Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Engineering - 15 years experience - few qualifications

Engineering - 15 years experience - few qualifications

Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

vilguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engineering - 15 years experience - few qualifications

Hey there, relatively new to the forum but I have been lurking and learning for a while.

Myself and my wife along with our 3 children have long been talking of moving to Canada for a while and well the opportunity in our lives seems to have presented itself. Now seems right to do it.

My issue is thus,

I have 15 years experience of heavy engineering design experience, but relatively few qualifications, I have an NVQ2 and ONC in Mechanical Engineering, and I intend to finish my HNC's in Civil and Mechanical Engineering before we get over there. But will this be sufficient to find work?

At present I am a senior mechanical design engineer in the nuclear decommisioning industry but have worked for a variety of industries over the years such as defence, waste water, chemical, mining etc. Im going through my Imech application at present based on experience to gain incorporated status.

We are unsure where we would like to live at present (although we do like the remote areas here in Scotland where we live at present and could never go back to living in an urban environment). I am willing to go where work is available in order to "get in" if you know what I mean.

Any advice would be most welcome and I assure you we are grateful for all given

Regards

Paul & Samin
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:55 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering - 15 years experience - few qualifications

if you get your HNC as well as the I.Eng certification, then you will be approx equivalent to an Engineering Technologist in Ontario.

https://www.oacett.org/

https://www.oacett.org/Membership/Re...ated-in-Canada

However, the provincial association may look at your UK qualification of HNC as somewhere between Technician & Technologist level. An HND is what is approx academic level to a 3 year full time engineering technology college grad in Ontario.

Back in the 90's Mech IE & CCTT signed a memorandum that I.Eng would qualify for Technologist certification .... things may have changed?

International Mobility - CCTT

For job related field, maybe start here to see where you fit

Ontario Power Generation : Experienced Hires : Career Opportunities

http://www.aecl.ca/en/home/work/empl...s/default.aspx

http://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsit...gorycode=11448

http://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsit...gorycode=11446

http://ca.indeed.com/Nuclear-Power-P...obs-in-Ontario

Trust this helped you?

Last edited by not2old; Oct 28th 2014 at 7:07 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

Advice

Get your HNC as a minimum. you will need this to get your tech certification. Canadians love certifications

Research the engineering profession in Canada what a P.Eng is what a CET is and their roles. There is a defined line between techs and engineers in Canada to a much greater extend than the UK as only a licensed professional practice engineering in Canada.

Licensed professionals are:
95%+ P.Eng's
Professional licencees
P.Tech Alberta only.

what this means in reality is very dependent on a industry and role.

for example if you work for a design consultancy all designs must be sealed by a licensed professional anyone can undertake the design work but a licensed professional needs to seal the work and take responsibility for it. this can create a barrier to progression for techs as most are not licensed professionals. Many techs to rise to high positions within companies it is just easier as an engineer. for example we have 10 senior guys 8 engineers 2 techs.

In the consultancy business it seems to be very much the company culture which determines how bigger role techs play in the design work some see no great difference between engineers and techs others will only allow you to be a draftsman.

on the other hand if you work for an oil company doing maintenance work there does not tend to be anything that needs to be sealed so not having the ability to seal work is not an issue and should be no barrier to progression.

Alberta would be a good place to start looking. lots of demand and high wages look up ASET. they have a salary survey on their site average package for a tech with your experience is $120K a year so worth a look.

I would look direct with employers for vacancies oil, mining, consultancy's whatever takes you fancy just start goggling.

Do you have PR or are you looking for a work permit.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johntheScot

Get your HNC as a minimum. you will need this to get your tech certification. Canadians love certifications
Urgh dont most people these days. It does my head in working with a bunch of guys that have lots of certificates, but no engineering experience.

The thought of going back to college with a bunch of kids fills me with dread! haha

Originally Posted by johntheScot
Do you have PR or are you looking for a work permit.

Please forgive my lack of research here but..PR? (permanent residence I am guessing?) Acronyms are my nemesis!
Old Oct 29th 2014, 11:41 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vilguy
Urgh dont most people these days. It does my head in working with a bunch of guys that have lots of certificates, but no engineering experience.

