Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Land border crossing to the US

Land border crossing to the US

Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land border crossing to the US

My opinion-just take the darn thing out of your passport and bin it-why pay something like $5-$10 to send it off to a special Kentucky landfill? As long as its out of the passport you should be fine. Just my opinion.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dulciusexasperis
Any advice that it 'doesn't matter' or 'don't worry about it' is simply an opinion dg31. Don't just read what you WANT to read.

The US sites make it clear that it CAN be a problem. That is the ONLY fact involved. No one here works for Homeland Security. Phone them and ask what they say you should do. I know what they will tell you. Turn it in, do not ignore it or destroy it.
Agreed. And there is no need to phone them because they tell you exactly what to do right here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...l-have-my-i-94
Old Mar 9th 2014, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
My opinion-just take the darn thing out of your passport and bin it-why pay something like $5-$10 to send it off to a special Kentucky landfill? As long as its out of the passport you should be fine. Just my opinion.
And, in your opinion, it costs $5-$10 to send it from Canada to the US?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 1:45 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
And, in your opinion, it costs $5-$10 to send it from Canada to the US?
2.85 I think from Van .. But suppose you may want to do it recorded?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
This
Old Mar 9th 2014, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Should be fine? Or definitely will be fine? We know it's not 100% certain that there will be no issues if a previous exit wasn't recorded - you only have to read some of the responses on this thread to know that. Whatever the chances of having an issue (be it a visa denial, denied entry, or a delayed entry), why not attempt to mitigate the risk by simply sending the thing to Kentucky as recommended on their own web site?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I guess anyone denied entry or delayed at the border for 4 hours can console themselves that they saved a few bucks on postage!
Old Mar 9th 2014, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Should be fine? Or definitely will be fine? We know it's not 100% certain that there will be no issues if a previous exit wasn't recorded - you only have to read some of the responses on this thread to know that. Whatever the chances of having an issue (be it a visa denial, denied entry, or a delayed entry), why not attempt to mitigate the risk by simply sending the thing to Kentucky as recommended on their own web site?

All of those posters above were a result of them not taking the expired I94 out of their passport
Old Mar 9th 2014, 5:13 pm
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

"The fact that it can be a problem doesn't mean that it will be a problem, or even that it's likely to be a problem."

That's hilarious.

What it means is it CAN be a problem. Basing your actions on anything else is ludicrious. You either risk the problem or you remove the risk. Since removing the risk only requires mailing it in or handing it in, why would anyone choose to risk having a problem?

This is not rocket science, it's simple logic.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"The fact that it can be a problem doesn't mean that it will be a problem, or even that it's likely to be a problem."

That's hilarious.

What it means is it CAN be a problem. Basing your actions on anything else is ludicrious. You either risk the problem or you remove the risk. Since removing the risk only requires mailing it in or handing it in, why would anyone choose to risk having a problem?

This is not rocket science, it's simple logic.

I'm gonna form a middle ground and say this. Always hand in your I94 when departing the United States. If you fail to do so, once it expires, remove it from your passport and destroy it. No need to give the US the satisfaction of following its stupid paranoid procedures and paying to mail it to Kentucky where I doubt it's even looked at. Does Canada make UK citizens visiting as tourists do any of this? I94's, ESTAs? No, because we're not paranoid and we don't think our country is at the top of the world.

Old Mar 9th 2014, 6:53 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I've never sent it back, just removed it ... I did her asked one time "what did you do with the old one"

I told them I sent it back ,they said ok and that was it .
Old Mar 10th 2014, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

All of those posters above were a result of them not taking the expired I94 out of their passport
I know people who had issues even when they did remove it. Remember also that you don't need to send the I-94 to Kentucky if you left the US by commercial airline or cruise ship since departure can already be verified in those cases. Issues can arise if you left by land or a private vessel (plane or boat) and the I-94 wasn't returned. Like everything else when it comes to immigration issues, much depends on who you're dealing with and what sort of mood they are in. Everyone can determine whatever level of risk they are comfortable with and act accordingly but when the mitigation is as simple as mailing something it does seem a bit silly to avoid doing that.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 10th 2014 at 3:42 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:37 am
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

I used to have a next door neighbour who worked for Canada Border Services. Some of the stories he told me would be hilarious if they were not real. Like that old saying about 'you couldn't make it up.'

Imagine, you drive up to the border to enter the USA. You get an Agent whose wife just cut him off sex and his boss just told him he had an attitude problem and his evaluation for the year was going to reflect that and he wasn't getting a raise.

He scans your passport, the computer flags up you didn't turn in an I-94 from a year ago.

Four hours later, having had your car searched, your luggage emptied out and left for you to re-pack, having been taken inside and given a full body (including cavity) search as a suspected drug mule, you finally get let go and allowed to enter the USA.

You drive away and turn to your wife and say, 'See, I knew we could just throw the I-94 away.' No problem. Uh huh.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I used to have a next door neighbour who worked for Canada Border Services. Some of the stories he told me would be hilarious if they were not real. Like that old saying about 'you couldn't make it up.'

Imagine, you drive up to the border to enter the USA. You get an Agent whose wife just cut him off sex and his boss just told him he had an attitude problem and his evaluation for the year was going to reflect that and he wasn't getting a raise.

He scans your passport, the computer flags up you didn't turn in an I-94 from a year ago.

Four hours later, having had your car searched, your luggage emptied out and left for you to re-pack, having been taken inside and given a full body (including cavity) search as a suspected drug mule, you finally get let go and allowed to enter the USA.

You drive away and turn to your wife and say, 'See, I knew we could just throw the I-94 away.' No problem. Uh huh.
Typical American power/paranoia struggle / grumpy officers. What happened to the saying "leave your problems at the door when you come into work" ?

Like I said, does Canada do this to UK citizens?
Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:15 am
Just Joined

diamondsduke is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if I may be fully answering your question, 'does Canada, do this to UK citizens'?. My experience basically, I went via the megabus from New York to Canada in 2010. Everyone had to come out the bus go inside, line up. They looked at my passport, asked me how long I was staying there, told them. That was it. I cannot really remember if I had the I-94 or not probably took out. lol

I don't know if it has changed since. Thus far (knock wood an old saying) I haven't had any problems with Canada. My thing is exactly what they ask you answer, nothing more, straight to the point. However, I did notice other passengers had a hard time where they, questioned them a lot, or when they feel ready to deal with you they did. I didn't get a good glimpse of their passport to know which country they were from. As I have been told too, it all depends on the officer you get if they had a bad day, I cannot say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.