Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Late depositing of UK Pension

Late depositing of UK Pension

Old Aug 12th 2019, 5:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Late depositing of UK Pension

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I currently get a civil service pension paid into my UK bank account which I kept open. I transfer it to my Canadian account using TransferWise. It's cheap and just about the best exchange rate going.

With UK banks moving towards making things a bit more inconvenient - card readers, sending a code to your cell/mobile (which I don't have) - I have been looking at having it direct to the Canadian account. The pension payer tells me they would deposit the money in Sterling and then I'd be subject to that bank's exchange rate on the day.

The Canadian banks - my own, plus a couple of others I checked with - are not particularly forthcoming. Some have suggested there could be a fee of $10 to receive your money.

In addition, the exchange rates look to be between 5c and 10c worse per £ than those used by TW.

So it would seem that for every £500 into the Canadian account you lose between $25 and $50 and pay $10 on top.

With TransferWise there is now a "Borderless" account where the UK pension could be paid in exactly like a UK bank - UK format numbers - and then you transfer to your Canadian account in the usual way.

I plan on continuing with my UK account and if it becomes impractical, it's the borderless account for me.[/LEFT]
RBC is $17 to receive a wire transfer. Other banks > https://www.finder.com/ca/bank-fees-wire-transfers
Old Aug 13th 2019, 12:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
RBC is $17 to receive a wire transfer. Other banks > https://www.finder.com/ca/bank-fees-wire-transfers
It's all a bit strange really. "Wire" seems to be an all encompassing term looking it up. Even including Swift.

But since in Canada I have done swift transfers from my UK account to the lawyer's account twice (for property purchase) and to another account twice. Each time the only fee has been at the UK end.

I transfer money using TransferWise and again, there's no receiving fee.

Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Marion W is an unknown quantity at this point

That is more encouraging.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 4:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

For future reference, I just found this on the Govt website: https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad
Delays to payments around US bank holidays
If you live abroad and your payment is due in the same week as a US bank holiday, it could arrive one day late. This is because a US company processes these payments.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for the link regarding late Pensions from the UK.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

I was considering opening a Transferwise Border less account until i read the reviews
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/fina...nsferwise.html
Old Sep 5th 2019, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
I was considering opening a Transferwise Border less account until i read the reviews
It`s is the usual story....if it sounds too good to be true etc. etc. Thanks for the follow-up on that,
Old Sep 5th 2019, 8:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
I find this puzzling. I've read loads of those reviews and aside from a couple they don't explicitly say this is about the borderless account. It reads like complaints about the service which bear no resemblance to reality of my experiences (some look like downright lies) nor those of everyone else who has posted on BE about it.

However, a few talk about having their account closed and it's not clear whether they mean a borderless account was closed or just a general one.

If those reviews really mean their normal service, then either something different happens with less common currencies/transfers or there's something malicious going on.

There's even one review (specific reference to a borderless account) where the user got a number wrong when inputting and said it was TW's fault for not checking. The funds went to the wrong recipient. Just as they would with any other service if you put the wrong number in.

I have to say that if there was any truth to some of those allegations, I'm sure it would have made the news.
I've googled and can't find anything.

Googling also shows results page of review sites routinely giving 4/5 stars out of 5.

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 5th 2019 at 8:11 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 8:15 pm
Oscar nominated

Just found this
https://www.truthinadvertising.org/c...r-affairs-com/

Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, 'fake news'. At the very top of the consumer affairs website in tiny writing is a link about their reviews which if you then click on further links, it talks about 'accredited companies' and says TransferWise is not one of their 'accredited' companies. If you read what they have to do to be accredited, it says they must pay consumer affairs an unspecified monthly fee etc. Sound a bit like extortion to me.

I have used TW for 3 or 4 years and so far transferred a few hundred thou GBP through them with no problems at all. It is quicker to get money from my UK account to my Canadian account through them than it is fir me to get money from my Canadian account to pay one of my Canadian credit cards!

I did look into their borderless account, but as I already have a real and ongoing bank account in the UK with Nationwide and I am about to open another real US bank account through RBC, I have no need of their borderless account. Worth mentioning that as these borderless accounts are not with a 'real' bank, they are not covered by the banking deposit guarantee (happy to be corrected here if I am wrong). So I personally would not keep anything of more thsn a couple of thou as a working balance in such an account.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:32 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Marion W
It`s is the usual story....if it sounds too good to be true etc. etc. Thanks for the follow-up on that,
I hope you've seen the follow ups to the follow up

It seems that with that site you pay a fee to get good reviews sought out and published and the reverse if you don't. It really does sound like 'protection money' or you get your legs broken, windows smashed, poor reviews etc.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I have used TW for 3 or 4 years and so far transferred a few hundred thou GBP through them with no problems at all. It is quicker to get money from my UK account to my Canadian account through them than it is fir me to get money from my Canadian account to pay one of my Canadian credit cards!
I've lost count of the number I've done. Did my latest today and the confirmation says it'll be in my Canadian account 6 hours later. It was accurate last time.
I did look into their borderless account, but as I already have a real and ongoing bank account in the UK with Nationwide and I am about to open another real US bank account through RBC, I have no need of their borderless account. Worth mentioning that as these borderless accounts are not with a 'real' bank, they are not covered by the banking deposit guarantee (happy to be corrected here if I am wrong). So I personally would not keep anything of more thsn a couple of thou as a working balance in such an account.
Yes, I may do this in future if it becomes more difficult to access my UK bank account - texts to UK mobile phones etc as extra security check - and have my pension paid into one. It will only be there as a balance to transfer to my usual bank in Canada so just a day or so.

Regarding protection, this is what the website says:
TransferWise is an authorised Electronic Money Institution regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in the UK.
We're required by law to protect your money by storing it in a low-risk financial institution (in Europe this is in our UK Barclays bank accounts).
That means that, in the unlikely event that TransferWise became insolvent, your money would be unaffected and should be refunded to you in full.
If our official Banking Institution (in Europe this would mean Barclays), became insolvent, your return of funds would not be guaranteed as the account is not guaranteed by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).
So it would seem it requires Barclays to go under for anything to be lost.
Services such as TransferWise have had so many articles written about them in so many financial publications that if anything were the least bit dodgy, it would have been published by now.

Old Sep 6th 2019, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was the Barclays going insolvent bit I was referring to. IF you had say a personal account as well with Barclays, even if they went bust, your deposits up to EUR 100k would be protected. Of course no one thought that a bank could go insolvent until 2008!

But yes, definitely a minor 'theoretical' risk.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 11:00 pm
Oscar nominated

I've lost count of the number I've done. Did my latest today and the confirmation says it'll be in my Canadian account 6 hours later. It was accurate last time.
Not sure what time it got there but it was within 9 hours.