Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landed PR returning to Toronto - which queue at the airport

Landed PR returning to Toronto - which queue at the airport

Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Idomeneus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landed PR returning to Toronto - which queue at the airport

I 'validated' my PR visa last year and returning to Canada from England next month. Sorry for the weak post, but when arriving at Toronto airport there's normally two kinds of queue at passport control: one for the 'tourists', and one for Canadians and the like.

As I have a PR visa, should I join the Canadian (shorter?) queue or the tourist queue; or does it matter which?

Also, on planes before arriving they dole out cards for passengers to fill out for immigration - will I have to fill one of these in?

I am guessing I have to queue with the non-nationals and fill out a form on the plane.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:54 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landed PR returning to Toronto - which queue at the airport

All queues are the same we line up with Canadians. Yes you do need to fill in the form.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Idomeneus
I 'validated' my PR visa last year and returning to Canada from England next month. Sorry for the weak post, but when arriving at Toronto airport there's normally two kinds of queue at passport control: one for the 'tourists', and one for Canadians and the like.

As I have a PR visa, should I join the Canadian (shorter?) queue or the tourist queue; or does it matter which?

Also, on planes before arriving they dole out cards for passengers to fill out for immigration - will I have to fill one of these in?

I am guessing I have to queue with the non-nationals and fill out a form on the plane.

Just having a PR doesn't make you Canadian and those cards you get are not for immigration, they're for customs. Canadians fill them out too. So you guess right.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Idomeneus

Ditto - Canada is an equal opportunity queue-ist - go to whereever the line is shortest, it's all the same!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 1:09 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Only one line in Toronto immigration. And yes you have to fill in the card, however you fill it in as a resident.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:25 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Does YVR still have two lines? I always assumed the reason was so that they could easily identify the citizens to be able to subject them to the most inane, pointless and unneccesary questioning. I miss YVR customs and immigration - they are quite special. They once told me that I could go to Seattle or Victoria for a 2 night weekend - anything else was considered suspicious to them. They really didn't like me when I went to Singapore for eight hours. In secondary they actually told me that they suspected me of money, drug or people smuggling and suggested that if I was I should tell them. I wasn't so didn't.
A friend once went to Hong Kong for one night and when asked why he went he said he had a craving for really authentic Chinese food and Vancouver just wasn't cutting it that night. I think the rubber gloves came out!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

At YVR there are two lines. One, the nice short one, is for Nexus card holders. The other is for the hoi polloi of every nationality.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:42 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

At YVR they sometimes open up a seperate line for Canadian Residents and Citizens only (that would include PR holders) - but that's only when it's really busy.