Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for work!

Looking for work!

Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for work!

When we need HGV drivers , forklift , yard workers then 1 or 2 pages are fine, 8 pages would be too much and go right to the bin, if its for an IT post then I need as much info as possible so 8 pages would be fine, but if the first couple of pages bored me then it would hit the bin as well

I like the ones with there picture on the front page, it gives me a connection right away
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:09 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamikaze
...if its for an IT post then I need as much info as possible so 8 pages would be fine...
Hmmm, not sure why.

I like the ones with there picture on the front page, it gives me a connection right away
I wish they'd allow that. It'd stop me working with some of the munters i've had to with in the past, and no doubt in the future.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:13 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

When we need HGV drivers , forklift , yard workers then 1 or 2 pages are fine, 8 pages would be too much and go right to the bin, if its for an IT post then I need as much info as possible so 8 pages would be fine, but if the first couple of pages bored me then it would hit the bin as well

I've been asked to submit a CV after they had read my resume. I think all those short listed for interview were asked for one.

The one's that I feel the urge to bin are those with spelling and grammatical errors, those that are badly formatted.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of

When we are looking for "meat robots" I dont need there life story so 2 pages will do @£10p/h I can replace them if they turn out to be nutters, but for IT work where we are paying much more money and sending them out to meet our clients we want there life story, one bad worker can cost you a contract The more info I have about them the better informed I am
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:25 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

When we are looking for "meat robots" I dont need there life story so 2 pages will do @£10p/h I can replace them if they turn out to be nutters, but for IT work where we are paying much more money and sending them out to meet our clients we want there life story, one bad worker can cost you a contract The more info I have about them the better informed I am
I don't know any "IT" people that wouldn't be embarrassed by an 8 page cv. I've never seen one in my life and I have occasionally been involved in recruiting software developers.

I would think IT would need short cv's. A list of skills being the most important - waffly shit can be covered in the letter.

And how much is "a lot more money" anyway?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

we are talking about what would make it stand out ! remember
8 pages would stand out...........
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:28 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

And vital statistics if the picture is only a head shot.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

LOL I have to work with these people and it bursts your bubble when they turn up and as soon as you clap eyes on them you think If there a bug eyed nutter look a like then you have wasted everybodys time, I dont like to look in the mirror when I talk to staff
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

When we are looking for "meat robots" I dont need there life story so 2 pages will do @£10p/h I can replace them if they turn out to be nutters,
I don't want anyones life story, whatever job I am filling. A good resume writer can say everything they need to in 2 pages.

for IT work where we are paying much more money and sending them out to meet our clients we want there life story, one bad worker can cost you a contract The more info I have about them the better informed I am
That's what the interview is for.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I don't want anyones life story, whatever job I am filling. A good resume writer can say everything they need to in 2 pages.

That's what the interview is for.

I dont tend to employ resume writers, do you ?
You do it your way, I do it mine, but I am sure you are right and I am wrong, sorry
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:42 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Meat robots?? What a condescending way to talk about people.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:47 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I do. Everyone who send me a resume is a 'resume writer' how else could I read their resume
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Meat robots?? What a condescending way to talk about people.
Condescending.................pot, kettle and all that, and for your information for the most part there called F**kers most of the time, and if there not happy then they can F**k off, infact now I think of it you have back tracked this thread just to find fault and start trying to get on my wick again, its not all about you so stop trying to cause trouble
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:51 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

You do it your way, I do it mine, but I am sure you are right and I am wrong, sorry
You can't be wrong as you are the employer - you can set whatever rules you want on resume writing and choose to interview verbose essay writers if you wish.

The majority of employers seem to only want one or two pages though and if I was looking for a job I'd be aiming at them rather than the occasional idiosyncratic employer looking for my life story in cv format.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:54 am

for the most part there called F**kers most of the time, and if there not happy then they can F**k off, infact now I think of it you have back tracked this thread just to find fault and start trying to get on my wick again, its not all about you so stop trying to cause trouble
Says it all!

Oh and it's 'they're not' not 'there not'. Careful a spelling mistake can get your resume thrown out

Try this it might help
http://www.better-english.com/easier/theyre.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.