Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

long haul canada

long haul canada

Old May 7th 2015, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

bigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond repute
Default long haul canada

hi Guys , I am thinking of going to canada on a temport work visa on the long with long haul trucking route with a view on getting PR through the PNP . mostly looking at Saskatchewan saskatoon area or maby prince edward island due to the shorter PNP times in both compaired to BC . I have 8 years long haul in uk . I would really like any up to date information or tips on companys to apply to or any general information to help me get a clearer picture . I think LMIA are a bit of a problem at the minute ? BISON in minatoba said they have none at this time . ( they replied same day to my email )
I am also in the process of getting a canadian working holiday visa from the cic as a soft of back up which should get me a open work visa ( i am 35 so just managed to get an irish one and i am half irish and have irish pasport ) . An companys to aim for or to avoid ? is any body even hireing at the moment ?

thanks
Old May 7th 2015, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

bigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: long haul canada

sorry posted in the wrong section . moderator feel free to delete this thread as i have reposted in the canada trucking section
Old May 10th 2015, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

The man next door does it always down into US for a week at a time told me he drives 16 hours some days
Old May 10th 2015, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

if "the man next door" drives for 16hrs somedays in the USA he is going to be away for more than a week if he is caught!
Old May 10th 2015, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

It's nor regulated here like UK
Just a log book and very rare anyone checks
He says on odd occasions he has drove 18 hours
Even car drivers going east drive non stop 18 hours just stop for toilet and food
Did you here about Nevarda in US licensing driverless trucks ?
Old May 10th 2015, 8:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
Even car drivers going east drive non stop 18 hours just stop for toilet and food
Oh, there are rules. Look up hours of service trucking Canada.
Old May 10th 2015, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

im sure "the man next door " will be happy that you put it on an open forum that he breaks the law in the USA as the fines /and what they will do to him will make your eyes water!
The regs are there all right as I know to my cost and that was just an axle overweight ticket (not gross) not thank goodness a log violation.
if you have a bad accident in the states ,they will check the logs way back and even a minor hrs infringement will be vv bad news as they recon if you didnt falsify your logs you would not have been there to have the accident.
To the OP what sort of driving are you interested/experienced in??? as you could live in the truck and be out for a month or so OR 14days out and back for a reset,lots of options. jimmy
Old May 10th 2015, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
Regular car drivers have no regulations when it comes to driving. Commercial drivers do, big difference, one is breaking no laws, the other is.

More like an autopilot to me, the driver is still there, and the truck can't do city streets, and hands over to the driver when conditions are beyond its capability.

Daimler’s Driverless 18-Wheelers Approved to Cruise Nevada’s Highways | Singularity HUB

Driverless to me would be zero need for a human to be there, this truck still needs a human.

May as well call planes pilotless then since auto pilot can do much of the work, but still need pilots to be there.
Old May 11th 2015, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
if "the man next door" drives for 16hrs somedays in the USA he is going to be away for more than a week if he is caught!

You beat me to it lol
It is legal to be at work for 16 hours in a day, even every day if you know your Canadian HOS (Hours Of Service) well and how to log those hours. BUT there are other constraints that would in most cases stop you logging 16 hours work every day. Also the maximum you can log for driving and on duty in Canada is 13 hours (USA 14 hours with 11 on duty/driving)
As the truckers on here know there are a lot of variables and lets not go there as it will bore the none truckers to death lol
Most companies check their drivers log books, The company i work for is PIC (Partners In Compliance) and if you mess up your HOS you will be in my office and the disciplinary procedure begins and if you don't change your ways you will be terminated.
Elogs are coming, a lot already have them and the driver CANNOT tamper with them.
There are unfortunately some companies who do flowt the HOS laws but the majority work within those laws.
Old May 11th 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Regular car drivers have no regulations when it comes to driving. Commercial drivers do, big difference, one is breaking no laws, the other is.

More like an autopilot to me, the driver is still there, and the truck can't do city streets, and hands over to the driver when conditions are beyond its capability.

Daimler’s Driverless 18-Wheelers Approved to Cruise Nevada’s Highways | Singularity HUB

Driverless to me would be zero need for a human to be there, this truck still needs a human.

May as well call planes pilotless then since auto pilot can do much of the work, but still need pilots to be there.
This technology has been around for some time its only recently its been applied to achieve what you call "Auto Pilot" I have a video of an actual actros driving itself in Europe (they closed the road) but i cant post videos on here, Looks impressive but thankfully the driver is still there and can take control at any point. I'll see if i can find it online and post a link.

That didnt take long lol Heres the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIe9gSRBQTk
Old May 11th 2015, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was just informed Freightliner have also just demonstrated an "Autonomous" truck too so the Mercedes will have a sister truck to keep it company in AZ.
Old May 11th 2015, 9:34 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

4 of 50 driverless cars in California have been in accidents, I wonder how that compares to the human element?