Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kitchener - Neighborhoods & Schools

Kitchener - Neighborhoods & Schools

Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kitchener - Neighborhoods & Schools

Originally Posted by HarryHeck
Hehe it's true that the Kitchener (in fact, the whole KW area) contains a healthier-than-normal percentage of our Teutonic cousins...personally, I can't fault a town that is recognised for hosting a vaguely credible Oktoberfest clone
It's a shame Lulu's has gone, a former K Mart store, at one time it claimed the longest stand up bar in the world. It got quite busy at Oktoberfest. There's also the Christmas market with skating and gluhwein, not a patch on the one in Belfast, or so I hear, but nice enough. I'm not knocking Kitchener, though I will on demand, but since it's not commutable to Hamilton, wondering what features attracted and might be available elsewhere.

I also quite liked the mennonite towns around the area...
I enjoy the horse auctions and summer sausage without thinking their beliefs or animal "care" defensible.

From our limited experience, the general populace are well-behaved(!), schooling is good (according to a couple we know who are about to send their daughter to school), there's enough shopping places around (our first recce introduced us to the fabled British Store...my wife and I spent a good 20 minutes laughing at the extortionate prices...before realising that we'd most likely be keeping the store owner in business by the end of our first month ) and one of said friends runs a bar there so we're sorted for a watering hole.
All of which is fair enough but none of which distinguishes Kitchener from the other southern Ontario towns such as Orangeville, Cambridge or Brantford.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

SCORPION is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to Kitchener last July, and my daughter (8) loves it. I was a bit skeptical at first but I am a true convert now. we live at the KW border and my daughter attends a school in waterloo. Ther's lots to do here - for kids, at a cost of course but at least the options do exist. However, we still dont have a family doctor (GP). hope this helps.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I can't fault a town that is recognised for hosting a vaguely credible Oktoberfest clone

You can't have been then.

Sponsored by Molston, so only Molston Canadian beer available in plastic glasses (YUK)
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I still can't understand why Kitchener and not Burlington?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Howard Morris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeterF
I still can't understand why Kitchener and not Burlington?
Is Burlington better?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard Morris
Is Burlington better?
It's more expensive but nearer to Hamilton. We've been around this before on this board but it seems to me that it would be bizarre to live in Burlington and commute to Hamilton. Burlington's a suburb of Toronto, part of the dormitory sprawl, it's cheaper than Oakville but similar so people live there and put up with the longer commute. If you don't have to commute to Toronto then you have more choices, places that either have merit or offer the same features as Burlington at a lower cost; Kitchener, Cambridge, Grimsby, etc.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's more expensive but nearer to Hamilton. We've been around this before on this board but it seems to me that it would be bizarre to live in Burlington and commute to Hamilton. Burlington's a suburb of Toronto, part of the dormitory sprawl, it's cheaper than Oakville but similar so people live there and put up with the longer commute. If you don't have to commute to Toronto then you have more choices, places that either have merit or offer the same features as Burlington at a lower cost; Kitchener, Cambridge, Grimsby, etc.
But is it cheaper in the long run, longer driving means higher cost for fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle.

Also as I mentioned and was swept under the carpet is the winter driving. 6 months of the year is winter with the additional hazards, delays, etc.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

But is it cheaper in the long run, longer driving means higher cost for fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle.
Living in Burlington and commuting to Hamilton would be cheaper than living in Kitchener and doing the same but, for the same distance, why not live in Grimsby or Ancaster?

Also as I mentioned and was swept under the carpet is the winter driving. 6 months of the year is winter with the additional hazards, delays, etc.
I don't think there are more delays in winter, I think drizzle is the worst condition for traffic speed and that's not specifically a winter thing. Wind isn't good either so a location involving commuting over the Burlington Skyway wouldn't be my choice.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Howard Morris is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, thanks for your help everybody. Lots of different opinions I see. I'll just figure it out when I get there.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really nice

Hi Howard,

I live in the Chicopee area of Kitchener, which is a really nice neighbourhood. It is a new sub division, so the houses are in the region of brand new to about 5 to 7 years old.

A new school has just been built and opened within the Chicopee area which is a Catholic school as well, and from what my neighbours say who have kids going there, it is a great school. It was opened in Sept 2010 and the website is:

http://pjp.wcdsb.ca/

Hope this helps

Thanks

Jaffa

Originally Posted by Howard Morris
OK,

Visas are in passport, cash is in bank and the Morris family are now less than two weeks from landing in Canada! Hurrah!

I already have a job (just doing a transfer with the Canadian division of my existing employer) set up - in Hamilton, but we're wanting to live in Kitchener.

Anybody give me any advise on a good neighborhood? Six year old kid so needing a good school too - pref Catholic school system.

Very grateful for any advice!

Howard
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Bells1424 will become famous soon enoughBells1424 will become famous soon enough

Take a look at Ancaster, Grimsby...............
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaffa0007
Hi Howard,

I live in the Chicopee area of Kitchener, which is a really nice neighbourhood. It is a new sub division, so the houses are in the region of brand new to about 5 to 7 years old.
It sounds like hell on earth.

To the OP: why would you consider such a place and then add the misery of a long commute to Hamilton?

There are some nice parts of Hamilton.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really nice

Wow Novocastrian,

I am not sure if this is a joke (if it is, then haha very funny, you got me!), or if you are being serious, then you are entitled to your opinion, I am sure if it was 'hell on earth', I am sure that's why Waterloo has two of the best known universities in the world, has excellent job oppurtunties within the financial and IT sector, and nearly 250,000 people live here....which much make them 'hell-lites'!

Over to you, Novocastrian

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It sounds like hell on earth.

To the OP: why would you consider such a place and then add the misery of a long commute to Hamilton?

There are some nice parts of Hamilton.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jaffa0007
Wow Novocastrian,

I am not sure if this is a joke (if it is, then haha very funny, you got me!), or if you are being serious, then you are entitled to your opinion, I am sure if it was 'hell on earth', I am sure that's why Waterloo has two of the best known universities in the world, has excellent job oppurtunties within the financial and IT sector, and nearly 250,000 people live here....which much make them 'hell-lites'!

Over to you, Novocastrian
I can't speak for Novo, but when I initially read this:

"It is a new sub division, so the houses are in the region of brand new to about 5 to 7 years old."

Knowing that it was in Kitchener I thought, "Poor you, I hope that never happens to me."
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

m4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nice

Hi Howard,
I work in Kitchener-Waterloo and live in Hamilton but on the mountain. The commute is 70 minutes on a good day with clear run and I would imagine its a lot worse going from Kitchener to Hamilton due to the Toronto traffic. (by the way - gas costs me about $55 per week for a VW Golf)

It's worth looking at housing on Hamilton mountain and in Dundas/Ancaster - although Ancaster is very expensive. Hamilton city itself is comparable to somewhere like Sheffield in the UK - old steel city trying to recover but the mountain is a lot better with good amenities.

hope this helps.
Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.