Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

kids football in ontario

kids football in ontario

Old Feb 18th 2007, 8:55 am
Just Joined

jax147 has a brilliant futurejax147 has a brilliant futurejax147 has a brilliant futurejax147 has a brilliant futurejax147 has a brilliant futurejax147 has a brilliant future
Question kids football in ontario

hi, i coach a kids football team here in the uk. Does anyone know anything about junior soccer in ontario, as i'm hoping to go there this year. How long does the season last, do they play on astroturf during winter, is it easy to start a team, is it a up and coming sport over there. ?
cheers
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids football in ontario

Originally Posted by jax147
hi, i coach a kids football team here in the uk. Does anyone know anything about junior soccer in ontario, as i'm hoping to go there this year. How long does the season last, do they play on astroturf during winter, is it easy to start a team, is it a up and coming sport over there. ?
cheers
Hi jax

Here is the link for the Canadian Soccer association

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/index.asp

There is a section on Mini Football - which i presume is like the Junior as we know it over here.

Best of Luck

Gaynor
x
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Buck Hunter is a jewel in the roughBuck Hunter is a jewel in the roughBuck Hunter is a jewel in the roughBuck Hunter is a jewel in the roughBuck Hunter is a jewel in the rough

Here is a good site for you to check out - www.soccer.on.ca This breaks it down in the player section into club, regional and provincial - just helps give you a feel of the overall structure of the youth game here in Canada.

Also, if you're panning to coach check out the technical clinics in the coach's section, as you may want to work towards your Community Coach Certificate once you're here. If so, I suggest you get some sort of letter from your team/club recognizing the years you have put into coaching, you'll need that to speed up any certification. The game isn't as advanced here, but it is growing at the youth level and more and more qualified coaches are getting involved.

The outdoor season is in the summer and is pretty short in comparison to an English regular season, and at the young level you have all crazy rules like no off-side and kicks-ins, etc. But indoor seasons are popular and are run well with many impressive arenas in Ontario.

Hope any of that helps.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

jax147 has a brilliant futurejax147 has a brilliant futurejax147 has a brilliant futurejax147 has a brilliant futurejax147 has a brilliant futurejax147 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: kids football in ontario

thanks gaynor. I picked up a lot uf useful info like, they don't play at wekends and they play at 7.00pm in the evening, weird. It will take getting used to but it will help my son with the resettlement experience.
cheers
jeff
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

thanks gaynor. I picked up a lot uf useful info like, they don't play at wekends and they play at 7.00pm in the evening, weird. It will take getting used to but it will help my son with the resettlement experience.
cheers
jeff

Hi Jeff

We are also hoping that joining a soccer club will be good for our 10 year old lad - he cant wait as the boys at the club where we will be living thought he was "awesome" at soccer !!!! Had a big head by the time we came home

Come to think of it the game hubby and son went to see was at 7pm during the week too - never noticed that until you mentioned it
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Buck, i will take your advice. One thing i have learnt form all these threads is ,it pays to be prepared.
jeff
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gaynor
if someone said you were awesome, i bet your head would swell a little. i know mine would. The good thing about a night kick off is that we don't have to get up on a saturday morning with a hangover to watch our boys.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gaynor
if someone said you were awesome, i bet your head would swell a little. i know mine would. The good thing about a night kick off is that we don't have to get up on a saturday morning with a hangover to watch our boys.
The bad thing is the mosquitos will be out in force
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

that's a very good point. See, i didn't even think about that.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 4:14 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Strange, Thoughts.

We play games weekends (8am - 9pm ko ), & Week days (6pm -9pm ko). We practice outdoors at weekends in summer, School nights (8pm-10pm u14G) currently.
If you are only playing Rec you may get away with 1 practice a week but if you intend playing premier you'll need to schedule in at least 2.

Ontario, BC Alberta and Quebec are the power house provinces but all the other provinces are coming along with their programs and funding now so good time for all.

I also remember provincial practises for u16 where 9:10 to 11:10 Friday nights a couple of years ago. Got to remember people are used to 5:30 am hockey practises so.

Indoors is a mixture of Carpet and Field turf here. Boards are used only for rec level, premier players learn to control the ball quicker. So have to start placing the pass better.