Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrician looking to move to Canada

Electrician looking to move to Canada

Old Mar 22nd 2015, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

cc1xo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician looking to move to Canada

Hi, i'm looking to move to Canada, mainly in Calgary as it's where I've heard the best job opportunities are but i'm looking for some advice on websites etc to look on to try and find jobs etc?

I've been having a look around the net but I thought it may be better to ask people who have been in my position before and have the first hand experience of this type of stuff.

I'm not closed to the idea of a different province, that's just where I've been told was the best place to be looking however, I'm sure if someone on here has better info regarding this i'd be happy to listen.

I've been doing alot of research, I know what i need to know about the IEC and the fact i'd be required to sit the Red Seal exam to qualify me to be able to work in Canada.

Thanks, in advance.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to Canada

Hi, amd welcome to BE.

Have a good look at the Wiki, as that's got loads of info on job hunting and websites in it. It will also give you info on what you need to do to work in Canada as an electrician and getting licensed.

Hopefully others will be along shortly to advise on how work for electricians has been affected by the economic downturn in AB.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cc1xo
Hi, i'm looking to move to Canada, mainly in Calgary as it's where I've heard the best job opportunities are but i'm looking for some advice on websites etc to look on to try and find jobs etc?

I've been having a look around the net but I thought it may be better to ask people who have been in my position before and have the first hand experience of this type of stuff.

I'm not closed to the idea of a different province, that's just where I've been told was the best place to be looking however, I'm sure if someone on here has better info regarding this i'd be happy to listen.

I've been doing alot of research, I know what i need to know about the IEC and the fact i'd be required to sit the Red Seal exam to qualify me to be able to work in Canada.

Thanks, in advance.
Can tell you from direct recent experience over the last 2-3 months we are seeing a lot of the guys who were out in northern AB, and specifically those on camps coming back into BC, and transferring to residential construction projects, or maintenance roles. Realistically the Oil & Gas sector will take a the very least 18 - 24 months before things pick up again.

Depending on your background, at present there is a “reasonable” amount of construction work for residential electricians (mainly timber frame) in Surrey, BC and Richmond BC.

Vancouver, BC there are a few commercial & residential construction programs ongoing, and a few commercial towers due to start later this year, but nothing substantial right now.

Alternatively, back east consider Toronto, or Ottawa, both still have large skill shortages for both construction, and maintenance trades.

First step it to get your redseal, and get your feet on the ground here; the trades are still 90% Union Hall, local word of mouth, and recommendation.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisro55
Can tell you from direct recent experience over the last 2-3 months we are seeing a lot of the guys who were out in northern AB, and specifically those on camps coming back into BC, and transferring to residential construction projects, or maintenance roles. Realistically the Oil & Gas sector will take a the very least 18 - 24 months before things pick up again.

Depending on your background, at present there is a “reasonable” amount of construction work for residential electricians (mainly timber frame) in Surrey, BC and Richmond BC.

Vancouver, BC there are a few commercial & residential construction programs ongoing, and a few commercial towers due to start later this year, but nothing substantial right now.

Alternatively, back east consider Toronto, or Ottawa, both still have large skill shortages for both construction, and maintenance trades.

First step it to get your redseal, and get your feet on the ground here; the trades are still 90% Union Hall, local word of mouth, and recommendation.
There seems to be a lot of work here in BC, but not sure if there is a shortage as such yet. You won't earn the same kind of money in BC that guys were getting a few months back in Alberta before the s$@t hit the fan.

Berts is a big electrical firm in Vancouver, they are on most commercial construction site.

But if your looking at heading out to Canada for the coin, might as well stay in the UK imo.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 2:43 am
R08
Forum Regular

R08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i don't what kind of electrician you are, but I'm a commercial electrician who moved to Saskatchewan 2 months ago. I came here on a 2 year work visa and I had to start as a 4th year apprentice until I take the red seal exam. So your wages reflect that. What stage of the process are you at? What I would say is be prepared to forget most of what you have learned installation wise things are different here. If I can be anymore help just let me know.
Old May 12th 2015, 1:07 am
Just Joined

daveyrn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R08
Hi i don't what kind of electrician you are, but I'm a commercial electrician who moved to Saskatchewan 2 months ago. I came here on a 2 year work visa and I had to start as a 4th year apprentice until I take the red seal exam. So your wages reflect that. What stage of the process are you at? What I would say is be prepared to forget most of what you have learned installation wise things are different here. If I can be anymore help just let me know.
Hi R08, I just moved to Edmonton and done mostly domestic wiring back home in Northern Ireland. Did you find it difficult to find work without your Red Seal?
Old May 12th 2015, 1:56 am
R08
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daveyrn
Hi R08, I just moved to Edmonton and done mostly domestic wiring back home in Northern Ireland. Did you find it difficult to find work without your Red Seal?
Hey Daveyrn, I had a job offer before I came out here so didn't have to look for work. You should be ok for work they should just set you on as a 4th year apprentice and you will probably have to sign up with the apprenticeship board as they will need to know how many hours you've had in the trade. I'm sorry I'm not sure how it works in Edmonton but there will be people on here that will. If I can be anymore help just let me know.
Old May 12th 2015, 2:18 am
Just Joined

daveyrn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R08
Hey Daveyrn, I had a job offer before I came out here so didn't have to look for work. You should be ok for work they should just set you on as a 4th year apprentice and you will probably have to sign up with the apprenticeship board as they will need to know how many hours you've had in the trade. I'm sorry I'm not sure how it works in Edmonton but there will be people on here that will. If I can be anymore help just let me know.
No problem R08, thanks for the info! There seems to be plenty of work around but kinda frustrating having to go back to apprentice rates.lol
Old May 12th 2015, 2:24 am
Just Joined

jontemple is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, am a Nigerian and reside in Nigeria but am looking at moving to Canada (though have no specific location in mind). I been working for the past eight years as a health, safety and environmental personnel (HSE) and have worked for two multinationals (an oil and gas company and a construction company both in Nigeria). Am highly certified in this field. Can anyone advice me if there are chances for me to getting a job in Canada and how to go about it. Also if there are companies that can help me secure LMO/work permit, etc. I made 35 yrs in January and have a wife and 3 kids.
Old May 12th 2015, 3:21 am
R08
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jontemple
Hi everyone, am a Nigerian and reside in Nigeria but am looking at moving to Canada (though have no specific location in mind). I been working for the past eight years as a health, safety and environmental personnel (HSE) and have worked for two multinationals (an oil and gas company and a construction company both in Nigeria). Am highly certified in this field. Can anyone advice me if there are chances for me to getting a job in Canada and how to go about it. Also if there are companies that can help me secure LMO/work permit, etc. I made 35 yrs in January and have a wife and 3 kids.
Hi Jontemple, you might want to post on the main Canada forum as you should get help on there. This is just a small thread
Old May 12th 2015, 3:32 am
Just Joined

jontemple is an unknown quantity at this point

@ R08 - Thanks brother, I just joined this forum some hours ago. Though I have posted it as a new thread under the canada immigration but I don't know if that's what you mean. Kindly direct me if its not.

Thanks a lot.