The thought of going back to college with a bunch of kids fills me with dread! haha. Please forgive my lack of research here but..PR? (permanent residence I am guessing?) Acronyms are my nemesis!
post # 2 & 3 (thanks John) are trying to help you with the questions on your first post, and trust your questions were answered?

Yes, Canada is big on certifications & designations. Its your choice to finish the HNC & to get the I.Eng.

If you come with the ONC and/or some trades qualification then IMO expect to be looked at as a trades person or technician level. As a newcomer, you will be up against domestic qualified, trained & experienced candidates applying for the same job.

Why should you the newcomer be hired over the local qualified experienced person? This is something many highly qualified & experienced newcomers have difficultly finding work in their specialized field

With the higher HNC qualification & designation + your experience you'll be one step up & possibly under the Sydney accord in that CCT link qualify for on of the [ LET Licensed Engineering Technologist (Ontario) or a P.Tech (Alberta)] depending on which province you settle. If not, the ONC academics may get you a Technician designation or have you do further confirmatory exams.

For Alberta ...

Membership - ASET

Depending on where you want to settle, Canada is a big country.

Other than the academics & qualifications - why not begin your immigration visa search options

Immigrate to Canada

What is NOC?

Last edited by not2old; Oct 29th 2014 at 12:12 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Cheers Not2old I shall continue reading up.

I think I do want to complete my HNC as i couldnt go back to being a draughtsman! That would destroy me inside.

Might I delve into your fountain of knowledge regarding contracting engineers over on that side of the pond? Is there much contract work for instance or are staff positions more dominant? I prefer contracting but willing to go back to staff if it means getting us over there.

Alternatively I would be interested in working in the UK for however many months I can of the year and spending the remainder with my wife and kids over there. Obviously subject to visa rules etc etc (which i need to research to see if this is possible)
Old Oct 29th 2014, 12:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

post # 6, lets clear up the point of the term 'Engineer'.... clarification....

In Canada the term 'Engineer' & use of, is a protected designation title that can only be used by those licensed certified by one of the provincial Engineering licensing bodies. The term is P.Eng (think of it similar to a C.Eng in the UK)

About Engineers | Engineers Canada

look at what a consulting engineer is in Canada

ACEC-Canada

You will need to start a google search for contract positions. Will you get some work based on your UK (newcomer) academics & experience or without Canadian experience or designation ... I cannot answer that question

Based on the ONC you will be looked at as a 'Technician'

on a quick search, a sampling

http://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Contract...gist&l=ontario

http://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Contract...gist&l=Alberta

http://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Contract...cian&l=Alberta

Last edited by not2old; Oct 29th 2014 at 12:17 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I see we have a few vocab confussions (on my part) but I do appreciate the assistance. I speak of engineer from here in the UK after all.

Ah "good character" is a requirement of being an engineer. You have to love things like that dont you. What constitutes good character after all.

According to the ACEC website my equivalent role at the minute would be a consulting engineer working for a privately owner enterprise. At present I design pressure vessels, process systems, calcs, drawings, justification, check approve this that and the other in the nuclear industry which is notorious for wanting experience and qualifications this that and the other along with wearing the correct colour pants and socks on a thursday, not fridays!

Getting my license (in whatever area / catergory I can) based on experience seems to be similar to what I have done here for SQEP requirements on contracts. Providing documentary evidence etc etc. And in a similar vein to incorporated status.

Id obviously have to learn about the different standards, codes and practices etc (which I am useless at remembering the numbers of here... let alone starting afresh!)

Being the optimistic kind of chap I am. How hard can it be.

I will continue to read up on all the info shared over the next couple of days thanks chaps. That being, if my newly born daughter will give me 5 minutes when I am at home.

edit: I have thrown my CV out there to a few agents. See if I get anything back

Last edited by vilguy; Oct 29th 2014 at 1:03 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 1:16 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary oil and gas EPC companies are dead at the moment, big lay offs.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 4:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

vilguy @ post #8

Well you seem to be enthusiastic & just beginning to get yourself up to speed on the if, what, why, where & when of the profession & job market in Canada. BE forums have a wealth of information which you find from a search, as well as their are many knowledgeable BE folks that have traveled the road.

