Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm considering a move to Canada!

I'm considering a move to Canada!

Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Harris87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm considering a move to Canada!

Hi all,

I'm new to this site, found it whilst perusing google looking for information about Canada and after having a read about, I thought I would join and ask for some advice as you all seem so darn friendly!

First off, apologies for the length of this, I'm just going to put down everything I want to ask in this and if anyone wants to reply then unfortunately you will probably have to sift through all the rubbish! lol.

I'm 22 years old and looking for abit of adventure in my life! I didn't go to University, been working for a Travel Company for the past 3 and a half years and have become disillusioned with life in Britain lately (there's a suprise I hear you cry!). So I've decided to change, start living my life, get the experience from it that I missed out on in not going to University!

Having thought about numerous different locations throughout the world, I've decided that I would love to spend some time in Canada. I'm not looking to live there for good (at least not at the moment anyway!) so I've decided to take on the Bunac option and their "Work Canada" programme. You all seem to be recommending it to people starting out so I thought "Hey, why not?"

I haven't yet applied and I know that some of you have said it gets busy pretty quickly, but before I apply, I wanted to know a few things.

1) What time of the year what each of you recommend and why?

2) As a big sports fan ranging from NFL to Soccer to Skiing, where in Canada would be the most appropriate for such activities?

3) As a 22 year old I'm looking for somewhere with a vibrant nightlife and preferrably a big City area. Where would you recommend?

4) Job wise, I see that most people that go out there tend to get part-time work in shops and cafe's/bars, I would be more than happy to do this, just wondered what some of you would recommend or if that isn't the best way to go about it?

5) I'm tempted to head out to Canada around September/October time, for about 6-8 months, what could or should I expect around that time, in regards to where each of you live, what would be the typical weather/social activity/lifestyle around that time?

Apologies if all these things have been covered elsewhere. Thanks for reading it all and I would love to hear from some of you on your responses!

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:50 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm considering a move to Canada!

www.BUNAC.org

I would try Toronto, but you mentioned ski-ing- so I would lean toward the West coast.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:55 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
www.BUNAC.org

I would try Toronto, but you mentioned ski-ing- so I would lean toward the West coast.
I would say Toronto as well. You can do ski-ing in Ontario. Isn't Horseshoe about 1 hour away from Toronto?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Montreal has certainly got some good nightlife, lots of winter sports too. It's pretty different in many ways to the rest of Canada too
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:16 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Probably Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal.

I think if I was 22 (which alas I'm not) I would spend the first couple of months getting to see Canada and decide where I liked. Either get one of these: http://www.viarail.ca/planner/en_cart_canr.html or one of these: http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ85230847 and do the coast to coast trip checking out majour cities along the way. After all you said you wanted adventure. Get a BUNAC visa before you go though. When you find somewhere you like stop there and find a job.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:55 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I would say Toronto as well. You can do ski-ing in Ontario. Isn't Horseshoe about 1 hour away from Toronto?
Yes but I just got back from Whistler.

*sigh

Ontario skiing is

Actually, going to most resorts anywhere after experiencing Whistler will be a let down.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
Yes but I just got back from Whistler.

*sigh

Ontario skiing is

Actually, going to most resorts anywhere after experiencing Whistler will be a let down.
Would second that, if you love skiing then don't bother with Toronto!

Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:09 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

As the above poster stated I wouldn't aim to stick in one spot.

If your coming Sept/Oct then maybe start in Toronto or Montreal for a month or two then move West.

You could aim to work a ski season in the rockies either around Banff area in Alberta or Whistler near Vancouver. Lots of other people your age will be doing this and work starts late Nov/ early Dec. You'll definatley get your fix of all sports and at least if you're in the West you can go see a better Hockey team than what's available in the East...