Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Luggage tracker?

Luggage tracker?

Old Jul 21st 2022, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Skyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Luggage tracker?

Does anyone have experience of using these devices? AirTag or Tile seem to be the options, I would be interested if they are really useful.

Thanks for help!
Old Jul 21st 2022, 11:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Luggage tracker?

Originally Posted by Skyva
Does anyone have experience of using these devices? AirTag or Tile seem to be the options, I would be interested if they are really useful.

Thanks for help!
My daughter has Tile tags attached to her keys, the TV remote, her childrens' shoes, the water bottle she uses at work, everything a busy ditzy woman might lose. I assume, but don't know, that there's one attached to her husband. She swears by them. I fear the day that there's one attached to me next to the "Senile, Do Not Sell Him Cars" sign.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Skyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I guess what I want know is how effective they are at a distance, like across the Atlantic!
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 8:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skyva
Thank you. I guess what I want know is how effective they are at a distance, like across the Atlantic!

We have Apple Air Tag. You should be able to track your belongings anywhere in the world. Read this…

https://www.apple.com/ca/airtag/
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 9:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have Apple Air Tag. You should be able to track your belongings anywhere in the world. Read this…

Likewise, Apple Air Tag seems pretty good, testing it on long haul shortly but all the reports are positive
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 12:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

They're web based so, yes, they'll work regardless of location but, to me, that's like being able to open the garage door from Australia; clever in a way but useless.

Suppose you're in Mississauga. Your luggage is lost. The tracker shows that the bags are on the tarmac next to the plane you flew in on. You can't get the bags so knowing doesn't help. If you had no tracker you'd assume idiocy at Pearson, go home, wait for the bags. If you have the tracker, you have idiocy at Pearson confirmed, that adds to your frustration, you still go home and wait for the bags. If the tracker shows the bags have gone to Toronto, KS, as they so often do, you're no further ahead for knowing that.

Trackers are only helpful if the lost item is within your reach.

Old Jul 22nd 2022, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
They're web based so, yes, they'll work regardless of location but, to me, that's like being able to open the garage door from Australia; clever in a way but useless.

Suppose you're in Mississauga. Your luggage is lost. The tracker shows that the bags are on the tarmac next to the plane you flew in on. You can't get the bags so knowing doesn't help. If you had no tracker you'd assume idiocy at Pearson, go home, wait for the bags. If you have the tracker, you have idiocy at Pearson confirmed, that adds to your frustration, you still go home and wait for the bags. If the tracker shows the bags have gone to Toronto, KS, as they so often do, you're no further ahead for knowing that.

Trackers are only helpful if the lost item is within your reach.
I can’t wait to try it out. Unfortunately we are grounded at the moment due to the 11 month and counting, wait for PR card renewal.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 12:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently purchased some airtags as I keep losing my bloody car keys. I've also attached one to the dog's collar so the next time he escapes we at least know where he is in the woods even if we can't get to him. He's a frequent escape artist from the house and being a beagle, is a slave to his nose and the smells of birds/bunnies/squirrels etc in the woods. Bloody creature.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 12:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I can’t wait to try it out. Unfortunately we are grounded at the moment due to the 11 month and counting, wait for PR card renewal.
I'll be in England and Switzerland shortly, with the Tile user. Perhaps she can give me the IP address of her keys so I can find her at Gatwick.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 12:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I've recently purchased some airtags as I keep losing my bloody car keys. I've also attached one to the dog's collar so the next time he escapes we at least know where he is in the woods even if we can't get to him. He's a frequent escape artist from the house and being a beagle, is a slave to his nose and the smells of birds/bunnies/squirrels etc in the woods. Bloody creature.
I wish now that I'd tagged the keys I left on the roof of the car before driving off. The replacement key was $400+.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wish now that I'd tagged the keys I left on the roof of the car before driving off. The replacement key was $400+.
I have a motorcycle that requires a fob. The key remains in the ignition and the presence of the fob allows the key to move. Bike is parked in my garage with the steering lock on.

The fob is kept in my riding jacket and is only removed to change the batteries. I last rode the bike in the autumn of 2019.

When the pandemic craziness hit, and I needed to go to a Costco that introduced a face covering mandate, I thought, "Great, I will ride the bike and leave my helmet on." Got dressed and went to the bike and couldn't turn key due to "fob not being detected." Thought it was a battery issue until I couldn't find the fob in my jacket. F*&k but, I thought, "That is fine, I'll just get a new fob" and was expecting a fee like the one you have stated above. $2,500 was the response. Only paid $6,000 for the bike.

The bike remains in the garage and, each time the weather is nice and I see other bikers on their bike, I think about looking for the fob. I never do and it must be somewhere between the garage and the house, or in the house, as I couldn't have locked the steering without it, so it couldn't have fallen out while I was riding. If I ever find it, a tag will be glued to it.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 2:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have a motorcycle that requires a fob. The key remains in the ignition and the presence of the fob allows the key to move. Bike is parked in my garage with the steering lock on.

The fob is kept in my riding jacket and is only removed to change the batteries. I last rode the bike in the autumn of 2019.

When the pandemic craziness hit, and I needed to go to a Costco that introduced a face covering mandate, I thought, "Great, I will ride the bike and leave my helmet on." Got dressed and went to the bike and couldn't turn key due to "fob not being detected." Thought it was a battery issue until I couldn't find the fob in my jacket. F*&k but, I thought, "That is fine, I'll just get a new fob" and was expecting a fee like the one you have stated above. $2,500 was the response. Only paid $6,000 for the bike.

The bike remains in the garage and, each time the weather is nice and I see other bikers on their bike, I think about looking for the fob. I never do and it must be somewhere between the garage and the house, or in the house, as I couldn't have locked the steering without it, so it couldn't have fallen out while I was riding. If I ever find it, a tag will be glued to it.
I feel your pain with the bike. The little cog thingy at the bottom of the Healey's distributor shaft broke and the car is sitting through all this good weather waiting for parts. It'll run again in time for the snow, which is when I suppose you'll find the fob.

Old Jul 22nd 2022, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all. They sound worth a try.