Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Late depositing of UK Pension

Late depositing of UK Pension

Old Aug 3rd 2019, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Marion W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Late depositing of UK Pension

My UK pension is always deposited every 4 weeks on a Saturday in a Canadian bank. Apparently the UK pension is transferred from the US, but if it is a holiday weekend in the States then my pension does not get deposited until the next week. My British pension should have been deposited today (3rd August 2019) and I am surprised that as not come about as there is no holiday in the States this weekend? I cannot figure out why, when everything is automated, that there is a delay at all.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Late depositing of UK Pension

Originally Posted by Marion W
My UK pension is always deposited every 4 weeks on a Saturday in a Canadian bank. Apparently the UK pension is transferred from the US, but if it is a holiday weekend in the States then my pension does not get deposited until the next week. My British pension should have been deposited today (3rd August 2019) and I am surprised that as not come about as there is no holiday in the States this weekend? I cannot figure out why, when everything is automated, that there is a delay at all.
its a holiday weekend in most of Canada though. May have something to do with it
Old Aug 4th 2019, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. Monday, the 5th August is a Civic holiday, but I think my bank was open today (Saturday). Anyhow I hope the Civic holiday is the reason the pension was not deposited. Thanks again.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 4:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. Monday, the 5th August is a Civic holiday, but I think my bank was open today (Saturday). Anyhow I hope the Civic holiday is the reason the pension was not deposited. Thanks again.
Hello, and welcome to BE!

It will depend what time the transfer was sent.. for instance, BMO any payments received after 4pm won't show in an account until the next business day. The next business day next week will be Tuesday. Saturday, Sunday and any Civic holidays are not business days. Banks may be open to attend, but that isn't relevent to business days / transfers.

https://www.bmo.com/pdf/wire-process...ule-can-en.pdf
https://td.intelliresponse.com/cbaw/...fers+processed
Old Aug 4th 2019, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your input on this, much appreciated. Years ago my UK pension was always deposited on a Wednesday which was good because there was no interruption with holidays. For some reason it was changed to being deposited on a Saturday, so when the US have a holiday again I get a late payment. I guess I was concerned this time because there is no holiday in the US this weekend. Again, thank you for your explanation.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

My UK pension was deposited on Friday 2nd as scheduled (2 payments this month for me yipeee) but a debit i have the 3rd of every month did not get taken out. the long weekend screws it up should be back to normal tuesday.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Slightly off topic
and just info
a few years time before i can get a uk pension

but does getting the pension deposited to a canadian bank give a better exchange rate than getting it in a UK bank and changing it yourself ?

cheers
jerry
Old Aug 11th 2019, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Hi Jerry, Sorry unable to answer your question re the better exchange rate. My pension has always been deposited in a Canadian bank so I do not have anything to compare with. Most, BritishExpats living in Canada are disgruntled with the fact that that we never receive any increases and the pension which you receive at the start will stay the same. I know I am in the minority with my opinion and, don`t misunderstand, I would love to receive pension increases but "fair do`s" we have left the UK and we do not pay into the system anymore, so I understand why we do not receive increases.

Sorry I could not answer your question.

ttfn

Marion
Old Aug 11th 2019, 5:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer
but does getting the pension deposited to a canadian bank give a better exchange rate than getting it in a UK bank and changing it yourself ?

I currently get a civil service pension paid into my UK bank account which I kept open. I transfer it to my Canadian account using TransferWise. It's cheap and just about the best exchange rate going.

With UK banks moving towards making things a bit more inconvenient - card readers, sending a code to your cell/mobile (which I don't have) - I have been looking at having it direct to the Canadian account. The pension payer tells me they would deposit the money in Sterling and then I'd be subject to that bank's exchange rate on the day.

The Canadian banks - my own, plus a couple of others I checked with - are not particularly forthcoming. Some have suggested there could be a fee of $10 to receive your money.

In addition, the exchange rates look to be between 5c and 10c worse per £ than those used by TW.

So it would seem that for every £500 into the Canadian account you lose between $25 and $50 and pay $10 on top.

With TransferWise there is now a "Borderless" account where the UK pension could be paid in exactly like a UK bank - UK format numbers - and then you transfer to your Canadian account in the usual way.

I plan on continuing with my UK account and if it becomes impractical, it's the borderless account for me.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Just wondering, to have a UK Bank account, are you required to have a UK address?
Old Aug 11th 2019, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

The Govt uk pensions website regarding payment overseas says "you will receive better exchange rates due to their bulk buying of currency. I use their service and the exchange rate is usually about 3cents less than the bank exchange rate. Unless you kept a uk Bank account open when you left UK you will not be able to open one unless you have an address in uk. i have been trying for 3 years to open one without success, banks want proof of tenancy/ownership etc you have to produce utility bills in your name or receipts for rent from your landlord. You could open an offshore account.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

I rather thought that would be the case that an address would be required. I did not know that there is a loss between $25 and $50 when the pension is deposited into a Canadian bank. We must remember, they do need the money. lol
Thank you very much you have been very helpful.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

BritishExpats living in Canada are disgruntled with the fact that that we never receive any increases and the pension which you receive at the start will stay the same. I know I am in the minority with my opinion and, don`t misunderstand, I would love to receive pension increases but "fair do`s" we have left the UK and we do not pay into the system anymore, so I understand why we do not receive increases.
Hmmm... so how do you square the fact that Brits living in Canada get no annual increase, but if you lived in say any other EU country, OR Switzerland, you would get the normal annual increase (of course living in those countries you would not 'pay into the system anymore' (assuming you mean paying UK taxes in general of course)? I am not stressed about it particularly myself, it is just inequitable IMHO.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 10:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering, to have a UK Bank account, are you required to have a UK address?
It's more about being resident. Aside from offshore accounts one of the conditions listed is "for UK residents" but once opened it seems okay to keep it if no longer UK resident.

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
The Govt uk pensions website regarding payment overseas says "you will receive better exchange rates due to their bulk buying of currency. I use their service and the exchange rate is usually about 3cents less than the bank exchange rate. .
That first part may have applied prior to the likes of TW setting up. Interesting that the state pension is converted to the currency of the bank it goes into but government civil service pension is deposited in ££. That's what they tell me anyway.

I did not know that there is a loss between $25 and $50 when the pension is deposited into a Canadian bank. We must remember, they do need the money...
There may not be for state pension if the exchange is done at the UK end as Cheltonian says, although he says it's about 3c less rather than the 5-10c I've been finding. But then if the Canadian bank is receiving it in $$ they're probably not charging that other fee, so may not be much difference overall.

Old Aug 11th 2019, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

I know, if I lived say in the States I would be receiving UK pension increases and of course the extra money would be most welcome, it really would. and I would accept the extra if it was being offered, but deep down my opinion is that we do not contribute anymore to the UK economy so I am also ok with that decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.