Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

simply a method of showing all your old contacts how well you've done in life?

Who uses the 'professional version of facebook'? Is it of use to the new or old immigrant? A while ago I read that Canada seems to have embraced Linkedin & my own experience would seem to bear that out. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1515054/

I have had recruitment enquiries come my way through LinkedIn & it seems like a useful way of networking. What are others experiences/thoughts?

Nb. I'm not looking to share connections or linked in profiles. Like many, I prefer to not have a link between Atlantic Xpat and the real me.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
simply a method of showing all your old contacts how well you've done in life?

Who uses the 'professional version of facebook'? Is it of use to the new or old immigrant? A while ago I read that Canada seems to have embraced Linkedin & my own experience would seem to bear that out. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1515054/

I have had recruitment enquiries come my way through LinkedIn & it seems like a useful way of networking. What are others experiences/thoughts?

Nb. I'm not looking to share connections or linked in profiles. Like many, I prefer to not have a link between Atlantic Xpat and the real me.
I have heard a large number of Canadians extolling its virtues and it seems to link in with the whole networking thing over here.

I find it bizarre that someone would rather contact someone via such a forum rather than meet people in the real world but, hey, that is the way the world seems to be going.

I am on it and I am forever being inundated with people wanting to link with me.

I guess it works for some.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I just logged in for the first time in yonks, I looked up a few people, most were not found and those who were had even more ridiculous claims in their profiles than you see on Friends Reunited. I think they're mostly having a laugh, "President and Chief Operating Officer (Americas)"! C'mon, I know you only operate that lemonade stand on the odd summer Sunday. linkedin seems to be the home of managerial gibberish, for example, would one rush to hire a member of this group:

"Professionals who value independent eDiscovery policy research leading to effective civil justice system decision-making."

I think I'd prefer a BNP member.

I imagine linkedin is good if you're hustling stuff, real estate or cars for example, as you'd be able to find everyone local to you with a grandiose title and junk mail them. I already have a source of junk mail.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:49 pm
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

When I began researching a move to Canada and joined a couple of professional trade bodies, as well as meeting a couple of recruiters, it seemed like Linked In was very important. I also met lots of other people in similar work to me, or expats, and they all requested my details through Linked In. It's not generated any work, but I get the feeling it's better to be in it, than not!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
When I began researching a move to Canada and joined a couple of professional trade bodies, as well as meeting a couple of recruiters, it seemed like Linked In was very important. I also met lots of other people in similar work to me, or expats, and they all requested my details through Linked In. It's not generated any work, but I get the feeling it's better to be in it, than not!
And that`s my point. If you meet someone and they seem like a good egg, why is a business card not sufficient, why does everyone in Canada require some form of online connection? Totally bizarre if you ask me.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and the people who use pictures, use ones that would be bold on a dating site; many years out of date, posed before an expensive object, often with an affectation of sportiness or suggesting an interest in golf. And these are people who work with computers; the very antithesis of sport and glamour. In reality they're grubby bearded hermits, their every penny ploughed into giga-nano-wossnames.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised it is still going - it's been around a while and may even pre-date the behemoth that is twatbook. Can't see the point of it myself - why would I want to network with a bunch of idiots?

Last edited by Alan2005; Aug 27th 2010 at 3:24 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm surprised it is still going - it's been around a while and may even pre-date the behemoth that is twatbook. Can't see the point of it myself - why would I want to network with a bunch of idiots?
Will you be leaving BE then?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Will you be leaving BE then?
<boom tish>
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

I credit Linkedin with my bit of luck at getting back in with the same employer I had in the UK - here in Canada.

My UK boss emailed the equivalent Canadian boss before I left and both (plus colleagues) were members of linkedin. I joined LinkedIn and kept in contact with the Canadian person updating my details etc as I went. They did ring me when a spot came up. The references left for me helped me to get the job I have now without an interview (telephone chat).

Its also great for catching up with old colleagues/bosses - tossers you didn't like and find that they sank deep down into the depths...ooh I'll stop there!

Anyway....I think its great for networking and getting references after the fact!!! Gotta be a bonus for someone who's emigrating. I left with all my current references but got a few more from LinkedIn.

...thats of course, if your old bosses colleagues are members
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And that`s my point. If you meet someone and they seem like a good egg, why is a business card not sufficient, why does everyone in Canada require some form of online connection? Totally bizarre if you ask me.
Well, because the online bit can form connections that you may not have known about.

For example, I saw a job advertised that my husband was interested in. I looked at the company on LinkedIn and it told me that I was "2 degrees" away from someone who worked there - looking at it, it turned out that one of my closest friends' sister-in-law was a recruitment manager at that company, so I was able to put my husband in touch with her. Even though it's a friend I've known for 15 years, I wouldn't have known what her sister-in-law did for a living, without the computer finding the connection.

Husband didn't get the job, but it does show that it can be a useful tool in the arsenal. And in a country where getting a job seems to depend on who you know, every opportunity to increase your network can be useful!
Old Aug 28th 2010, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

BandAid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marimac
Well, because the online bit can form connections that you may not have known about.

For example, I saw a job advertised that my husband was interested in. I looked at the company on LinkedIn and it told me that I was "2 degrees" away from someone who worked there - looking at it, it turned out that one of my closest friends' sister-in-law was a recruitment manager at that company, so I was able to put my husband in touch with her. Even though it's a friend I've known for 15 years, I wouldn't have known what her sister-in-law did for a living, without the computer finding the connection.

Husband didn't get the job, but it does show that it can be a useful tool in the arsenal. And in a country where getting a job seems to depend on who you know, every opportunity to increase your network can be useful!
Works for me here in the UK - We're planning to move out to Canada in 2012 (it's an Olympic thing!!) - good to hear LinkedIn is popular over there.

Last edited by Sue; Aug 28th 2010 at 3:33 pm. Reason: LinkedIn Image removed
Old Aug 28th 2010, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

hobbes_sarkar is an unknown quantity at this point

Unlike other folks here, I moved to Canada from India. I can vouch for the effectiveness of linkedin. It is a great professional networking tool and it was the single most important tool that helped me land a job offer in Canada in a matter of 3 months - before I actually moved! I was a paid member during this time and would send out messages to managers and recruiters. This method of contact seemed to work better in attracting the hiring managers' attention.

It is also a very good tool in finding out if any of your former colleagues will be able to help you out in connecting with prospective employers.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 6:50 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
..... these are people who work with computers; the very antithesis of sport and glamour. In reality they're grubby bearded hermits, their every penny ploughed into giga-nano-wossnames.

Hehee ..... you just described my son!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:13 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I use it as a research tool. Part of my job involves doing interviews over the phone. Getting to the right people can be a nightmare. Just having an initial point of contact helps enormously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.