Reload this Page >

Kitchener - Neighborhoods & Schools

Kitchener - Neighborhoods & Schools

Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Howard Morris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kitchener - Neighborhoods & Schools

OK,

Visas are in passport, cash is in bank and the Morris family are now less than two weeks from landing in Canada! Hurrah!

I already have a job (just doing a transfer with the Canadian division of my existing employer) set up - in Hamilton, but we're wanting to live in Kitchener.

Anybody give me any advise on a good neighborhood? Six year old kid so needing a good school too - pref Catholic school system.

Very grateful for any advice!

Howard
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of
Default Re: Kitchener - Neighborhoods & Schools

Originally Posted by Howard Morris
OK,

Visas are in passport, cash is in bank and the Morris family are now less than two weeks from landing in Canada! Hurrah!

I already have a job (just doing a transfer with the Canadian division of my existing employer) set up - in Hamilton, but we're wanting to live in Kitchener.

Anybody give me any advise on a good neighborhood? Six year old kid so needing a good school too - pref Catholic school system.

Very grateful for any advice!

Howard

Hi Howard

We live in Waterloo. The website for catholic schools in the region is: http://www.wcdsb.ca/ Do you realize your commute to Hamilton will be 75 mins each way? That can be a busy road at rush hour!

I don't know Kitchener too well but we have been impressed by the catholic schools in Waterloo!

Best of luck!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:31 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Any particular reason why you don't want to live in Hamilton? I only ask because I have friends who moved there and it's got quite a nice community (allegedly)
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

jambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to all

If you are in normal working hours (9-5ish)that 75kms one way commute is going to get old real fast.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jambo101
If you are in normal working hours (9-5ish)that 75kms one way commute is going to get old real fast.
Yoiks! I'd guessed it would be closer to 45mins!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Any particular reason why you don't want to live in Hamilton? I only ask because I have friends who moved there and it's got quite a nice community (allegedly)
I'd just heard that Hamilton was a bit industrial/run down. But I'm certainly open to taking a good look.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hollis Family
Hi Howard

We live in Waterloo. The website for catholic schools in the region is: http://www.wcdsb.ca/ Do you realize your commute to Hamilton will be 75 mins each way? That can be a busy road at rush hour!

I don't know Kitchener too well but we have been impressed by the catholic schools in Waterloo!

Best of luck!
Thanks. I actually have another Brit friend who lives in Waterloo. She loves it there. I hadn't realised it was 75 mins to Hamilton from Kitchener. That's a bit of a trek.

Thanks for the school link!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:57 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I actually have another Brit friend who lives in Waterloo. She loves it there. I hadn't realised it was 75 mins to Hamilton from Kitchener. That's a bit of a trek.

Thanks for the school link!
From centre of Kitchener to downtown Hamilton in optimum conditions should be about 55 minutes. However if you drive like a Brit in a small Japanese car your 45 minutes guess would be just about right.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just heard that Hamilton was a bit industrial/run down. But I'm certainly open to taking a good look.
It is dominated by steel mills and associated businesses so it has that rust belt post-industrial feel. Watch The Deer Hunter for an idea. That said, industrial towns all have the bit where the factory bosses live, the mountain, Ancaster, some other parts are very affluent. Actually, not the Deer Hunter, the opening credits of The Sopranos; that could be Hamilton.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Waterloo and yes the area is very good, also Hamilton does have a Steel Town reputation.

I would have thought Burlington or Oakville would be closer areas and supposedly quite good too.

