Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice from UK electrician/engineer in Canada

Looking for advice from UK electrician/engineer in Canada

Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough
Default Looking for advice from UK electrician/engineer in Canada

Hi,

I am an english electrician living in Perth for the last four years, and I am thinking of relocating to Canada. Just wondered how difficult it is to get recognition of trade/qualifications in Canada and if there are some good work opportunities. I'm particularly interested in work around Toronto.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

parker14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for advice from UK electrician/engineer in Canada

Well, for a start you will need your visa before you need to worry about skills recognition. If you don't have a job offer then the FSW route is probably the best option. Once you have that you need to get your credentials assessed over here in Canada. Apparently you can work for up to six months before needing to take and pass the exam. Work is picking up in most provinces with Alberta being the best so I believe. Like I said though, visa/permit etc. comes first usually. If you are doing it like myself (electrician with no job offer) then I would say the FSW route is for you.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

matt_t is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for advice from UK electrician/engineer in Canada

Originally Posted by jamiefrod
Hi,

I am an english electrician living in Perth for the last four years, and I am thinking of relocating to Canada. Just wondered how difficult it is to get recognition of trade/qualifications in Canada and if there are some good work opportunities. I'm particularly interested in work around Toronto.
Most employers are asking for "Red Seal" which is a national recognition for most tradesmen, there are 3 types of electrician red seal exams. Construction, Industrial, Power Line I believe. You have to have a minimum amount of experience to qualify to challenge the Red Seal exams AND you have to be a permanent resident or on a temporary working permit (I think) to even apply.

I waiting for my PR visa to come through before I apply to challenge Red Seal. While i'm still in the UK and can use my current employer to fill out the forms etc.