Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

On-line number

On-line number

Old May 30th 2011, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Juliet C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On-line number

I have just gone onto my skype account to purchase an on-line number so some of my older relatives have the option of calling me from a normal or mobile phone from the UK at not to much cost but apparently it is not available in Canada??

If I where to buy a US on-line number would this work? anyone know anyway around this?

Thanks
Old May 30th 2011, 7:42 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On-line number

If your family are in the UK , then buy a UK skype in number , that way it is a local call for them
this is what we do
Old May 30th 2011, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

anitac is on a distinguished road

You want to buy a UK skype number for people from the UK to use. This is available through skype it charges at a local UK rate and rings to your skype. Buying a US number people from the UK would be charged extortionate amounts calling from mobiles.

If you're looking for a Canadian number skype don't do this but you can use other voip providers. I bought a canadian number off voip.ms and downloaded a softphone to use it with. Seems to work fine.
Old May 31st 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou both, I shall get onto it
Old May 31st 2011, 1:11 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Just wanted to add the UK skype-in number service works well......well it did yesterday when (during a visit to the UK) my wife and some friends decided to call me from the pub they were sat in. I would suggest when u subscribe to Skype-in, pick the area code closest to the biggest group of users.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JB0591
Just wanted to add the UK skype-in number service works well......well it did yesterday when (during a visit to the UK) my wife and some friends decided to call me from the pub they were sat in. I would suggest when u subscribe to Skype-in, pick the area code closest to the biggest group of users.
Thanks JB