Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Land border crossing to the US

Land border crossing to the US

Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all
Default Land border crossing to the US

I went with some friends to Boston in December for the Patriots/Browns NFL game and we drove (long trip!) On our return to Canada I was asked if I wanted to retain the form allowing me to re-enter, which I did as I had talked to another friend about possibly heading to Buffalo to watch a hockey game.

As it happened we didn't get to go and now the re-entry date has been and gone unused.

Is it likely to be a problem for future trips to the US that this is still in my passport?

Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dryden - in the bit of Ontario that everyone forgets about.
rob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Land border crossing to the US

If you're talking about the green I94W form, it shouldn't be an issue.
We cross at a land border now and again, usually after the 90 day visa period has expired. This means we have to go in, fill out new forms and have fresh photos and prints taken. Oh, and pay some more money.....
Never been an issue though.
We just leave it in the passport for the US customs people to remove/replace as required.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all

Ok, thanks. I'm flying to Vegas in the summer for a holiday and REALLY don't want to be turned away at the airport!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

rob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of light

Whenever we've flown via a US airport, the US customs people are surprised to see the green slip in our passports as they don't use them any more at airports and informed me they were no longer required - but they still insist on them at the land crossing.
A bit confusing but we just go with it and nod politely at the men (and women) with the guns.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Read this:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...l-have-my-i-94

If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States to:

DHS - CBP SBU

1084 South Laurel Road

London, KY 40744

USA

Do not mail your Form I-94 Departure Record or supporting information to any U.S. Consulate or Embassy, to any other CBP Office in the United States, or to any address other than the one above. Only at this location are we able to make the necessary corrections to CBP records to prevent inconvenience to you in the future. The London, Kentucky office does not answer correspondence, so please do not ask for confirmation that your record has been updated.

Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dg31
Ok, thanks. I'm flying to Vegas in the summer for a holiday and REALLY don't want to be turned away at the airport!
If you are flying into the USA the I-94 you use at land crossing doesnt apply,you must apply for Electronic System for Travel Authorization or ESTA.You can do it online yourself with credit card or best to check with your travel agent or airline.You wont get on the plane without it.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I have a valid ESTA so that's not a problem. I just wasn't sure if still having the expired I-94 would be.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I have a valid ESTA so that's not a problem. I just wasn't sure if still having the expired I-94 would be.
It might be. See my post above.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...62&postcount=5
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just remove it and destroy it. Having it in your passport might cause a USCBP officer to chastise you about not handing it in or sending it back to the address.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Ok no problem.I would mail it as suggested or you can drop it off at the US customs office at Toronto airport but yeah dont have it with you when you travel to Sin City.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
But that address is KY is really just a giant landfill site, isn't it? Do you mean to tell us there are actual people there who pay attention to the little bits of green paper that arrive in the mail?

I have lost count of the number of expired I94Ws I've removed from my passport and discarded. I have never, nor have I heard of anyone who has ever, had a difficulty at the US border because of an unsurrendered I94W.

I'm sure it would be different if one needed an actual visa. But the visa waiver stub? Seriously?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Ok no problem.I would mail it as suggested or you can drop it off at the US customs office at Toronto airport but yeah dont have it with you when you travel to Sin City.
Never had any issues myself - but maybe we were lucky.
What has annoyed me in the past is even if it was still within the 90 days, they would remove it at the airport so I would have to get a new one again at my next land crossing.

Citizenship will cure this issue but that's still a while away...
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rob28
Never had any issues myself - but maybe we were lucky.
What has annoyed me in the past is even if it was still within the 90 days, they would remove it at the airport so I would have to get a new one again at my next land crossing.

Citizenship will cure this issue but that's still a while away...
Tell them not to as its still valid and you will be using it again and if you don't send it back to the landfill site address in Kentucky or shred it at work.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
But that address is KY is really just a giant landfill site, isn't it? Do you mean to tell us there are actual people there who pay attention to the little bits of green paper that arrive in the mail?

I have lost count of the number of expired I94Ws I've removed from my passport and discarded. I have never, nor have I heard of anyone who has ever, had a difficulty at the US border because of an unsurrendered I94W.

I'm sure it would be different if one needed an actual visa. But the visa waiver stub? Seriously?
Whether you have an issue or not depends on who you encounter and what type of mood they are in. You might not have a problem. Or you might have a problem.

http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/cbp/i94.html

"Sometimes due to an oversight the card is not removed. If this occurs, the passenger's departure from the United States will not be registered with the CBP. If this happens, the next time you apply to enter the United States, your visa may be subject to cancellation and/or you may be denied entry into the United States. Therefore, visitors must ensure that they surrender the I-94 or I-94W stub to the transport carrier before they depart the United States."
Old Mar 7th 2014, 5:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Then you need to search the web, plenty of stories of people running into trouble for supposed overstays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.