Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Burlington ON 3 months - Happy to help others coming over

Living in Burlington ON 3 months - Happy to help others coming over

Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

On-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really nice
Default Re: Living in Burlington ON 3 months - Happy to help others coming over

Are there any clawbacks or exemptions or just a stratght extra 13%?

13% is a LOT of extra money to pay for a new house. What's the logic? Are the property taxes the same for 2 identical houses side by side, one second hand and one new?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by On-tar-ee-oh
There's partial refund for lower cost houses but, tbh, I can't imagine buying a new build. I'd get a smaller house or rent before doing that and so haven't paid a lot of attention.

13% is a LOT of extra money to pay for a new house. What's the logic?
Government wants money. People buying houses have money. Government takes money.

Are the property taxes the same for 2 identical houses side by side, one second hand and one new?
No. There's neither rhyme nor reason to property taxes. The tax is a percentage of the nominal value of the house, that nominal value can vary and can be appealed so you need to know the taxes for the specific properties of interest; they're shown on mls and the fsbo sites.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

On-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really nice

Thanks for that.

I was told that around Burlington, the property tax is based on the aggregate of the houses in the area, so if you live in a modest bungalo but all your neighbours demolished and built mansions, you ended up paying more as the average house value went up.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

I was told that around Burlington, the property tax is based on the aggregate of the houses in the area, so if you live in a modest bungalo but all your neighbours demolished and built mansions, you ended up paying more as the average house value went up.
Yes, that's approximately true. Until recently my ex had a house in Mississauga. The neighbouring bungalows, once worth maybe $600,000, were steadily replaced by McMansions selling for $2,000,000 or so. This drove up the tax payable on the remaining bungalows as the value of the land they stood on increased. Inevitably the rising taxes force the bunglow owners out and the whole street became populated with faux Disney castles. For a laugh, drive along Indian Road from Lorne Park Rd to Mississauga Rd. It could be the street of the Beverley Hillbillies.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

sounds like a form or residential (rather than ethnic) cleansing, or property bullying!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

13% is a LOT of extra money to pay for a new house. What's the logic? Are the property taxes the same for 2 identical houses side by side, one second hand and one new?
There are rebates available. The New Housing Rebate which is applicable to properties with a purchase price less than $450,000 is applied against the federal portion of the HST. There is a further Provincial New Housing Rebate which applies against the Provincial portion of the HST up to a maximum payout of $24,000. Unlike the New Housing Rebate, the Provincial New Housing Rebate is offered regardless of the purchase price of the property.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
There are rebates available. The New Housing Rebate which is applicable to properties with a purchase price less than $450,000 is applied against the federal portion of the HST. There is a further Provincial New Housing Rebate which applies against the Provincial portion of the HST up to a maximum payout of $24,000. Unlike the New Housing Rebate, the Provincial New Housing Rebate is offered regardless of the purchase price of the property.
thanks for that.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:28 am
Just Joined

samanthajohn is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=On-tar-ee-oh;9388118]Hi all we are here 3 months now and starting to find our feet and learn what's what. We moved here from Ireland in mid Feb.

Picking up a family and relocating from Irl or the UK etc is not easy. If anyone is planning on heading over this way in the near future, i.e. Burlington, Oakville, Hamilton, Missassauga etc and would like to connect with a family already here I would be happy to get in touch and help in any way that I can.

Best of luck with getting your opportunity to come here.

So far, it has not all been easy, but I have absolutely no regrets.

Please get in touch if you have any questions, big or small, and I will help you if I can help.

Hi, we have just moved to Stoney Creek, Hamilton. My husband is just taking his Canadian Driving for his AZ licence, he was a truck driver in Manchester, uk. I was hoping to chat an poss meet British/uk citizens, esp women as I am at the 6 week mark an in need of some familiar women talk, lol. We would also haved lots more question, even tho my husband has dual nationality, I know I will find it a bit difficult when he gets employment. Hope you can help. We are in out 30's with no children with us, although I have a 19 yr old son, still living in the uk with his grandparents. Hope to chat! Sam.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=samanthajohn;9410914]
Hi all we are here 3 months now and starting to find our feet and learn what's what. We moved here from Ireland in mid Feb.

Picking up a family and relocating from Irl or the UK etc is not easy. If anyone is planning on heading over this way in the near future, i.e. Burlington, Oakville, Hamilton, Missassauga etc and would like to connect with a family already here I would be happy to get in touch and help in any way that I can.

Best of luck with getting your opportunity to come here.

So far, it has not all been easy, but I have absolutely no regrets.

