Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing in Canada - only for a short break...

Landing in Canada - only for a short break...

Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Buddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the rough
Default Landing in Canada - only for a short break...

Hi all,

We are planning on landing in Toronto when we are over there on holiday next month. Great!

Of course we will be taking our paperwork and statements. But, I understand that we will need to do a "Goods accompanying" and "Goods to follow" lists.

However, on this trip it will only be a couple of suitcases worth of clothes, etc. Can anyone advise if we need to list each item in our cases!?? Or just go ahead and list the suitcases?

I have bookmarked the Wiki article on landing.

Many thanks
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in Canada - only for a short break...

Originally Posted by Buddy
Hi all,

We are planning on landing in Toronto when we are over there on holiday next month. Great!

Of course we will be taking our paperwork and statements. But, I understand that we will need to do a "Goods accompanying" and "Goods to follow" lists.

However, on this trip it will only be a couple of suitcases worth of clothes, etc. Can anyone advise if we need to list each item in our cases!?? Or just go ahead and list the suitcases?

I have bookmarked the Wiki article on landing.

Many thanks
For the Goods Accompanying list, we grouped our items together that we had with us at the time of landing.

Example

2x Suitcase = $200
Clothing = $2000
Jewellery = $xxxx

...and so on.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Buddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the rough

Thats great - thank you - thought for a min was going to need to list each item of clothing individually.

Do you put the prices at what they are worth to replace or worth second hand?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buddy
Thats great - thank you - thought for a min was going to need to list each item of clothing individually.

Do you put the prices at what they are worth to replace or worth second hand?
You put the price you paid. The initial cost of the item.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Bonestable will become famous soon enough

When we landed we gave them a list of all of our personal possessions that we would be importing at a later date.

We did not list the items we had with us. We told them verbally that we had a couple of suitcases of clothes, toileteries and toys that we would be taking back home at the end of the stay. They were only interested in if we had anything we would be leaving in Canada.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

Is there a list anywhere of what average prices are - e.g. a box of books, a suitcase of clothes?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Or a template would be fantastic!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:52 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by marimac
Is there a list anywhere of what average prices are - e.g. a box of books, a suitcase of clothes?
Easy. Calculate what YOUR value would be
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

We are still waiting after completing the extra medical in Dec. for a response - hopefully passport request.

Like you we have looked at the price of flights and may decide to land in Toronto as it is far cheaper and we will take in Niagra etc while we are there.

The goods to follow list has been on our mind and provoked discussion on what exactly we want to take and if it is really worth it - could try to sell it all and start afresh. We are still not decided as I believe that you cannot take bedding and quilts etc. So it would only boil down to the 2 sofas, beds and maybe table chairs - for major items - I cannot see the value then of a container cost just for that.

It may be better to travel light !!

JET
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
We are still not decided as I believe that you cannot take bedding and quilts etc.
You can't take bedding etc? I haven't heard that tbh....hope you can coz I've just vacu packed mine and boxed them up.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

My wife is under this impression about bedding etc - don't know where that has come from but she thinks it is something to do with importing of unwanted things.

Maybe I am totally wrong - - and if so it will be cheaper !!!

JET
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JET....can you ask your wife where she heard this because I haven't read anything like that before. I have just looked at an example packing list from my shipper that a previous customer wrote and it has curtains, towels & duvets on there and the shipment went through ok.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

I have looked into this myself after asking her and I must apologise that you may have had a curveball. It is not something that I have looked into, but she can't remember where she saw it. I would stick by with what you are doing.

From the Wiki it looks fine.

Sorry about that extra tension

JET
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

I have looked into this myself after asking her and I must apologise that you may have had a curveball. It is not something that I have looked into, but she can't remember where she saw it. I would stick by with what you are doing.

JET
haha no problem...I am packing the majority of the house up this weekend so my stress seriously can't get any worse!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:15 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

JET
She's just after an excuse to buy all new linens!

If you are bring your own beds, bring your own linens. If you are buying new beds then some of your stuff won't fit as well is all.
There was discussion in the past about fumigating mattresses .... I never heard of anyone who actually had to do it though, nor anyone whose mattresses were confiscated on landing!