Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

License plates from Quebec

License plates from Quebec

Old Nov 1st 2014, 5:35 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default License plates from Quebec

Hi,

Hopefully someone on here has an answer for me! I recently moved to Ontario from Quebec for my new job. I recently got my car registered in Ontario and I've removed the Quebec license plate. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to return this to the SAAQ (or elsewhere) or is the license plate mine to keep (but obviously not to use since my registration has expired)? I haven't been able to find any info on returning a license plate and some of my colleagues have suggested that perhaps I'm not meant to return it.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Catherine
Old Nov 1st 2014, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: License plates from Quebec

I've kept old plates here in Ontario so don't see any problem with keeping a Quebec plate.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catpea33
Hi,

Hopefully someone on here has an answer for me! I recently moved to Ontario from Quebec for my new job. I recently got my car registered in Ontario and I've removed the Quebec license plate. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to return this to the SAAQ (or elsewhere) or is the license plate mine to keep (but obviously not to use since my registration has expired)? I haven't been able to find any info on returning a license plate and some of my colleagues have suggested that perhaps I'm not meant to return it.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Catherine
We sent ours back to NS in late August as they were still valid for a year. We were supposed to get a partial refund but 2 months and we're still waiting!!
Old Nov 1st 2014, 8:12 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

OK thanks all! I will keep hold of them then in case I return to La Belle Province.

Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 12:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Normally you just keep them and hang them on your garage wall. Can you even use them again once the registration expires? Never tried that, thought you had to get a new plate.

Some jurisdictions you can have your licence suspended if your registration expires, so anyway I tried returning the plate in that instance and they just cancelled the registration and let me keep the plate.

There are some very odd rules, for example in Texas you have to get the car registered before you can get a licence, and in Florida you have to get the licence and the insurance before you can register the car, if dmv.org is to be believed.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:44 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I have old plates from QC, ON, and SK. I'm now in AB. No-one ever told me to do anything with the old plates.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 2:53 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Normally you just keep them and hang them on your garage wall. Can you even use them again once the registration expires? Never tried that, thought you had to get a new plate.

Some jurisdictions you can have your licence suspended if your registration expires, so anyway I tried returning the plate in that instance and they just cancelled the registration and let me keep the plate.

There are some very odd rules, for example in Texas you have to get the car registered before you can get a licence, and in Florida you have to get the licence and the insurance before you can register the car, if dmv.org is to be believed.
We've reused plates where the registration has expired (staying in the same Province). We have quite a collection of old plates too, you don't have to hand them back.