Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for Childcare work?

Looking for Childcare work?

Old May 20th 2006, 9:46 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Looking for Childcare work?

Can anyone help I work with children and was wondering what the best way to find work would be, or if anyone has gone over to Canada through working with children either nannying or daycare?

I'm going over in October and was wondering if handing out resume's would be a good option? Can I just turn up on there doorsteps, as in the UK it wouldn't be appreciated to do this?

I dont know how my childcare qualification is assessed over in Canada and would I need to take up more training? If it is hard to get a job in daycare then I would think about Nannying.

What your thoughts?

Much appreciated
Old May 20th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice
Default Re: Looking for Childcare work?

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Can anyone help I work with children and was wondering what the best way to find work would be, or if anyone has gone over to Canada through working with children either nannying or daycare?

I'm going over in October and was wondering if handing out resume's would be a good option? Can I just turn up on there doorsteps, as in the UK it wouldn't be appreciated to do this?

I dont know how my childcare qualification is assessed over in Canada and would I need to take up more training? If it is hard to get a job in daycare then I would think about Nannying.

What your thoughts?

Much appreciated
Hi Or4ngecrush,

I work as a pre-school teacher in NS, (I am NOT a teacher from uk,) but i have a qualification similar to NNEB. I had to send in all my qualifications into community services here and they agreed i had the ECE, which is the same as NNEB. So, i would say depending on what qualifications you have from Uk You should be able to get work easy in daycare or as nanny. I am doing childcare from my home during summer months and afterschool care in September aswell as preschool. But all i will say, that the wages for any type of childcare work here in NS, (not sure about other provinces) are crap. Where are you moving to?
Old May 20th 2006, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi Or4ngecrush,

I work as a pre-school teacher in NS, (I am NOT a teacher from uk,) but i have a qualification similar to NNEB. I had to send in all my qualifications into community services here and they agreed i had the ECE, which is the same as NNEB. So, i would say depending on what qualifications you have from Uk You should be able to get work easy in daycare or as nanny. I am doing childcare from my home during summer months and afterschool care in September aswell as preschool. But all i will say, that the wages for any type of childcare work here in NS, (not sure about other provinces) are crap. Where are you moving to?
Well I'm thinking about Halifax and the wages here are crap too and comparing it to the cost of living in the expensive Edinburgh I should have better living conditions over in Canada, although I'll probably be on the same sort of income as here. I have an SVQ Early Years Childcare and Education Level Three (Scottish Vocational Qualification) It allows me to be a Nursery Nurse in Scotland and to work in Nurseries. Did you send your qualifications to community services before you found work or did you do it when you were over in Canada?
Old May 20th 2006, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Well I'm thinking about Halifax and the wages here are crap too and comparing it to the cost of living in the expensive Edinburgh I should have better living conditions over in Canada, although I'll probably be on the same sort of income as here. I have an SVQ Early Years Childcare and Education Level Three (Scottish Vocational Qualification) It allows me to be a Nursery Nurse in Scotland and to work in Nurseries. Did you send your qualifications to community services before you found work or did you do it when you were over in Canada?

Hi,

I sent them when i arrived here. I was looking to work in schools as EPA (education programe assiatant) as this is what i did for last 7 years in uk. It's not so easy to get into schools here, as a teachers aide it is. So I looked for preschool. I really enjoy it and have met many friends. My son has gone to same preschool since we arrivewd in july last year, we have last week next week then we break for the summer. Along time off,that's why i need to get childcare for summer to earn a bit more money. When are you over in Halifax?
Old May 20th 2006, 1:27 pm

Hi,
When are you over in Halifax?
I'll be over in October 14th-21st.
Old May 20th 2006, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll be over in October 14th-21st.
If you need anymore info, pm me, what area's of halifax are you looking at?
Old May 20th 2006, 5:18 pm

If you need anymore info, pm me, what area's of halifax are you looking at?
Thanks for that I don't know anything about the different areas of Hailfax so I'm not sure on that one but was thinking about renting first to get an idea. If you have any thoughts on what areas then let me know?