Hell of a treck, we used to pop down to Ikea a few times, long journey and not good during winter which you should take in to consideration.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:49 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It is dominated by steel mills and associated businesses so it has that rust belt post-industrial feel. Watch The Deer Hunter for an idea. That said, industrial towns all have the bit where the factory bosses live, the mountain, Ancaster, some other parts are very affluent. Actually, not the Deer Hunter, the opening credits of The Sopranos; that could be Hamilton.
Yes, there is a nice area to Hamilton or so I've been told. Just like not all of Vancouver is narcissistic lululemon-wearing lemmings or full of rabid junkies
Old Mar 7th 2011, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Yes, there is a nice area to Hamilton or so I've been told. Just like not all of Vancouver is narcissistic lululemon-wearing lemmings or full of rabid junkies
Hamilton's certainly a distinctive choice of place to live, "second most surviving Victorian buildings in North America" or something. Very mixed. Kitchener otoh, though? Unless you're a German speaking family or a Mennonite, I can't see any particular reason to choose Kitchener. Perhaps the OP could tell us what attracts about that town.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Hamilton's certainly a distinctive choice of place to live, "second most surviving Victorian buildings in North America" or something. Very mixed. Kitchener otoh, though? Unless you're a German speaking family or a Mennonite, I can't see any particular reason to choose Kitchener. Perhaps the OP could tell us what attracts about that town.
I'm not sure what attracts me to that town as I have yet to visit it. For the time being I am arbitrarily putting pins in maps.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:44 pm
Sean Bean's Unknown Twin!

HarryHeck is a name known to allHarryHeck is a name known to allHarryHeck is a name known to allHarryHeck is a name known to allHarryHeck is a name known to allHarryHeck is a name known to allHarryHeck is a name known to allHarryHeck is a name known to allHarryHeck is a name known to allHarryHeck is a name known to allHarryHeck is a name known to all

Hehe it's true that the Kitchener (in fact, the whole KW area) contains a healthier-than-normal percentage of our Teutonic cousins...personally, I can't fault a town that is recognised for hosting a vaguely credible Oktoberfest clone I also quite liked the mennonite towns around the area...St.Jacobs was nice from memory, but that may be because it was sweltering hot both times we visited. We're not blind to the fact that the weather will royally suck in Canada for most of the year, but it was nice to be around to experience the hotter climes!

I've got a few friends who live on the suburbs of Kitchener and it's been our base of operations for the two recce trips we've done. Personally, we like the area - so much so that we're thinking of moving somewhere in the KW area if/when we get PR.

From our limited experience, the general populace are well-behaved(!), schooling is good (according to a couple we know who are about to send their daughter to school), there's enough shopping places around (our first recce introduced us to the fabled British Store...my wife and I spent a good 20 minutes laughing at the extortionate prices...before realising that we'd most likely be keeping the store owner in business by the end of our first month ) and one of said friends runs a bar there so we're sorted for a watering hole.

I know that the majority of our 'experiences' are essentially holiday or hearsay at the moment, but it made enough of an impression to make us consider leaving the UK. I'm sure there's loads of better places in a country so vast, but as far as I'm concerned it can't be a bad place to start...
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HarryHeck
Hehe it's true that the Kitchener (in fact, the whole KW area) contains a healthier-than-normal percentage of our Teutonic cousins...personally, I can't fault a town that is recognised for hosting a vaguely credible Oktoberfest clone I also quite liked the mennonite towns around the area...St.Jacobs was nice from memory, but that may be because it was sweltering hot both times we visited. We're not blind to the fact that the weather will royally suck in Canada for most of the year, but it was nice to be around to experience the hotter climes!

I've got a few friends who live on the suburbs of Kitchener and it's been our base of operations for the two recce trips we've done. Personally, we like the area - so much so that we're thinking of moving somewhere in the KW area if/when we get PR.

From our limited experience, the general populace are well-behaved(!), schooling is good (according to a couple we know who are about to send their daughter to school), there's enough shopping places around (our first recce introduced us to the fabled British Store...my wife and I spent a good 20 minutes laughing at the extortionate prices...before realising that we'd most likely be keeping the store owner in business by the end of our first month ) and one of said friends runs a bar there so we're sorted for a watering hole.

I know that the majority of our 'experiences' are essentially holiday or hearsay at the moment, but it made enough of an impression to make us consider leaving the UK. I'm sure there's loads of better places in a country so vast, but as far as I'm concerned it can't be a bad place to start...
Thank you Harry. That's some good feedback.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.