Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GCSEs v entrance requirments for degree courses - info

GCSEs v entrance requirments for degree courses - info

Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default GCSEs v entrance requirments for degree courses - info

I know there has been a lot of interest in here over the years about kids applying for degree courses in Canada and how GCSEs convert into entrance requirements and whether they are sufficient, so I thought I'd share my son's experiences in case it is of any help.

He is currently 16 and has nine GCSEs and is studying AS levels at a Sixth Form College in the UK. He is 17 next February. We plan to move over next summer.

He attended interviews a few weeks ago at two colleges/polys in Vancouver, with a view to applying for a degree in Journalism and a degree in English Literature.

Both colleges told him that his GCSEs are acceptable and that he meets the entrance requirements, but that they would like him to get a B or C grade in his English Literature at AS as well (probably because they are both heavily English orientated subjects). They were not interested in his other four AS levels.

We were also told that, as permanent residents, we can apply for the courses now from the UK and do not need a Canadian address, but he must have an address in Vancovuer when he starts the course.

He applied for the journalism degree with a view to starting in September next year and he was registered and given a student number. He had to apply online on the opening day for the course applications, which was 1 November. First come, first served basis apparently.

We are currently at the stage of having to supply sealed GCSE transcripts direct from his secondary school (this is a pain as no one knows what they are!) within two weeks.

Hope this is of help to anyone moving teens across and looking to enter the college system. Please comment here or PM me if you would like any more info.