Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing Trip Advice

Landing Trip Advice

Old Jul 18th 2018, 4:30 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing Trip Advice

All good info although glad I wont need to use it ever again now that Im here haha! With regards knowing what you'll bring we just put everything down, even though we didnt bring some of it, and also some extra things that we thought we might have by the time we moved, again some we did and some we didnt. And since the list is so vague with 'mens clothing' 'womens clothing' kitchenware, etc it doesnt really matter - the only thing we were specific about were serial numbers of electronic items.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

EngCan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the links, info etc.

I knew I had read somewhere that it didn’t HAVE to be done when landing and activating PR but couldn’t remember where.

Might look to do the form prior to trip in September but as pointed out you don’t necessarily know what you will be taking / may have bought more things after that so possibly just do it but not shout up if not asked for it!

Thanks All
Old Jul 20th 2018, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
It seems I encountered similarly trained staff at Vancouver when we 'soft landed' last summer then - luckily I too had it all ready and just did as I was told. Best to have it done to avoid problems.
And I got the same in Halifax in December.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 9:01 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

For us the time spent at Customs while he processed the GTF form took longer than our processing time at Immigration and our GTF form was pretty low value and basic.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
For us the time spent at Customs while he processed the GTF form took longer than our processing time at Immigration and our GTF form was pretty low value and basic.
Yep - same here!
Old Jul 20th 2018, 3:09 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Yep - same here!
Likewise!
Old Jul 21st 2018, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

If you soft land in Toronto, you will be issued your SIN at the airport. Best thing we did was open a bank account on our trip. We used our sister-in-laws address for all correspondence. You can open a bank account with RBC from abroad as well. It is handy as you can start transferring funds over when the exchange rate is favourable. You can't register for public health insurance or a driving licence until you are permanently in Canada.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 1:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
If you soft land in Toronto, you will be issued your SIN at the airport. Best thing we did was open a bank account on our trip. We used our sister-in-laws address for all correspondence. You can open a bank account with RBC from abroad as well. It is handy as you can start transferring funds over when the exchange rate is favourable. You can't register for public health insurance or a driving licence until you are permanently in Canada.
Good points - thanks for the reminder!

You can go to the Service Canada booth at Pearson Airport Terminal 3 (Arrivals Level) or Terminal 1 Ground Level - and apply for your SI number - it's not automatically issued. It doesn't take long but you will need some documentation - you can find a list here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...g.html#primary

Most of the banks allow you to begin the account opening process whilst you are still overseas, but you will likely need to attend a branch and give a Canadian address to finalise it. There's links to all the newcomer accounts on this website: https://creditcardgenius.ca/blog/new...nada-finances/ - or here - https://www.cba.ca/newcomers-to-canada might be of use

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 22nd 2018 at 1:42 am.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I have a week and a half now until my landing trip and just wanted to get back into the Goods to Follow List again as having read the link which was given (thank you christmasoompa) I have a question on the address I need to give.

The form asks for Importers Address but doesn’t state that it has to be a Canadian address. The forum article says that it does need to be a Canadian address and if you don’t have one to use your shippers address. We have not decided on a shipping company yet and do not have an address of our own in Canada so I wanted to check if people in a similar position had used their existing UK address (if that is possible?) or is it OK to simply use an address of a relative in Canada? On the latter point just want to make sure ID is not required when collecting goods or anything like that.

Many Thanks

Dave

Old Aug 31st 2018, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what form you are referring to. The B4 list for goods to follow (or whatever it is called now) that I filled in just over a year ago does not ask for any address. CBSA happily stamped this for me.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

The form has B4 in the bottom left and BSF186 in the bottom right so I assume it is the same form - titled Personal Effects Accounting Doc
Old Aug 31st 2018, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Whoops!

Personal Effects Accounting Document.

It it has a large box for Importers Address in the top left hand side of the page...........