Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Light Bulb Moment

Light Bulb Moment

Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:32 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Light Bulb Moment

Whilst making a list of stuff not worth shipping to Canada, I got to some lamps and discovered they have light bulbs with a screw thread. A bit of research yielded a 27mm standard in Europe ('ES27') whereas the North American standard is 26mm ('ES26'); but there is plenty of indication that they are interchangeable. So, unless anyone here knows better, I'm going to ship our much-liked lamps and put 110V plugs on the leads.

Posted just in case anyone else is about to dispose of their favourite table lamp...
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:34 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Light Bulb Moment

Originally Posted by agr
Whilst making a list of stuff not worth shipping to Canada, I got to some lamps and discovered they have light bulbs with a screw thread. A bit of research yielded a 27mm standard in Europe ('ES27') whereas the North American standard is 26mm ('ES26'); but there is plenty of indication that they are interchangeable. So, unless anyone here knows better, I'm going to ship our much-liked lamps and put 110V plugs on the leads.

Posted just in case anyone else is about to dispose of their favourite table lamp...
I shall wait for the 'boom'.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:36 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Just to clarify, I'll be changing the light bulbs too!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
Just to clarify, I'll be changing the light bulbs too!
I'm sure whoever it is on the forum who goes on about CSA-rated appliances and insurance liability will be along in a minute with why this is not a good idea.

For all that it's mostly advice I'd take with a pinch of salt, you may want to consider changing the lampholders as well to CSA-approved fittings - it's pretty much as simple as rewiring the plug unless yours have a particularly complicated way of attaching the holder to the lampstand. That way there's no issue with the bulbs being slightly loose in the holders. Any DIY store will stock the right bits, and the only tool you'll need is likely a screwdriver. I changed out UK bayonet fittings to Canadian screw fittings on a couple of lamps we brought with us.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I'm sure whoever it is on the forum who goes on about CSA-rated appliances and insurance liability will be along in a minute with why this is not a good idea.

For all that it's mostly advice I'd take with a pinch of salt, you may want to consider changing the lampholders as well to CSA-approved fittings - it's pretty much as simple as rewiring the plug unless yours have a particularly complicated way of attaching the holder to the lampstand. That way there's no issue with the bulbs being slightly loose in the holders. Any DIY store will stock the right bits, and the only tool you'll need is likely a screwdriver. I changed out UK bayonet fittings to Canadian screw fittings on a couple of lamps we brought with us.
Insurance companies, we know what they are like, and the Canadian ones are no different.

If your place burns down due to an electrical fault, the adjuster will look through with a fine tooth comb any electrical irregularities. British-corded lamps that are plugged into a canadian supply (as a permanent/semi-permanent install) are an irregularity; that is all they would need to void your claim.

If all items carry the CSA moniker (Big C with SA written in between) then that's a different story. British power cords are usually made to conform to certain BS standards only.

Last edited by neill; Dec 15th 2008 at 4:50 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr

something else about UK power cords.

1) The voltage is double, therefore the current is half for the same watt bulb. This means a 60W bulb in canada needs twice the current capability in the wire (this translates to the gauge of the wire).

2) UK 'leads' are protected with BS 1362 fuses, meaning a 3 amp wire can be used if protected by a 3 amp fuse. Canadian plugs (and DIY plugs) are not fused, meaning the wire MUST match the circuit (normally 15 Amp).
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's just the shades you're attached to. Not literally of course.