Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

Originally Posted by The Aviator
How current the info is also relies on the individual updating it when a change occurs, I suspect there are some that don't.
I suspect that the people who do keep their information up to date are those inclined to do so on other sites as well. The people I found on linkedin when I looked a couple of days ago were the same ones I know to use Facebook (I can't bring myself to wade through Twitter). I note that the b2binternetbiz newsletter to which I have unwittingly subscribed never mentions linkedin, it's all about CRM via Facebook (I don't know who owns it).
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mnicona
I'll take your irrational response as someone who's never going to understand or even realise value in these types of things. I was also waiting for you to pipe up seeing as it's those types of attitudes that create such a stereotypical 'know it all' attitude that's associated with Brits (unfortunately). The point I made was very simple (but as usual prompted attitude)...if something adds very little or zero value to you on a personal level, don't simply dismiss to others and complain about it. Again, your response leads me to believe that you still won't understand this point though.

Good 'debating' with you guys
ah, I see. one of those that thinks they are intellectual and can control the narrative in a debate. Your arguments fall apart when you conflate one thing into something completely unrelated. You are basically saying if you don't like pears you can't understand the smiths.

Because of this pseudish attitude, I'm now convinced that linkedin is actually more full of twats than twatbook and henceforth I shall refer to it as twatIn. Good luck making strategic connections with twats using it.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

mnicona will become famous soon enoughmnicona will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suspect that the people who do keep their information up to date are those inclined to do so on other sites as well. The people I found on linkedin when I looked a couple of days ago were the same ones I know to use Facebook (I can't bring myself to wade through Twitter). I note that the b2binternetbiz newsletter to which I have unwittingly subscribed never mentions linkedin, it's all about CRM via Facebook (I don't know who owns it).
I hear you, I suppose the point to take from that then is that if you have the same people on Facebook as you do in Linked In....then it's really a mix of business and social. I have minimal people on Linked In that I also share on Facebook. My own thought process is that unless they're also a friend I don't want my personal life shared with possible business relationships. On the flip side, those I know on a personal level aren't going to offer much value to me on Linked In.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
ah, I see. one of those that thinks they are intellectual and can control the narrative in a debate. Your arguments fall apart when you conflate one thing into something completely unrelated. You are basically saying if you don't like pears you can't understand the smiths.

Because of this pseudish attitude, I'm now convinced that linkedin is actually more full of twats than twatbook and henceforth I shall refer to it as twatIn. Good luck making strategic connections with twats using it.
I think your response outlines your own level of intelligence...good luck with that attitude lad
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:03 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I think your response outlines your own level of intelligence...good luck with that attitude lad
Good luck with what?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Good luck with what?
Life!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:06 am

Life!
That's ok then. I thought you meant advancing my career for a minute.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

That's ok then. I thought you meant advancing my career for a minute.
God forbid no!

We wouldn't want you to improve yourself would we....I mean do you really have enough time?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

LOL....just in case you hadn't noticed...we actually are in an online digital age now. Business cards are an old and non-environmentally friendly luxury. If I kept the business card of every person I met I'd have cases of them. Nope, I'd rather connect and have their details available anytime, anywhere I need them (i.e Linked In). Business cards don't update when the individual moves on or is promoted or has a number change etc!

I can only assume that your job/role requires very little interaction with clients or building strategic relationships otherwise you would know this.
I don't feel the need to make "connections" the way to appear to need to. My profession requires more personal contact and does not require superficial "friendships" as your's appears to require.

Each to their own.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

if you have the same people on Facebook as you do in Linked In....then it's really a mix of business and social.
I don't "have" any people on either. Prompted by this thread I searched for a bunch of names. Those I found on one, I found on the other.

Life is a mixture of business and social, an immigrant will inevitably mostly know people through work. In a consulting environment the overlap is pronounced, that's the "networking" culture much discussed here.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I don't feel the need to make "connections" the way to appear to need to. My profession requires more personal contact and does not require superficial "friendships" as your's appears to require.

Each to their own.
Wow....it's amazing how people jump on the band-wagon with negative responses. I agree totally with your last sentence. Each to their own, but don't disregard something to others just because it adds no value to you! That's like saying blue cars are a complete waste of time and shouldn't be manufactured. Obviously some people like them. Constructive advice on the use of something like Linked In however was exactly my original point....but as a Brit you're sometimes too quick to see the negative in things.

I don't make friendships with Linked IN, it's a resource for connecting with people I need to, and may not be able to face to face....simple as that really!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

I don't "have" any people on either. Prompted by this thread I searched for a bunch of names. Those I found on one, I found on the other.

Life is a mixture of business and social, an immigrant will inevitably mostly know people through work. In a consulting environment the overlap is pronounced, that's the "networking" culture much discussed here.

I agree 'life' is obviously a mixture of business and social otherwise it'd be an odd balance. Back to the original discussion point though, Facebook is a tool to facilitate social friendships and networking connections. Linked In is a tool to connect like minded business people who can add value through business means. If you happen to build a friendship from this, then perfect!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My profession requires more personal contact and does not require superficial "friendships" as your's appears to require.
That's not entirely true. When I wanted to legalize someone in the US I found an attorney through this board. When I was looking at a private property purchase I found a lawyer with that expertise through the internet, in neither case did I expect their online presence to promote friendship, but their being searchable was key to the professional relationship. I would not have looked on linkedin because it's like a resume; 90% of what's claimed has to be discounted. I didn't have the interest to sift through all that hype.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

That's not entirely true. When I wanted to legalize someone in the US I found an attorney through this board. When I was looking at a private property purchase I found a lawyer with that expertise through the internet, in neither case did I expect their online presence to promote friendship, but their being searchable was key to the professional relationship. I would not have looked on linkedin because it's like a resume; 90% of what's claimed has to be discounted. I didn't have the interest to sift through all that hype.
Great point...and a scenario that Linked In wouldn't add value to. For example the yellow pages and Linked In don't share the same purpose - you were simply looking up a specific service (not necessarily an individual in a specific company).
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

I agree 'life' is obviously a mixture of business and social otherwise it'd be an odd balance. Back to the original discussion point though, Facebook is a tool to facilitate social friendships and networking connections. Linked In is a tool to connect like minded business people who can add value through business means. If you happen to build a friendship from this, then perfect!
I suggest that Facebook has gone beyond facilitating social relationships and is an effective business tool, no flyer from an estate agent fails to mention using FB and youtube. linkedin doesn't get the same traffic and so is less useful as a sales tool, especially where the target is the general public.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.