Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mainly caucasian or mixed?

Mainly caucasian or mixed?

Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mainly caucasian or mixed?

Originally Posted by Oink
TThey have the nerve to charge you $2.50 for a stale cake. Apparently they charge so much to subsidize a cafe so you can have the privilege of sitting there not understanding a word that's being said.

I'm no marketing genius but they won't last long if that's their business model.

I wouldn't go back there if I were you. That's one of the places where that fruit of my loins has found a job. I suppose she may be a cake staler.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is more to it than that. A lot of racism is really fear of the unknown. I would prefer to call it culturalism, but that sounds stupid. In other words, a lot of racism comes from fear of interacting with people who's culture you don't understand.

In a city like Vancouver people grow up with others of different hue and from different cultures. They share a common heritage and common values. They can interact without the fear of the unknown. They get more chance to see just how bloody stupid racism is.

People who grow up in a mono-culture in the rural backwoods don't have this benefit.

Yes, some people may be reluctant to speak their mind because of PC pressures (which is a good thing) but anyone who thinks they can cover up their thoughts by being polite is deluding themselves.
Agree, areas with a lot of immigrants are going to be more tolerant places - and I do think Vancouver is quite tolerant. Still - anecdotally I took my driving test a month ago. While waiting there were a couple of canadians - we got chatting about cars and stuff. Eventually they became openly racist (not at my prompting). They were waiting for the truck driving test mind, and I guess truckers everywhere are known for a certain level of bigotry.

Either way, I don't think the UK and Canada are that different - you'll get open racism and the 'with friend at the BBQ' kind too. Still if you want to see polite racism, visit asia.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I always found it funny when people preface a blatantly racist statement with, "I'm not a racist but . . ."

They seem to think that gives them unconditional authority to make whatever nasty racist comment they like.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:46 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I always found it funny when people preface a blatantly racist statement with, "I'm not a racist but . . ."

They seem to think that gives them unconditional authority to make whatever nasty racist comment they like.
A bit like emigrating cos of too many immigrants