Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The List - Psychologists?

The List - Psychologists?

Old Nov 19th 2012, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

JammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really nice
Default The List - Psychologists?

Hey all,

I'm a budding psychologist to be, I'm currently half way through my final year of a BsC in psychology with a plan to go into counselling (and to get the appropiate qualification, of course). I saw that THE LIST! says that Canada would like more psychologists in, but it doesn't exactly specify what kind of/ working in what area.

Psychology as a vocation (as I'm sure with many other jobs listed) is a very very wide field. Is there anywhere where it goes into a little bit more detail or is any job that falls in/ close to psychology good enough for the list? And if it is clarified somewhere and I've overlooked it, my sincerest apologies! (And if this is in the wrong sub-forum, again really sorry. I'm new here!)

Thanks a bunch!

Sean.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 3:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The List - Psychologists?

Hi, welcome to BE.

Heres what CIC says...

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...1=4151&val65=*

4151 Psychologists

Psychologists assess and diagnose behavioural, emotional and cognitive disorders, counsel clients, provide therapy, conduct research and apply theory relating to behaviour and mental processes. Psychologists help clients work toward the maintenance and enhancement of psychological, physical, intellectual, emotional, social and interpersonal functioning. Psychologists work in private practice or in clinics, correctional facilities, hospitals, mental health facilities, rehabilitation centres, community service organizations, businesses, schools and universities, and in government and private research agencies.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Worth noting though, that the info you are looking at is out of date, 'the list' is currently paused and the whole FSW program is being overhauled.

I guess the best thing to do is check back when you've done the requisite one year of full-time work experience after you've finished your degree, and see if you are eligible then.

Alternatively, look at the one year IEC visa if you're aged 30 or under.

Good luck.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a psychologist, though came over here recently to retire/write, not work full time. Have a look at the Canadian Psychological Association's website (cpa.ca). You need to be aware that there is no guarantee that your UK postgraduate qualification will be recognised over here: indeed it probably won't be. And as University degrees here are 4-year instead of 3, you may even find it hard to get your BSc accepted as being equivalent to a Canadian BSc. And you should be wary of whether a COUNSELLING postgraduate qualification from the UK is seen as evidence that you are a PSYCHOLOGIST for the purpose of the federal skilled worker's programme (or whatever this evolves into next year). Sorry to sound negative, but I think the process may be harder than you anticipate.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

I came over here with a couple of degrees and have graduate membership of the BPS. I gave up on the idea of ever working as a psychologist here after meeting with some psychologists, professors, etc. At least in NS, it would have required a minimum of a PhD to even be considered for any entry level type work. There is no way that I could have afforded to take another few years to get a PhD. It may be different in other provinces though.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:48 am
Just Joined

JammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really niceJammyBoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Hi, welcome to BE.

Heres what CIC says...

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...1=4151&val65=*
Thanks! Can't believe I didn't see that, sorry!

Also, a fellow scouser hopping to Canada, awesome.
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Worth noting though, that the info you are looking at is out of date, 'the list' is currently paused and the whole FSW program is being overhauled.

I guess the best thing to do is check back when you've done the requisite one year of full-time work experience after you've finished your degree, and see if you are eligible then.

Alternatively, look at the one year IEC visa if you're aged 30 or under.

Good luck.
Good idea! And yeah, I was gonna apply for the BUNAC thing once I got out of university and had a little money to my name.
Originally Posted by Collie
I'm a psychologist, though came over here recently to retire/write, not work full time. Have a look at the Canadian Psychological Association's website (cpa.ca). You need to be aware that there is no guarantee that your UK postgraduate qualification will be recognised over here: indeed it probably won't be. And as University degrees here are 4-year instead of 3, you may even find it hard to get your BSc accepted as being equivalent to a Canadian BSc. And you should be wary of whether a COUNSELLING postgraduate qualification from the UK is seen as evidence that you are a PSYCHOLOGIST for the purpose of the federal skilled worker's programme (or whatever this evolves into next year). Sorry to sound negative, but I think the process may be harder than you anticipate.
I've read somewhere that I need to do a 1 year course that amounts to (I think) checking whether I was actually taught any psychology at my crazy English university. However, now I know that I think I'll look a lot more carefully at the course I decide to pick and maybe shoot the CPA some emails too.

Thank you!

Also, it's hardly negative if you're telling me the truth! I'd rather be told the truth now than be lied to and face a harsh reality when a FSW application came back denied!
Originally Posted by Merry
I came over here with a couple of degrees and have graduate membership of the BPS. I gave up on the idea of ever working as a psychologist here after meeting with some psychologists, professors, etc. At least in NS, it would have required a minimum of a PhD to even be considered for any entry level type work. There is no way that I could have afforded to take another few years to get a PhD. It may be different in other provinces though.
Well, I do intend on getting my PhD...

But that's quite far into the future! Though, thank you for the information, you and everyone else have been really helpful!

Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:48 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

A scouser psychologist? Dear God!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
A scouser psychologist? Dear God!
Maybe you should talk to someone about your irrational prejudices
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Counseling psychology? I suppose if you specialized in mutes it'd be all right, otherwise it'd get on your tits.