Good luck to you in your search ...

Please read over all the posts & input from the few that have posted, who have provided their personal experience of the lay of the land for you, as well as if you have the time open the links to see if these help you.

One last point is the term 'Engineer' from the ACEC & Engineers Canada website

The Regulation of Engineering

Engineering is a regulated profession in Canada, and engineers working in both the public and private sectors require a licence to practice. Professional engineers are held to a high standard of conduct and expertise, and are required to regard the public interest as paramount. For more information on the licensing of engineers and the regulation of the profession, visit the Engineers Canada website.

On the 'license to practice professional engineering' to be able to call yourself an 'Engineer', you need to be licensed. This would normally be someone with an accredited Engineering Degree + the experience requirement.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by not2old
vilguy @ post #8

On the 'license to practice professional engineering' to be able to call yourself an 'Engineer', you need to be licensed. This would normally be someone with an accredited Engineering Degree + the experience requirement.

yeah i saw that they say approximately 95% are degree qualified.
Ill just have to be one of the 5%

I have the same situation here, but have done ok without a degree and honestly cannot see any benefit other than ticking some boxes of which there is usually different way of approaching things from a vocational perspective. (such as being incorporated rather than chartered)

Annoyingly I have just this afternoon been approached about another Defence job on a project which I would very much enjoy so may take that in the meantime and get up to speed more with the whole process for getting over there in the meantime.

Booking some flights to get over and explore a bit more, check out houses, make some contacts etc etc
Old Nov 1st 2014, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

100% of engineers are degree qualified

You cannot be an engineer in Canada without the required academic qualification. No matter how much experience you have.

It is not like the UK were a Tech can work for years gain experience is doing the work of an Engineer so at some point in time their job title changes to engineer as they are doing the same work.

The 5%(might be more like 1% or 0% in some provinces as not all jurisdictions allow P-tech's or engineering licences ). i was referring to are people who can practice engineering within a limited scope without supervision of an engineer. They are not however Engineers.

many provinces also have requirements for there engineering licences which vary, your onc may not meet this requirement.

What i'm doing here is trying to make sure you are aware of the regulatory system that is in place here i am in no way trying to discourage you from anything. You can have a good career in engineering in Canada without being an engineer.

You can undertake all the duties that you have said you do apart from the approving bit and someone else will need to approve your work until you get a licence if you are able.

I would keep working and taking contracts in the UK until you have something confirmed in Canada contract in place and a authorization to work here this could be anything from a 4/5 month wait on a work permit to a 2 year + wait on some kinds of permanent residency applications.

Good luck with the getting here and please don't think i'm being negative, you stand a very good chance of getting work out here your NOC is on the list of eligible occupations which is an encouraging sign.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 11:50 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Whilst i dont disagree with everything posted in this thread I would have to say from a defense engineering view point, licensing is not a major requirement.

Most of the defense companies I have experience with do not ask for it with exception of a space company we do business with. Although they are hiring engineers for a non-space department at the moment and have not listed licensing as a requirement...and they do call the job 'Engineer'.

If you are looking at defense, one area that you can stumble across is the the lack of experience with HR departments to understand someone from the UK can get a Canadian security clearance. But it is possible.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 12:22 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by JB0591

Most of the defense companies I have experience with do not ask for it with exception of a space company we do business with. Although they are hiring engineers for a non-space department at the moment and have not listed licensing as a requirement...and they do call the job 'Engineer'.
what in Canada - at DND, or is that in private industry? Not to be confused with 'engineering work'

can you link a job posting or job description, if indeed the person doing & carrying the job title & business card where it says 'Engineer' that they are not a licensed Engineer.

added since the post. You could be right.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/jobs-civilian/engineers.page

From the next link, I typed in 'Engineer' in the search box & I was surprised

http://orae-jest.cfp-psc.gc.ca/JEST-ORAE/qcksrch.do#res

Last edited by not2old; Nov 2nd 2014 at 12:35 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:55 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

I think you found some examples. Here is one where I would have expected P.End as a entry requirement...Principal Systems Engineer - Rail Systems - Toronto, ON - Indeed Mobile