Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lots of questions!

Lots of questions!

Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Lots of questions!

Hi all
Well we're due to make the big move (to Edmonton) in just over 4 weeks' time......gulp!

And unsurprisingly, I've got a few questions which I'm hoping some of you seasoned veterans can help with. So here goes:

1. Will the itinerary provided by the removals company suffice for customs as the listing of our personal effects which is being shipped or do we have to provide something more detailed?

2. If we're renting our house out back in the UK, I think we're eligible to claim tax back from HMRC. But I think there may also be some kind of income tax charged in Canada. Is this correct? And even if the rental income doesn't cover our mortgage payment in the UK, do we have to pay this or is there some way we can get tax relief on this?

3. Does anyone have any good suggestions for recruitment or job search websites/agencies (for Edmonton) - as my husband doesn't currently have a job to go to so will be a kept man until he finds something! (He's currently in the Armed Response Unit in the police and has a military background but....is not necessarily looking for security work - in fact, ideally not security work!)

4. Any tips for how best to clean shoes & other outdoor equipment ready for shipping over? Or is it just a case of a good old scrub with soap & water?

5. Are we allowed to ship any food in our container (I'm talking about tins and packets, stuff with a long shelf life)?

That's all I can think of right now - any help and advice is most gratefully received!

Many thanks

H
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all
Default Re: Lots of questions!

Has your husband considered Edmonton police service? If he has permanent residency status he can apply. They did use to recruit from non residents but seem to have temporarily suspended this. Good luck
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hermione

2. If we're renting our house out back in the UK, I think we're eligible to claim tax back from HMRC. But I think there may also be some kind of income tax charged in Canada. Is this correct? And even if the rental income doesn't cover our mortgage payment in the UK, do we have to pay this or is there some way we can get tax relief on this?
You have to declare the rental income and expenses on your Canadian tax return (when the time comes look at forms T776 and T1135). You only pay tax if you make a profit i.e rent received is greater than the sum of mortgage interest, insurance, repairs and maintenance, and managing agents fees.

If the above results in a loss you can set it against earned income.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

DJNG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hermione
Hi all
Well we're due to make the big move (to Edmonton) in just over 4 weeks' time......gulp!

And unsurprisingly, I've got a few questions which I'm hoping some of you seasoned veterans can help with. So here goes:

1. Will the itinerary provided by the removals company suffice for customs as the listing of our personal effects which is being shipped or do we have to provide something more detailed?

3. Does anyone have any good suggestions for recruitment or job search websites/agencies (for Edmonton) - as my husband doesn't currently have a job to go to so will be a kept man until he finds something! (He's currently in the Armed Response Unit in the police and has a military background but....is not necessarily looking for security work - in fact, ideally not security work!)

4. Any tips for how best to clean shoes & other outdoor equipment ready for shipping over? Or is it just a case of a good old scrub with soap & water?

5. Are we allowed to ship any food in our container (I'm talking about tins and packets, stuff with a long shelf life)?

That's all I can think of right now - any help and advice is most gratefully received!

Many thanks

H
Hi, Can only help with a couple of points

1. Was for us - we found customs office pretty helpful when we went to the office to sort out the release of our container

3. Executrade and Roevin may be able to help, I went to Executrade with my resume for an interview, they then set me up with some interviews with companies interested in my resume - they can also give good advice on applications, resumes etc

4. We were advised a good scrub with soap and water and spray with something that smells antiseptic (did this to golf clubs) - nobody checked anyway!

5. No (that's what we were told anyway) most stuff apart from good bacon can be found with a bit of time and effort (and at a cost)

Welcome to Edmonton - bring your thermals! (actually buy winter gear here its cheaper) We've been here three years and not looked back, PM if you any help/info or want to meet up for a chat - good luck
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:14 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJNG
We've been here three years and not looked back
Stiff neck from the sub-antarctic winters I suppose.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Will try to answer some of your questions

Should be okay...that is what we will be using.

You should ask this question before you leave, but I am pretty sure that you will only pay the tax in UK or Canada....not in both.

Cant offer advice as we are going to Ontario

We have been told, scrub with soap and water, and then use either bleach or Jeyes fluid, so that when the item is looked at it smells cleaned.

We have been told yes. No fresh stuff or meat products. We are taking squash, walkers crisps, Baked Beans, McVities choc digestives, herbs, spice, seasonings (dont list oxo by name include it in the latter) Condiments, Heinz Tomato sause, HP sauce and Hellmans Mayo.....can get in Canada...but expensive, Garlic Puree, chocolate. Only taking some to get me started...and to have familiar things in the cupboard.

Hope this helps
lol
Stef
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich07
Has your husband considered Edmonton police service? If he has permanent residency status he can apply. They did use to recruit from non residents but seem to have temporarily suspended this. Good luck
Yes, he has already applied but we're initially going over on temp work visas (sponsored by my Firm) and will be applying for PR once we're there, so cos EPS have stopped sponsoring overseas applicants, they won't progress his application until we've got PR status. We have a very good friend who moved over there on the EPS overseas programme so we have good inside contacts in EPS already and will be exploiting those to the extreme when we're there!

Thanks!
H