Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing & Borders

Landing & Borders

Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice
Post Landing & Borders

Hi we want to "land" and combine it with a vacation. We'd like to fly into New York as we've never been there and then drive up and land at somewhere like Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls and continue into Ontario, get our PR & SIN cards etc sorted, take a tourist look round and then come back across the Border into the US and fly back out of NY. The cost of the flight is about £1000 less to do this and by breaking up the trip the drive isn't really an issue.

My questions are:

1) Do we complete the usual visa waiver form into the US and say nothing about landing in Canada? (am guessing so) We're just doing a fly drive thing with hotels booked along the way.

2) When we cross the land Border will this work as smoothly as flying into an airport? Is this a common thing they deal with?

3) ...and the one that concerns me the most - What paperwork, visa waiver etc will we need to come back into the US from Canada to catch our flight from NY?

Would be great if anyone can help with this

Thanks.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing & Borders

I was hoping someone else would answer this as I am not 100% sure of the right answers. But, AFAIK:

Originally Posted by bex1
1) Do we complete the usual visa waiver form into the US and say nothing about landing in Canada? (am guessing so) We're just doing a fly drive thing with hotels booked along the way.
I think yes to the usual visa waiver form. You don't need to volunteer the information that you are planning to "land" in Canada but you should always answer any questions the immigration officers ask honestly

2) When we cross the land Border will this work as smoothly as flying into an airport? Is this a common thing they deal with?
If the border crossing offers immigration services (not all do) and it is open (not all immigration offices are open 24/7) then you will be fine. Check on the Canada Border services website. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...s/index-e.html

It seems that Rainbow Bridge does offer immigration services and is open 24/7.

3) ...and the one that concerns me the most - What paperwork, visa waiver etc will we need to come back into the US from Canada to catch our flight from NY?
If you are issued a visa waiver at a land border they are good for multiple entries for three months. I am not sure if the same applies if you arrive at an airport. If not, couldn't you just apply for a new one when you return to the US?