Please get in touch if you have any questions, big or small, and I will help you if I can help.

Hi, we have just moved to Stoney Creek, Hamilton. My husband is just taking his Canadian Driving for his AZ licence, he was a truck driver in Manchester, uk. I was hoping to chat an poss meet British/uk citizens, esp women as I am at the 6 week mark an in need of some familiar women talk, lol. We would also haved lots more question, even tho my husband has dual nationality, I know I will find it a bit difficult when he gets employment. Hope you can help. We are in out 30's with no children with us, although I have a 19 yr old son, still living in the uk with his grandparents. Hope to chat! Sam.
Hi

This is a great thread, everyone is so helpful. I do have a query, can anyone suggest a company for 3 month medical cover, i beleive most reccomment Canadasure (plan A). Any suggestions welcom.
Thanks
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=samanthajohn;Hi, we have just moved to Stoney Creek, Hamilton. My husband is just taking his Canadian Driving for his AZ licence, he was a truck driver in Manchester, uk. I was hoping to chat an poss meet British/uk citizens, esp women as I am at the 6 week mark an in need of some familiar women talk, lol. We would also haved lots more question, even tho my husband has dual nationality, I know I will find it a bit difficult when he gets employment. Hope you can help. We are in out 30's with no children with us, although I have a 19 yr old son, still living in the uk with his grandparents. Hope to chat! Sam.[/QUOTE]

Hi samanthajohn,

welcome to the neighbourhood. There are a few different groups and clubs for expats. I'm not sure about Hamilton but Bulrington has a Newcomers club that is for women only. You could try them or see if there is a Hamilton chapter/equivalent.
I wish your husband luck with his test and job hunt. I'm sure he will be fine.
H

Last edited by On-tar-ee-oh; Jun 5th 2011 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=27mich71;9411072]
Originally Posted by samanthajohn

Hi

This is a great thread, everyone is so helpful. I do have a query, can anyone suggest a company for 3 month medical cover, i beleive most reccomment Canadasure (plan A). Any suggestions welcom.
Thanks
We used BlueCross and found them quite reasonable and good to deal with. We had one GP visit during thre 3 months and there was no problem claiming the cost back.

Last edited by On-tar-ee-oh; Jun 5th 2011 at 2:47 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=On-tar-ee-oh;9411703]
Originally Posted by 27mich71

We used BlueCross and found them quite reasonable and good to deal with. We had one GP visit during thre 3 months and there was no problem claiming the cost back.
Thanks will have a look
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samanthajohn
Stoney Creek did have a newcomers club which met up on Tuesdays, I don't know if it is still going though. Grimsby (just along the road) had one as well - (contact details below) - it may be worth giving one of the ladies a call or sending an email.

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/niaga...article/185988 article about the Grimsby one.

The newcomers group meets for dinner on the third Tuesday of the month and for coffee on the first Tuesday of the month. Welcome Wagon representatives in the Beamsville and Grimsby area have been very supportive of the club, as well as the Women’s Resource Centre in Beamsville.

For more information on the club, please contact Anne Quick at 905-643-7404 or by e-mailing [email protected], or Pam Farrell at 905-643-2252 or by e-mailing [email protected]

Burlington: http://burlingtonnewcomersclub.com/faq/

It looks like the Hamilton branch disbanded

We should all meet up at the pub in Burlington - it would be great if we can arrange it (it's stopped raining now) - brit booze up!

Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Shed Roof is an unknown quantity at this point

Have been following this thread with interest as my job is moving from london to toronto imminently so we (me, wife and kids 11/10) are looking at areas to live, and Oakville and Burlington are the two that keep coming up. We would look to rent at first, but seems like kids move to schools nearest the house. Do you find a school first and then a rental house, hoping that you can buy one near by eventually, or can you stay at the same school? Apologies if this should have been a new topic, but seems like you all are local to the area and can provide local knowledge.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shed Roof
Have been following this thread with interest as my job is moving from london to toronto imminently so we (me, wife and kids 11/10) are looking at areas to live, and Oakville and Burlington are the two that keep coming up. We would look to rent at first, but seems like kids move to schools nearest the house. Do you find a school first and then a rental house, hoping that you can buy one near by eventually, or can you stay at the same school? Apologies if this should have been a new topic, but seems like you all are local to the area and can provide local knowledge.
Hi Shed Roof

We are flying out to Toronto on Monday after a long 4 years and are renting in Burlington. I rang the school board and they told me waht shcool the children will be going too. Mine are 9 and 11 years (both girls).

Good luck, you never know they might end up going to the same school!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.