Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing as Permanent Residents

Landing as Permanent Residents

Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really nice
Default Landing as Permanent Residents

Hi Gang - haven't been around for a while but we're about to depart for the Canada shores to land as Permanent Residents (and then come back to the UK for a year unfortunately) so I just wanted to check something.

Proof of funds on landing - can you still use a mortgage statement and signed valuation from an estate agent? Or can that just be used during the application stages?

We've had to use some of our savings unexpectedly and although I think we will be just about okay on the amount needed - I want to have a back up plan in case we are not.

Thanks as always
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:07 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing as Permanent Residents

No, on landing the funds must be liquid and readily transferable. Basically means you need to have it in savings, not tied up in stocks, bonds, property etc.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Idomeneus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landing as Permanent Residents

When I landed the guy asked me how much funds I had, I picked a rough figure out of the air, and he noted it down: he didn't ask to see any documents. Quite informal really. Relaxed.

It was just me however, so maybe he viewed me as a low risk in terms of financial risk to Canada. Plus I told him my visit was just for a couple of weeks, and I would be returning to the uk.

So the point is, as you are returning they may not even bother to see any documentation. If you have no option regards proof of funds, you could say, the funds are not there as you do not intend living in Canada immediately. Not sure whether that would wash, however.

Just look rich.

Question that come to my mind when writing this are
does the immigration man know which flight you came on, and the type of ticket: return, one-way?
Is there a kind of profile they look for to prove funds: i.e. families, hippies?

Originally Posted by Tempest
Hi Gang - haven't been around for a while but we're about to depart for the Canada shores to land as Permanent Residents (and then come back to the UK for a year unfortunately) so I just wanted to check something.

Proof of funds on landing - can you still use a mortgage statement and signed valuation from an estate agent? Or can that just be used during the application stages?

We've had to use some of our savings unexpectedly and although I think we will be just about okay on the amount needed - I want to have a back up plan in case we are not.

Thanks as always