Reload this Page >

Irish drivers Licence

Irish drivers Licence

Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Pebbles_22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Irish drivers Licence

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone could help me regarding the Irish drivers licence can I drive in Alberta when I land on a full licence.what's the difference between a g1 and a g2? Hope someone can help ..
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:46 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish drivers Licence

Hi

Originally Posted by Pebbles_22
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone could help me regarding the Irish drivers licence can I drive in Alberta when I land on a full licence.what's the difference between a g1 and a g2? Hope someone can help ..
1. G1 and G2 is for Ontario
2. The Irish license is not reciprocal so here is the information that you will require for Alberta. http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm#all_other_JM

The Reciprocal Licensing Agreement signed with the United Kingdom (UK) includes England, Scotland and Wales. Clients surrendering a driver’s licence from Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland must complete full testing.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
The Reciprocal Licensing Agreement signed with the United Kingdom (UK) includes England, Scotland and Wales. Clients surrendering a driver’s licence from Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland must complete full testing.
Although they don't necessarily have to start from scratch:

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm#all_other_JM

All Other Countries
A person coming to Alberta from outside Canada may apply to have their previous driving history credited to their Alberta driving record. A successful application will grant exemption from the Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) program and allow for Class 5 road testing without being required to hold a Class 7 driver's licence for one year.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Does getting an international licence, buy the op some time?
I know you have to take it eventually, but its like anything, if you have time to get used to the place, and become more confident, is that a benefit?
x
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Does getting an international licence, buy the op some time?
I know you have to take it eventually, but its like anything, if you have time to get used to the place, and become more confident, is that a benefit?
x
If the OP is a PR and takes up residence in Alberta, I believe (s)he must obtain an Alberta license within 90 days of taking up residence in Alberta.

If (s)he's a visitor or temporary worker, (s)he needs his/her Irish license and an International Driver's License to be able to drive in Alberta for up to a year.

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1741.cfm

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 11th 2011 at 2:34 am.