a chip and pin card I've forgotten the PIN for!
Don`t they use chip and pin in Canada ?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Never had a problem getting credit. If you have issues with the bank and have savings, consider investing in a GIC and securing any credit line & CC against that, you get the interest and still have the cash, they get the securirty. We use investments to secure the credit line, which gives us prime on any funds used.
We did just the same.
Because of our circumstances we didn't need credit as such but, obviously, a credit card was needed for several reasons so we deposited some funds into a GIC and the bank were quite happy.....And so were we!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
Not yet, I thinks its going to finally be introduced this year in places.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:58 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Not yet, I thinks its going to finally be introduced this year in places.
Thanks for that info ! I suppose its not been around that long in the UK anyway !
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:59 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of the great mysteries of the world that borrowing x thousand dollars to buy a house is relatively easy for the new immigrant but getting an unsecured credit card for a few thousand is difficult.
A mortgage is secured though, with a charge on the property, which other credit facilities are not as a rule.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
Nah. They generally don't even check the signature either.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:01 pm
Slightly Canadian

A mortgage is secured though, with a charge on the property, which other credit facilities are not as a rule.
Oh yes I know that. Still the cost of defaulting on a $200k mortgage & the bank having to reposses and sell the house is probably more than being a poor credit risk on a $2k unsecured visa wouldn't you think?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:05 pm
Banned

Oh yes I know that. Still the cost of defaulting on a $200k mortgage & the bank having to reposses and sell the house is probably more than being a poor credit risk on a $2k unsecured visa wouldn't you think?
It's whatever gives them the warm fuzzies. I guess it's more about risk, it is far easier for someone to do a bunk from credit card debt than a house.

However, I have long since stopped trying to figure out the rationale of the financial institutions.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:07 pm
NEMESIS

rationale of the financial institutions.
I dont think they know either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.