Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

For Expats in Canada

For Expats in Canada

Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Jolly Begger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For Expats in Canada

Can someone please sell me a story, why it would be good to move to Canada.

Right now mid 20's, Living in London at the mo. Just feel the time is that I want to move across the Atlantic with in the next two years.
America was looking good untill I saw SICKO by Michael Moore mmm you may wonder( I am on quiet alot of tablets a month)

If I was going to move to Canada I would be looking at maybe Calgary or the GTA(Toronto). Would like to hear from expats that have moved froma big city in the UK to tell us what it is like living in obe of the citys in Canada.

And would it be right to go on holiday to canada first and for how long? Cos i have read story when people just move there and don't go over there first on holiday, same as alot of people living in London seen London on the TV move there and think its great when its not really to them.

Last edited by Jolly Begger; Jul 21st 2011 at 12:11 am. Reason: To make a bigger story
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For Expats in Canada

Depends on your circumstances in the UK. Some background would help.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jolly Begger
Do you want to pay by the word????
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:13 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

$500 and its yours.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:34 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
$500 and its yours.
Cheap at half the price.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:53 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

To cut a long story short, they moved to Canada and spent 75% of their income on prescriptions cos they're on quite a lot of tablets a month. On the plus side, they look forward to each night for it's during sleep they can live the dream.

The end
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:00 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo
To cut a long story short, they moved to Canada and spent 75% of their income on prescriptions cos they're on quite a lot of tablets a month. On the plus side, they look forward to each night for it's during sleep they can live the dream.

The end
Bingo
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:28 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Canada, Free Healthcare, but if you dont have benefits through work (many dont), then the tab for Rx drugs is all your own.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Canada, Free Healthcare, but if you dont have benefits through work (many dont), then the tab for Rx drugs is all your own.
Remembering, of course, that most provinces have a catastrophic drug program that limits the cost to 3% to 5% of your income.

People think of it as low income, but it's not.

If your income is $100k and your meds and supplies are more than $5k - by no means unusual - you qualify.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:08 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Remembering, of course, that most provinces have a catastrophic drug program that limits the cost to 3% to 5% of your income.

People think of it as low income, but it's not.

If your income is $100k and your meds and supplies are more than $5k - by no means unusual - you qualify.
Fair point, but if the OP is considering Canada instead of the US because of the medicare, then he should think again. There are many good reasons to consider living here, but thats probably not one of them.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Right now mid 20's, Living in London at the mo. Just feel the time is that I want to move across the Atlantic with in the next two years.
America was looking good untill I saw SICKO by Michael Moore mmm you may wonder( I am on quiet alot of tablets a month)

If I was going to move to Canada I would be looking at maybe Calgary or the GTA(Toronto). Would like to hear from expats that have moved froma big city in the UK to tell us what it is like living in obe of the citys in Canada.

And would it be right to go on holiday to canada first and for how long? Cos i have read story when people just move there and don't go over there first on holiday, same as alot of people living in London seen London on the TV move there and think its great when its not really to them.
There's also the fact that you are unlikely to be able to get into America.

You are young enough to take a work holiday visa so why not live a little and come and see for yourself.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, so you think the UK is rubbish but you want someone else to persuade you Canada is better. Also, you've decided the US sucks based on a piece of fairly shameless propaganda (whatever you think of Michael Moore, you can't possibly think he's unbiased in his viewpoint). I'm not normally so judgmental, but, really, you need to think very carefully about yourself before blaming your problems, whatever they may be, on where you're living right now.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

beaujolais is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you visit and make your own story. Every one moves for their own reason- Canada is vast and very versatile. Travel a bit, stay a while, but don't move on someone elses say so....... Good luck
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Hmmm, so you think the UK is rubbish but you want someone else to persuade you Canada is better. I'm not normally so judgmental, but, really, you need to think very carefully about yourself before blaming your problems, whatever they may be, on where you're living right now.
The OP didn't say the UK is rubbish, and neither did he say he had any problems, other than needing some tablets. He didn't ask for a judgment, just to hear other peoples stories for coming to Canada.

So here's mine: I came to Calgary because it has jobs, mountain hiking and skiing. I have had plenty of each!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
The OP didn't say the UK is rubbish
You missed his location then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.