Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for work - aargh!!

Looking for work - aargh!!

Old May 7th 2009, 4:59 pm
manc born and bred

michele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for work - aargh!!

Hi guys not posted for a while - life and stuff!! To cut a long story short I've been looking for work for over a year now, I must apply for 3-5 jobs per week and have had the total amount of 2 interviews!! My canadian friend has checked over my Resume and says it's great, so just wondering what the heck do I have to do to get a decent job. In UK I was an Admin Supervisor with over 20 years experience in all aspects of admin/salesand purchase ledger I can't even get a poxy office job and it's driving me crazy. Any tips, advice anything basically to help!! I'm at home all day with my son who's 3 so it's difficult to go knocking on doors - most of my job searching is done through the internet but am now at the point where I'm just about ready to crack up. Sure my hubby thinks there's something seriously wrong with me Look forward to your thoughts
Old May 7th 2009, 5:04 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work - aargh!!

Originally Posted by michele
Hi guys not posted for a while - life and stuff!! To cut a long story short I've been looking for work for over a year now, I must apply for 3-5 jobs per week and have had the total amount of 2 interviews!! My canadian friend has checked over my Resume and says it's great, so just wondering what the heck do I have to do to get a decent job. In UK I was an Admin Supervisor with over 20 years experience in all aspects of admin/salesand purchase ledger I can't even get a poxy office job and it's driving me crazy. Any tips, advice anything basically to help!! I'm at home all day with my son who's 3 so it's difficult to go knocking on doors - most of my job searching is done through the internet but am now at the point where I'm just about ready to crack up. Sure my hubby thinks there's something seriously wrong with me Look forward to your thoughts
1) Apply for 30-50
2) Think outside the box (if you arent already)
Old May 7th 2009, 5:11 pm
manc born and bred

Must have applied for hundreds and hundreds so far!! Only problem is there aren't that many out there at the moment!
Old May 7th 2009, 5:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to arrange some sort of care for a 3 year old anyway if you land a job, so maybe its worth considering leaving him with someone for a few hours while job seeking? Using only the internet will limit your chances, word of mouth and resumes on file already will usually fill a job here long before its posted online Im afraid.

Its not the easiest time to be looking for work...
Old May 7th 2009, 5:15 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Try talking to a recruiting agency, with a view to sitting down over a coffee with someone to see if you're doing something wrong. I found them to be quite open to informal meetings.

I suspect that your weakness is that lots of other people do what you do, and they've got experience in doing it here. You may need to dumb-down your resume.

I went through what you are going through for over two years. I never found a job with a Canadian employer.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:15 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Must have applied for hundreds and hundreds so far!! Only problem is there aren't that many out there at the moment!
I was being nasty Michelle

Just checked your location (properly) and I imagine if the reports of economic doom are even 50% correct there wont be many jobs around. I know the saturday job supplement in the Herald is way down now (3/4 pages down from 10+) and I honestly dont think things are THAT here, so yeah it cant be easy where you are.

Wish you luck.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:23 pm
manc born and bred

Thanks guys! Guess I'll just keep plodding on might look into doing some further education will keep you posted
Old May 7th 2009, 5:27 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there are a lot of us in the same boat as you at the moment. I have been looking for an office based job for 18 months, apply for just about everything that comes along but not so much as an interview yet. At the moment there aren't any even to apply for. Its frustrating and depressing but it's just the way it is so keep trying and good luck.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

I'm unskilled worker in Canada and I can tell you it is very hard to find work. I think I apply for about 1500-2000 jobs all over the country this when there was tons and tons of employment. I gave up and made employment for myself. I stated an ebay business within 3 years I was doing the hiring. I've Never looked back since. The point I'm trying to make is to forget about what you used to be and start looking at what other jobs you can do. It could be supervisor at a Walmart or Working in coffee shop they must be other jobs that you can apply for and get a foot in the door. My trouble was I didn't have any Canadian Experience. That's what they were looking for.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:42 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you usually apply for jobs? Use the phone wherever possible, emails just get deleted. A temping agency is also a good way to get your foot in the door....
Old May 7th 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

A long shot I know but have you ever thought of being a childminder? Maybe you want to escape the three yr old!!! BUT....So many people post on here about how hard it is to find good childcare....Could be a little buddy for your little one and plus you make some money....??

Not sure how you go about it in Ontario but here in Calgary it seems to be almost disturbingly easy!!!!

Good luck anyway
Lisa
Old May 7th 2009, 7:43 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Networking is the way to go - it's how a lot of people get to the interview stage.

I never got one reply when I sent out me resume a couple of years ago. I eventually got an interview through contacts. Got my job initially (mental health) on a 'casual' basis (another popular route here), then was asked to also work in their main office. 8 months later I successfully gained a staff position within the organisation

Good luck

Last edited by Cookie; May 7th 2009 at 7:58 pm. Reason: Bold and red
Old May 7th 2009, 7:49 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Networking is the way to go - it's how a lot of people get to the interview stage.

I never got one reply when I sent out me resume a couple of years ago. I eventually got an interview through contacts. Got my job initially (mental health) on a 'casual' basis (another popular route here), then was asked to also work in their main office. 8 months later I successfully gained a staff position within the organisation

Good luck
You should have written that in much, much bigger typeface. The importance of networking cannot be stressed enough.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
You should have written that in much, much bigger typeface. The importance of networking cannot be stressed enough.
Definitely worth repeating:

The importance of networking cannot be stressed enough.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Id taken that as a given. I should stop presuming people have the sense to read the wiki before posting

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada...erent%21%21%21
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.