Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Legal expenses when buying a house

Legal expenses when buying a house

Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

vegasrockstar will become famous soon enoughvegasrockstar will become famous soon enough
Default Legal expenses when buying a house

Hi guys,

We are buying a house in Indian Head, SK for $210k.

We were just wondering what sort of legal expenses we would expect to pay?
I looked on the WIKI and there was something there but I wondered if people could supply some actual figures that they paid so I can get a proper idea of what sort of bill to expect?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Steve
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

vegasrockstar will become famous soon enoughvegasrockstar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Legal expenses when buying a house

I have just phoned a local lawyer and have been quoted $2,043 including all fees and taxes.

I don't think that's too bad ...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I've paid between 400 CAD and 650 CAD (that one was complex, needing something removing from title). That's just legal fees, I'm not including property transfer tax.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:15 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Currently no Land Transfer Tax in SK.

This link might be helpful
http://www.teamfisher.com/Reports_-_...e_1720477.html
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

In Nova Scotia payed around $500 per transaction, do it a few times. If it had been more like what yo have been quoted would make it very expensive. The Realtors do more work here than in the UK, so solicitors do less.
No Land Transfer Tax either in my County, varies around the province.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you what the ISC fees are (Land Titles)

Title valued at $8,401 or greater - 0.3% of the value of $210,000 = $630

Mortgage - $150

Submission fee - $10.

Search of title is $10 for each title, which means if there is a surface and a mineral title to the same land its $20.

Total - $790.

Allowing for a few miscellaneous photocopies etc. - maybe $30 or so, that leaves $1,223 for fees and PST and GST of 5% each.

I don't know what lawyers there are in Indian Head. If you want to try a Regina lawyer, phone Bernie Duchin at 359-3131 - I don't work for him but they do a lot of real estate and they aren't downtown where you pay through the nose to park. I can ask tomorrow what the guy I work for would charge, but they are out of town today. Or call Mike Griffin at 525-6125 - again free parking - Griffin Toews Maddigan. Tell Mike - Liz said he would give you a good deal!

Are you getting a mortgage? If not I would guess that over $1,000 for fees would be high.

Last edited by Purley; Mar 24th 2008 at 4:38 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm ... the quote I got does sound expensive - I have just sent a mail to the solicitors (KMPLaw) to get a breakdown of estimated costs.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Email [email protected] - that is Charmian. She is the real estate paralegal - you can also tell her that Liz said she'd give you a good deal!! She is at the Regina office though. It's her in the photo of the real estate department on the KMP website.

Last edited by Purley; Mar 24th 2008 at 5:11 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Liz

It is Charmian Robb that I am dealing with.

She sent me this reply:

The full Tariff fees are $1,211.88, we are reducing them to $1,040.00. The Disbursements (out-of-pocket expenses) are $893.50 and this is for registrations, searches and certificates required by the bank. The taxes are $109.75 for a total estimated account of $2,043.25.

What do you think?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I see she gave you a deal on the fees. If the estimated disbursements don't add up to the amount quoted, you will get some money back. You only get charged for the actual amount they pay out.

They are in a good spot too, even if you have to come to Regina, on the corner of Vic and Albert.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

If you think the deal is OK then thanks for your help.

We are flying back on Thursday after 2 months over here sorting out jobs, PNP and housing (Indian Head). We have met up with Alison and Richard (AlvicSK) and are pleased that we will be neighbours with them as they are a lovely couple.

Hopefully we will be moving to SK in June - with any luck we can all meet up then.

All the best

Steve & Lisette (Mr & Mrs Vegasrockstar!)

Last edited by vegasrockstar; Mar 24th 2008 at 6:16 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

What is your wife going to be doing at MLT? And whereabouts in Essex do you live?

You'll have to go to my husband's store for meat. He makes English bacon and bangers and anything else just about that people ask for! It's on Winnipeg Street north of Dewdney - Tendercut Meats. He has lots of Brit customers and would be glad to add two more.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

She will be working as a legal assistant (not sure who she will be working for).

We live in Leigh-on-Sea (near Southend).

We will definitely visit your hubby - it's not so much the sausages we miss, but the bacon ....!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

My nephew's daughter almost went to grammar school in Southend but eventually went to Chelmsford, which was the preferred school for some reason. It's really pretty around there. They live near Billericay and for some strange reason I always thought Billericay was like Dagenham or something, whereas it turned out to be a rather pretty little place!!

Tell your wife to search out Roberta, she is the real estate paralegal. Bert is very friendly and I am sure she will help to make your wife feel at home.