Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

land rover defender in canada?

land rover defender in canada?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: land rover defender in canada?

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Off road trail driving..you know, the sort of thing off road clubs get up too...

http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/...s/100_0100.jpg

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/data/a...988/iron10.jpg
In that case then the primary criteria have to be "old and cheap" which in North America means Jeep. I suspect though that most people don't drive on worse roads than those shown, none of which require four wheel drive never mind low ratios and all the rest of it.
Attached Thumbnails land rover defender in canada?-108_0846.jpg   land rover defender in canada?-120_2062_2.jpg   land rover defender in canada?-109_0936.jpg  
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:18 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
In that case then the primary criteria have to be "old and cheap" which in North America means Jeep. I suspect though that most people don't drive on worse roads than those shown, none of which require four wheel drive never mind low ratios and all the rest of it.
I agree, I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would want either for day to day transportation. But it takes all sorts to make a world as my mother used to say

Where was that by the way? Colorado? Utah?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
No, I read it somewhere. Will dig around and see where.

Edit: this isn't where I read it, but they have old drawings of a rumour of a 2008 Defender that proved to be completely false. They wonder if they might be drawings of the 2010 replacement instead? http://tinyurl.com/29enjn
Urgh, I'm glad they never made that one.

Anyway Biiiiink, thanks for looking for the photos, you have now redeemed yourself for moving one of my threads to The Maple Leaf (I was really cross about that for a while).
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would want either for day to day transportation. But it takes all sorts to make a world as my mother used to say

Where was that by the way? Colorado? Utah?
That's in the San Juan's, CO. The Element picture was near Durango, off this road: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/million.htm

The Jeep pictures were on a trip to see Animas Forks, a ghost town near Ouray.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:07 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's in the San Juan's, CO. The Element picture was near Durango, off this road: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/million.htm

The Jeep pictures were on a trip to see Animas Forks, a ghost town near Ouray.

Cool. We did this one in a rental cavalier....
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/Getti...ional-Park.htm
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:09 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
thanks for all the repies.

i do quite like the look of the toyota FJ cruiser, seems to be a modern take on the the landy. has anyone got one/tried one??
was in one only last night, popped along to a dealership near to work just for a quick nosey at a rav4 they had on the lot for the mrs. whilst there saw a 8mth old one, 45,000km, the c package auto, $32,000, not so keen on the colour a sort of wishy washy blue, some may call it pastel.
anyway, the controls are certainly 'chunky', functional, and i personally quite like them, i can see why others may not though, its going to be love it or hate it.
the pictures don't do it justice, its smaller than i imagined, the suicide doors make it a little awkward, the load area isn't huge, and the rear view is horrendous, you pretty well have a blind spot from the rear to your shoulder the c pillars are so wide.
overall, it has good ground clearance, the interior and exterior are funky, modern and different and i believe looking at canadian consumer mag the first year reliability, as you would expect, has been exemplary.
i think its one of those cars that is nice to think about owning, but actually owning one on a daily basis may be a bit of a pain, especially if you keep reversing over trolley boys in safeways car park as you can't see out the back.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Cool. We did this one in a rental cavalier....
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/Getti...ional-Park.htm
I took the Mustang there. And to the Giant Sequoias NP. (Those on the way back from the whimsical trip to drive on the beach in Malibu).

Since I have a long history of renting convertibles I've been to loads of NPs in Sebrings and Mustangs; the Great Salt Lake (sank rental car), Pike's Peak (flat tyre on scary bend), down through the Keys (sank in sand, had to be towed). Lots without mishaps too.

Scenery's a bit wasted if you're in a hardtop still, we manage with what's at hand.

Attached, Utah, making the best of the sunroof in the Highlander.

Arches NP, by truck.

On some BLM land in CO, it was really quite brisk even compared to Canada.

(Last two pictues reversed, oops.)
Attached Thumbnails land rover defender in canada?-106_0616.jpg   land rover defender in canada?-f1010013.jpg   land rover defender in canada?-f1010018.jpg   land rover defender in canada?-f1010010.jpg  

Last edited by dbd33; Jul 24th 2007 at 3:23 pm.