Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Law graduate on 1 year work permit, what work might I do without NCA assessment?

Law graduate on 1 year work permit, what work might I do without NCA assessment?

Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Felixfinch is on a distinguished road
Question Law graduate on 1 year work permit, what work might I do without NCA assessment?

Hello!

I'm a 25 year old recent graduate with a Letter of Introduction which will allow me to obtain a 1 year work permit when I enter Canada in March 2012.

After finishing 6 years of university I decided I wanted to experience something new and interesting. I've never been to Canada before however I have always wanted to visit; I can't wait to get out of Devon and onto that plane!

I have searched the internet and this forum and I have some understanding of what it would take to qualify as a lawyer in Canada. My question however is to do with the kind of work experience I might be able to get with my current qualifications.

I have a BA in International Relations and Politics, and a Masters in Law (a two year qualifying law degree) both from the University of Sheffield. I have not taken the LPC. It is my understanding that you can only Article once you have the appropriate Canadian qualifications. However I can't find anything on whether I could do a summer program, or how likely it is to be taken on as a paralegal, secretary or other administrative position.

I would like to gain legal experience while I am in Canada with a view to either securing a UK training contract, or (depending on how things work out) going down the NCA route and remaining in Canada. I would prefer this to be full-time paid work, however I am also willing to work in another area (e.g. hospitality) and undertake voluntary experience/unpaid internships.

Any help from someone in the know would be greatly appreciated! My plan is to go to Toronto, however it is not fixed yet so I am open to other ideas.

Many thanks

Felix

Last edited by Felixfinch; Oct 7th 2011 at 3:43 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Law graduate on 1 year work permit, what work might I do without NCA assessment?

Originally Posted by Felixfinch
Hello!

I'm a 25 year old recent graduate with a Letter of Introduction which will allow me to obtain a 1 year work permit when I enter Canada in March 2012.

After finishing 6 years of university I decided I wanted to experience something new and interesting. I've never been to Canada before however I have always wanted to visit; I can't wait to get out of Devon and onto that plane!

I have searched the internet and this forum and I have some understanding of what it would take to qualify as a lawyer in Canada. My question however is to do with the kind of work experience I might be able to get with my current qualifications.

I have a BA in International Relations and Politics, and a Masters in Law (a two year qualifying law degree) both from the University of Sheffield. I have not taken the LPC. It is my understanding that you can only Article once you have the appropriate Canadian qualifications. However I can't find anything on whether I could do a summer program, or how likely it is to be taken on as a paralegal, secretary or other administrative position.

I would like to gain legal experience while I am in Canada with a view to either securing a UK training contract, or (depending on how things work out) going down the NCA route and remaining in Canada. I would prefer this to be full-time paid work, however I am also willing to work in another area (e.g. hospitality) and undertake voluntary experience/unpaid internships.

Any help from someone in the know would be greatly appreciated! My plan is to go to Toronto, however it is not fixed yet so I am open to other ideas.

Many thanks

Felix
From the legal perspective:

I have no idea about Toronto but, as no one but a lawyer can represent someone in Court in Alberta (there are exceptions to this but a discussion is beyond the scope of this response) you will be unlikely to be able to a paralegal type position as you could in the UK. I believe that paralegals are licenced in Ontario too.

Potential articling students summer with the firms they hope to obtain articles with. These students perform similar work to articling students, so I don't know how easily you would be able to work in such an environment without the required legal background. As firms also use such work periods to narrow down those they will offer articles to I don't know whether you would be what they are after.

Give them a call and see

Best of luck
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Law graduate on 1 year work permit, what work might I do without NCA assessment?

Thanks for the reply, looks like it's either a case of thinking long-term and going down the NCA route or doing admin or voluntary work then.

Is it best to call rather than email/write?
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Felixfinch
Thanks for the reply, looks like it's either a case of thinking long-term and going down the NCA route or doing admin or voluntary work then.

Is it best to call rather than email/write?
I'm in the process of doing my NCA exams but am also working as a legal assistant in the meantime. Not sure if it's different here in NS. It's been great as it's getting me more familiar with the legal system in Canada - the NCA exams would be much more difficult without it. I found that Legal Aid (not sure how it works in other provinces) were very keen to take me on - not many people want to work for them. Good luck.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:29 am
Just Joined

nouveau-canadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Felix,

I'm assuming from your post that you are planning to come to Canada via the IEC Working Holiday Permit.

From what I understand that permit allows you to work but not study (with the exception of short-term "personal development" courses such as learning a new language) - it is one of the T's & C's stipulated as part of the work permit so may be worth looking into in a little more detail. If you want to study for a professional qualification you'll need a study permit/visa (which prevents you from working).

Best of luck and hope that helps.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nouveau-canadian
If you want to study for a professional qualification you'll need a study permit/visa (which prevents you from working).
Just to clarify for the sake of anybody reading that you can work on a study permit, but only 20 hours per week during term time (full-time during holidays).

Also, courses of 6 months duration or less do not require a study permit and can be undertaken on a Temp Work Permit.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:54 am
Just Joined

I'm in the process of doing my NCA exams but am also working as a legal assistant in the meantime.
Cheers Merry, it's good to know that some sort of legal work might be possible. May I ask what UK qualifications you have?

I'm assuming from your post that you are planning to come to Canada via the IEC Working Holiday Permit.
Yes indeed, when I said in my first post about NCA things I was thinking more into the future really if I decided I wanted to stay on in Canada after my year.

Not yet sure what I will do when I come over, the temptation to work in a bar and sail/ski is high to be honest! On the other hand I do want to be a lawyer so it would definitely be good to do something law related even if it is volunteering on the side.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

Law profession faces an ‘articling crisis’
jeff gray — LAW REPORTER
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Nov. 01, 2011 7:28PM EDT

Meagan Williams, 30, has a seemingly impressive résumé for a budding lawyer: a law degree from University of Western Ontario, good grades, two summers in a “pretty coveted” position at her school’s legal clinic, experience at mock-trial competitions, and a master’s degree in politics.
More from The Law Page

But despite her achievements, she was initially unable to secure one of the 10-month articling positions mandatory for all Canadian law-school graduates who wish to become fully fledged lawyers. And she was not alone.

In what’s been called an “articling crisis,” 12 per cent of Ontario law school graduates were unable to get articling jobs in 2011, according to statistics from the Law Society of Upper Canada.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle2221786/
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

briane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Felix,

I was just wondering how things are developing for you?

My situation is pretty similar to yours. Law graduate with some legal experience and wanting to go to Canada (Toronto) on the working holiday permit. I have the hope of getting some more legal experience in Canada with the intention (depending how things turn out) to stay.

Thanks,

Brian
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by briane
Hi Felix,

I was just wondering how things are developing for you?

My situation is pretty similar to yours. Law graduate with some legal experience and wanting to go to Canada (Toronto) on the working holiday permit. I have the hope of getting some more legal experience in Canada with the intention (depending how things turn out) to stay.

Thanks,

Brian
Hi Brian,

Well I'm still heading out in March, however I'm now heading to Vancouver rather than Toronto. Mainly because of the city, partly because paralegals don't have to be licensed (they do in Toronto) so there might be more chance of work.

At the moment I'm exploring some contacts that I might be able to use... a friend/colleague of my dad has a manufacturing company in Vancouver and is willing to meet me and try to give me a job or refer to lawyer friends... to be honest I'd take some sort of office job even if it wasn't in law as I'm not keen to continue working in bars!

Beyond that... I think I will make some speculative calls in January/ February when it is closer to the time and I am not working so much at the hotel.

Any progress for yourself?

Felix