Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for work - aargh!!

Looking for work - aargh!!

Old May 8th 2009, 10:22 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work - aargh!!

Originally Posted by Rob_999
YES !! Next time I suggest walking your dog near the urban planning offices
I did try loitering at Burnaby City Hall planning department when I went to get the dog licences - but the security man gave me an odd look!!
Old May 8th 2009, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ks65
To OP, you are sitting in a University town, University admin dept's are short on budget and high on staff turnover, it might be an idea to volunteer in one of the depts (they will not turn you down), then when an opportunity does arise - you have a foot in the door. Just a thought..
Its just a local University, not a full-size University like UBC or U of Alberta etc.

Just a small local college with a fancy name when the province reclassified it as a University last year.

I am working with the campus job office people, they are somewhat helpful but the same as most career centres, just not enough jobs in the area in the low end, unskilled department and high unemployment, 12% last I read.
Old May 11th 2009, 8:31 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

I have done everything to seek employment....I am so frustrated.(no wise cracks please).

Emails, phone calls, meetings, cold calling, agencies, websites and NETWORKING . A VP from a huge construction company on Friday told me that I am more qualified than most of his Engineers, however they would consider someone 1st who has Canadian experience. He said that there is a lot of Engineers out of work at the minute and they would consider them before me.

I have now applied for shop work. admin work and sales and still have not been successful as yet. I have a library of cover letters and resumes for all the job opportunities.

So to all the people who have posts well done. To all the people who are still looking good luck.

I am climbing the walls here.....

Hi Bells. How is going.

Last edited by KJM; May 11th 2009 at 8:40 pm.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:51 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJM
I have done everything to seek employment....I am so frustrated.(no wise cracks please).

Emails, phone calls, meetings, cold calling, agencies, websites and NETWORKING . A VP from a huge construction company on Friday told me that I am more qualified than most of his Engineers, however they would consider someone 1st who has Canadian experience. He said that there is a lot of Engineers out of work at the minute and they would consider them before me.

I have now applied for shop work. admin work and sales and still have not been successful as yet. I have a library of cover letters and resumes for all the job opportunities.

So to all the people who have posts well done. To all the people who are still looking good luck.

I am climbing the walls here.....

Hi Bells. How is going.
Hi KJM - oh the fun life of a part time bakery person!!! its ok - its getting me out!
Old May 12th 2009, 3:34 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hi KJM - oh the fun life of a part time bakery person!!! its ok - its getting me out!
I would love to play with all that yeast.

Lucky for me I have a good friend who makes sure that I get out.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:58 am
half a century

Originally Posted by KJM
I would love to play with all that yeast.

Lucky for me I have a good friend who makes sure that I get out.
I need one too - but Gibson is doing a grand job!!

No yeast tho -all bloody pre prepared frozen stuff!!~