Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing Proof Of Funds - PR

Landing Proof Of Funds - PR

Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Ardara is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Landing Proof Of Funds - PR

I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. We intend to land and have a reccie trip in May to activate our PR, but have to return to sell the house Unless house sells by then

When we land do we have to show immigration the paperwork explaining:

1) proof of actual available funds in the bank
Or, 2) can we take paperwork showing equity that will come from the house (mortgage statement & house valuation) & endowment statement?

Obviously along with all the PR paperwork & goods to follow. If it is No.2, should this be listed as goods to follow?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of
Default Re: Landing Proof Of Funds - PR

Actual money I'm afraid.

Having said that, when we landed they never asked about it, just what we were carrying with us in cash.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

MR MOM will become famous soon enoughMR MOM will become famous soon enough

We also landed to activate our status but went home a week later. Don't think we had to show proof of funds at that time. Struggling to think actually when or if we had to but that was in 20004/5
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

We landed at Calgary in 2008 and they didn't ask us
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:33 am
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ardara
I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. We intend to land and have a reccie trip in May to activate our PR, but have to return to sell the house Unless house sells by then

When we land do we have to show immigration the paperwork explaining:

1) proof of actual available funds in the bank
Or, 2) can we take paperwork showing equity that will come from the house (mortgage statement & house valuation) & endowment statement?

Obviously along with all the PR paperwork & goods to follow. If it is No.2, should this be listed as goods to follow?
We landed a few weeks ago in Vancouver and are in the same boat as you (have to return to sell the house) I took an up to date copy of the mortgage statement and a copy of the sales details of the house ( which would show amount left) the immigration officer didnt want to see it. If I was you I would take similar just in case
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Most people report having not been asked for proof of funds, but I have seen a few that have been asked so best to go prepared - the last thing you want is to be refused at the last hurdle!

They will *not* accept equity in a house at the landing stage, London will accept it for initial applications but when you come to land the funds *must* be unencumbered, meaning it literally has to be cash in your bank account. An ATM print out from the day or very recent bank account statement is what is required.

Good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

We just showed a bank statement. I dont think you can show equity in a house though as this doesnt physically exist. I may be wrong though.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Ardara is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Landing Proof Of Funds - PR

Thank you all for your replies. I think we will play it safe and take a bank statement, mortgage statement and house details, to cover all bases.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:04 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I'd been living here for 3yrs (on a WP), so when it came time to 'land', via trip to the US border and back, needed to do the same.

Despite owning properties here, and a business, I still needed to show unencumbered funds (not just equity). Immigration were quite diligent checking that the money was available.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dexdaw
We just showed a bank statement.
Presumably this was a Canadian bank?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
Doesn't have to be, can be a bank account held anywhere in the world.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

coolmum1 is a jewel in the roughcoolmum1 is a jewel in the roughcoolmum1 is a jewel in the roughcoolmum1 is a jewel in the rough

When we landed the nice man doin our paper worked said "how much money you got" we told him we had $900 on us and money to be transferd, he asked how much and wrote that down, he never asked to see proof.
Mybe you could borrow some £ put it in yor account, get a statment then give it back. MAYBEE?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
No, it was in the UK.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Doesn't have to be, can be a bank account held anywhere in the world.
Originally Posted by dexdaw
No, it was in the UK.
one less thing to worry aboot then eh?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by coolmum1
Mybe you could borrow some £ put it in yor account, get a statment then give it back. MAYBEE?
Sorry to sound horribly sensible but it does state on CIC website that the funds cannot be borrowed - now I realise they probably won't find out and you would get away with it but just had to mention it as the voice of caution!