Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Oakville, Ontario

Looking to move to Oakville, Ontario

Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:55 pm
Are we there yet?

Catri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud of
Default Looking to move to Oakville, Ontario

Hi,
I have just joined this forum and would be very grateful for any advice.
We are from the UK and looking into emigrating to Oakville.
I am a Registered Nurse and my husband is a Plumber who has his own business.
We have 3 school aged daughters.
We are going to the Canada Live Expo in Feb 2013 in London to get info about visas, employment etc.
If all goes to plan we hope to visit Oakville this Summer to see if this is the area we would want to move to.
I just would be interested if anyone here had moved to Oakville and any advice you may have?
We also have 2 dogs who would be coming with us. A small dog and a rather large 70kg Newfoundland!
So we would obviously need advice on dog transport etc.
Many thanks.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Oakville, Ontario

Hi and welcome to the BE community.

There are quite a few Oakville or ex oakville posters here, so you should get some good info. Also take a look at the wiki (follow the links from the read me posts at the top of the lists). Loads of info on transporting pets and lots of old threads to search too.

There are mixed reports about the immigration expos, sometimes those attending seem to know more than the exhibitors about the realities of the process, and go in with your eyes open about the motivations of those attending as exhibitors

Nursing is one of those regulated professions where there are a few hoops to jump through to gain membership of the Canadian (more specifically Ontario) club in order to get a job. probably a wiki on nursing too come to think of it, if not there are lots of posts on that one too you can wade through at your leasure, and plenty of helpfull posters to help answer questions.

Good Luck! Whats the attraction of moving to Oakville?

Last edited by iaink; Jan 7th 2013 at 2:23 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:27 pm
Are we there yet?

Catri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud of

Hi iaink,
Thanks for your very quick reply.
I agree with your comments about the Expo.
Just not sure how to start the visa process and wanted advice if it was a realistic hope that we could move or not!
I will keep searching on this forum and let you know how I get on at the Expo.
Thanks again!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Beware of snake oil salesmen immigration consultants who promise the world for a hefty fee. Being an "informed consumer" and getting some grounding in Canadian immigration via the wiki on this forum and the www.cic.gc.ca website is to be advised. That way you'll know if someone is bullsh****g you.

Not all immigration consultants and lawyers are dodgy, in fact we used one ourselves back in the day. But, from reading posts on here, my sense is that immigration expo's can attract some bottom feeders.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:58 pm
Are we there yet?

Thanks Atlantic Xpat.
Good advice about the dodgy bottom feeders!
We had experienced in the past a real slimy one who kept phoning us when we had made some on line enquiries.
He was a pain in the Wotsit!!
Thanks for the link you sent. Will make sure I am fully informed myself before I go.
Many thanks.