Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Listening to the UK soccer!

Listening to the UK soccer!

Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Listening to the UK soccer!

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Its football not soccer...how many more times!!!
The word "soccer" originated in England in the 1860's and that name was exported along with the sport. It always amuses me when Brits complain about foreigners using the very word the Brits invented!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:39 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
LOL have you been talking to my sister?! She laughs at me saying cell phone, garbage etc etc......when in Rome....!
I darent call it football, seeing as I play for a ladies "soccer" team and would be handed shoulder pads and a helmet if I called it football!
x
Just do what I do in the lunch room at work keep saying (very loudly) "Its not soccer, it's a game played with a ball and your feet ergo it's FOOTBALL, anything else is just armoured egg-chasing"
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:41 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich07
If you use expat shield, you should be able to get iplayer
Alternatively, try the "stealthy" addon for Firefox
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The word "soccer" originated in England in the 1860's and that name was exported along with the sport. It always amuses me when Brits complain about foreigners using the very word the Brits invented!
That North Americans use a word invented by a Brit doesn't make it any more an "acceptable" word to describe the game universally known as Football and similar names in languages other than English.

Maybe FIFA should insist they call it by its official name.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:26 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGK
Alternatively, try the "stealthy" addon for Firefox
I've tried Stealthy and it hasn't worked once yet.

I still get the not available in your region or whatever it says.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:36 am
Oscar nominated

The word "soccer" originated in England in the 1860's ...
Not just soccer it seems.

Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That North Americans use a word invented by a Brit doesn't make it any more an "acceptable" word to describe the game universally known as Football and similar names in languages other than English.

Maybe FIFA should insist they call it by its official name.

"Soccer" is in the English dictionary so its use is perfectly acceptable and it's not just used in North America. Soccer City, Johannesburg? Also, it's not like the word is never used in the UK. I've often heard "soccer" used on UK TV and seen it used in UK newspapers. "Soccer Diary" on The Guardian website?

There are different forms of football. The word "soccer" was coined to distinguish it at a time when Rugby was known as Rugby Football (soccer and rugby have common roots). Yes, soccer might well be the dominant form of football but the simple fact is that if you mention "football" in North America, most people will assume you mean the sport with the pointy ball. So I use the word "soccer" in North America so that there's no confusion.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 11th 2011 at 1:11 am.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:30 am
Oscar nominated

"Soccer" is in the English dictionary so its use is perfectly acceptable and it's not just used in North America. Soccer City, Johannesburg? Also, it's not like the word is never used in the UK. I've often heard "soccer" used on UK TV and seen it used in UK newspapers. "Soccer Diary" on The Guardian website?
Yes...shameful isn't it.

According to wiki, 43 of 45 English affiliations are now using the word football, with Canada and the USA being the exceptions.

I imagine other forms of its use was something to do with marketing.

Apparently Australia moved from the use of soccer to football.

I use the word "soccer" in North America so that there's no confusion.
Me too. If I'm likely to encounter confusion by saying football. It seems sensible.

On the net, though, I usually say soccer football. That avoids confusion and satisfies my dislike of the word.