Reload this Page >

Good places to live within an hour of Halifax, NS

Good places to live within an hour of Halifax, NS

Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Fencesitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good places to live within an hour of Halifax, NS

Hi everyone,
I wonder if any of you have views on good areas to live not too far from Halifax. I've been told that some areas are very foggy or 'boondocks' whatever that means. I know that it is horses for courses but nonetheless here goes.

We would like to be reasonably close to an ER because our son has a nut allergy. We dont want to be cut off in snow or stuck in fog. We would like good primary and secondary schools nearby and some shops. We want to be part of a community but would also like to be able to possibly keep a couple of ponies on a few acres.

Is this possible on $250-300k ?

Yours hopefully,
Fencesitter.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good places to live within an hour of Halifax, NS

I'm sure some posters who actually live in Halifax will come on and give you more information about areas and schools etc. but here's mine. We visited Halifax last summer and liked Bedford, Fall River and the Eastern Shore. Bedford is a suburb of Halifax, we stayed at a B & B there.

We visited friends in Fall River, less than 35 mins. from Halifax. Very nice area and is becoming increasingly popular with Brits. However, some properties are on wells and you'd need to check water supply out etc.

We also stayed at a place on the Eastern Shore at Gaetz Brook. The property backed onto a lake and we swam daily in the lake as well as canoeing and generally chilling out. It was one of the best holidays we ever had

I would suggest you go and visit NS on a holiday to find out for yourself and decide where you'd like to live, if that's possible.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 8:48 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Nova Scotia, Nouvelle- Ecosse, New Scotland.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

hi fencesitter,

We are off to NS at the beginning of Sept with a view to looking at some properties for horses etc. will give you an idea when we get back
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fencesitter
Hi everyone,
I wonder if any of you have views on good areas to live not too far from Halifax. I've been told that some areas are very foggy or 'boondocks' whatever that means. I know that it is horses for courses but nonetheless here goes.

We would like to be reasonably close to an ER because our son has a nut allergy. We dont want to be cut off in snow or stuck in fog. We would like good primary and secondary schools nearby and some shops. We want to be part of a community but would also like to be able to possibly keep a couple of ponies on a few acres.

Yours hopefully,
Fencesitter.
Have a look on the South Shore, try Bridgewater, for that small town feel but still has everything. And if you are looking for room for a pony well you will probably find it there. They have a great hospital and only an hour from Halifax!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:04 pm
Since 010205

l i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nice

Hi Fencesitter

I would have to vote for Fall River - as we are currently buying a house there. We are paying closer to $400k but that's for a home we would ever need to move from - 5 beds 1.3 acres. You can certainly get a great family home for $250-300. You would need to check covenants regarding keeping ponies on the land.

There are all levels of schools nearby (10mins) and all have good reps. School bus runs through Fall River (as most communities).

There is an ER - Cobequid Health Centre (7am to 10pm) around a 5-10 min drive depending on which end you live. There is also a local Sobeys and small strip of essential stores, hairdresser, dentist etc.

Hope this is of help
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:45 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We are 1.5 hours drive north in New Glasgow but have a large hospital in town. Roads are never busy here either so if you lived out of town there will be no bother with traffic queue's, unlike trying to navigate though HRM.

You might be best to check out hospitals before you house hunt. That way you could work out exactly how far 'timewise' you would need to travel in an emergency.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:16 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, we are flying out to Halifax on Thursday, yippeeee.

We have arranged to view some houses in Fall River, Bedford and Colby Village. We liked some of the houses in Hammonds Plains, but want to have a mooch round there first as it looks quite remote for the kids.

Will give an update on our return if you wish. Could PM you if you prefer.

Have been waiting for this trip for so long. We fly up to Gatwick on Wednesday and stay overnight. Thank goodness we are doing that because all the trouble with the roads and railways that we are having at the moment would have been a right pain in the proverbial!

Karen
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:18 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob

We have arranged to view some houses in Fall River, Bedford and Colby Village. We liked some of the houses in Hammonds Plains, but want to have a mooch round there first as it looks quite remote for the kids.

Have been waiting for this trip for so long. We fly up to Gatwick on Wednesday and stay overnight. Thank goodness we are doing that because all the trouble with the roads and railways that we are having at the moment would have been a right pain in the proverbial!

Karen
Perfect timing looking at the weather. We were there a few days back and it was like November the whole time. 80(
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:38 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends who live in Beaverbank, out past Sackville. Seems a nice enough area with facilities reasonably close by (shopping in Sackville for example.) Drive into downtown Halifax about 45mins but probably longer at rush hour.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:57 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Karen
Hope you have a very fruitful trip. Weather looks to be really good this week
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Karen
Kingswood is a nice area and new schools in the area. The properties are all on big lots about an acre because they are on well and septic tank. That isn't a problem though. It is along way for kids to walk to visit friends and to get anywhere so you must be prepared to drive them around to different things. Fall River is similar, the houses are built on large lots but I do believe part of it is serviced by a bus. Fall River is close to Dartmouth and it is easy to get on to a highway. Buying property in Fall River make sure you have a water test down on your well as they do have an arsenic problem due to the gold mining done there years ago. Fall River is an up and coming community...
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:12 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info guys. We have heard good and bad about buying a house with a well, as well as the arsenic thing we have been told that some of the wells are running dry and don't have alot of pressure.

There is so much to take into account, we have a long list of things to look out for (thanks to all you guys and your fountain of knowledge ). I mustn't let my heart rule my head.

Almost all packed now; got to get dog off to kennels, hamsters off to my mate's and key with neighbour.

Karen
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:35 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Corky
Have a look on the South Shore, try Bridgewater, for that small town feel but still has everything. And if you are looking for room for a pony well you will probably find it there. They have a great hospital and only an hour from Halifax!
I really like Bridgewater but it is definitely not an hour from Halifax - even in good weather it would take nearer to 1 hour and 20
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:47 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fencesitter
Hi everyone,

Yours hopefully,
Fencesitter.
There are lots of great areas for families with good schools. Bedford, Fall River, Hammonds Plains, Tantallon (head of St Margarets Bay area) all have subdivisions where you would get a nice house in a nice street with a good-sized lot (over an acre) and probably just about within your budget. Most people here want to live in sub-divisions and they tend to have good schools serving them. Most subdivisions would probably not allow you to have ponies though - they tend to have a lot of restrictive covenents that limit what you can do (and for most people thats the attraction - you know you want get someone doing auto body repairs next door). In many cases you aren't even allowed to have a washing line out (presumably it looks "untidy").

There is probably one exception to the no animals rule which is Voyager Lakes in Hammonds Plains - which is a specifically equestrain development. As well as lots of land you can keep horses/ponies and there are lots of equestrain-related facilities on-site. I've heard its great but I'm not sure on the pricing - I think it might be a bit more expensive than your budget.

Other than Voyager Lakes, you probably need to find something NOT on a subdivision. Areas like Wellington and Grand Lake (north of Fall River) seem to have a lot of horse paddocks and more of a rural feel. Also the Eastern Shore (Lawrencetown area). Both still easily within 1 hour of Halifax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.