Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kids in Business Class

Kids in Business Class

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all
Default Kids in Business Class

Hi all

Managed to upgrade our flight using points to business class from Hong Kong to Vancouver. Should make the world of difference being 12 hours and leaving at 430pm, great potential for sleep on the flat beds.

I am someone who always watches for other passengers and do my best to make sure my kids are well behaved (I've been told not to worry about what the others think, but that's not me). They wouldn't ever get up and run up and down the aisle or anything but I'm concerned that the others in business class, with an occasional crying, or laughing loudly 4 & 6 year old, will send us the dagger looks and comments that make the trip more uncomfortable for everyone.

Whats your experience and tolerance for kids on planes? Any tips for a long haul flight?

Last flight I took with them was 5 hours and they quietly watched tv pretty much the whole time. 12 hours may be different though (although hoping they sleep).

2 weeks until we leave
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids in Business Class

My opinion sometimes with kids on flights is they should go in the cargo hold with the dogs and cats

Joking aside there will be those who will complain about kids as they feel because they are in business class they might be disturbed as because of THEIR feelings of importance in stature ie flying Business Class then its all about THEM.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Whats your experience and tolerance for kids on planes? Any tips for a long haul flight?
I drugged mine and would appreciate the same consideration from others.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
My opinion sometimes with kids on flights is they should go in the cargo hold with the dogs and cats

Joking aside there will be those who will complain about kids as they feel because they are in business class they might be disturbed as because of THEIR feelings of importance in stature ie flying Business Class then its all about THEM.
Nevermind Business Class. People who can only afford to fly cattle class do not deserve to have children, nor for that matter, fat adults, inflicted upon them.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Nevermind Business Class. People who can only afford to fly cattle class do not deserve to have children, nor for that matter, fat adults, inflicted upon them.
Im guessing you have never flown with Sunwing or Transat then.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Im guessing you have never flown with Sunwing or Transat then.
Transat to/from London a few times but it was a KLM flight that was the worst. Someone brought a baby. Babies aren't suitable for transportation in the cabin of aeroplanes. I once sat next to a loose dog on a flight, that was less hassle than the baby.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:04 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Kids fly business and or first if there parents or grandparents can afford it
and if they can afford it they tend not to give a sh1t about the self import business class user who's companies paying..
It worth noting than when I’ve seen people travelling in the expensive seats on on there own time, they’re often carrying the top end loyalty “gold” cards too, so they’re more than just regular travellers and the in flight crew will know that too..
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:09 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Kids in Business Class

Any regular business traveller will almost certainly have the Bose, Sennheiser (sp?) or similar noise cancelling headphones (some airlines even provide them in Biz class for their passengers).

I bought some for my husband (the Bose ones) and when I travel on my own long-haul I use them. They're wonderful
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Any regular business traveller will almost certainly have the Bose, Sennheiser (sp?) or similar noise cancelling headphones (some airlines even provide them in Biz class for their passengers).

I bought some for my husband (the Bose ones) and when I travel on my own long-haul I use them. They're wonderful
But they don't stop kids running around and spilling drinks onto your laptop
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:26 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

We flew business class the first time we came over. Our kids were nearly 2 and 6 respectively at the time. Ours was pretty much an evening/night flight too and, yes, they did sleep for much of it and, like you say, the rest of the time they were happy to watch TV etc. We took lots of paper, pens, colouring books etc too to help amuse them. Like you, we would never have let them run about or be generally disruptive and I certainly don't remember any disapproving looks from other passengers.

We've just come back from the UK after visiting over Easter. My kids are 7 and 11 now. We weren't in business class this time but they spent the whole flight watching TV and playing computer games, no bother at all I'm glad to say.

Hi all

Managed to upgrade our flight using points to business class from Hong Kong to Vancouver. Should make the world of difference being 12 hours and leaving at 430pm, great potential for sleep on the flat beds.

I am someone who always watches for other passengers and do my best to make sure my kids are well behaved (I've been told not to worry about what the others think, but that's not me). They wouldn't ever get up and run up and down the aisle or anything but I'm concerned that the others in business class, with an occasional crying, or laughing loudly 4 & 6 year old, will send us the dagger looks and comments that make the trip more uncomfortable for everyone.

Last flight I took with them was 5 hours and they quietly watched tv pretty much the whole time. 12 hours may be different though (although hoping they sleep).

2 weeks until we leave
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:40 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Kids fly business and or first if there parents or grandparents can afford it
and if they can afford it they tend not to give a sh1t about the self import business class user who's companies paying..
It worth noting than when I’ve seen people travelling in the expensive seats on on there own time, they’re often carrying the top end loyalty “gold” cards too, so they’re more than just regular travellers and the in flight crew will know that too..
Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing that.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm concerned that the others in business class, with an occasional crying, or laughing loudly 4 & 6 year old, will send us the dagger looks
Isn't 4 a bit young to be doing an MBA?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

But they don't stop kids running around and spilling drinks onto your laptop
Just make sure you sit next to a Scottish family. No self-respecting Scottish kid would spill their drink.... (They are however, far more likely to disregard the No Smoking rules...)
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Thanks everyone, eased my mind a bit.
I must admit I was a bit concerned about possible replies when posting it.
But the BE humour shines through once again.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheThornes
We flew business class the first time we came over. Our kids were nearly 2 and 6 respectively at the time. Ours was pretty much an evening/night flight too and, yes, they did sleep for much of it and, like you say, the rest of the time they were happy to watch TV etc. We took lots of paper, pens, colouring books etc too to help amuse them. Like you, we would never have let them run about or be generally disruptive and I certainly don't remember any disapproving looks from other passengers.

We've just come back from the UK after visiting over Easter. My kids are 7 and 11 now. We weren't in business class this time but they spent the whole flight watching TV and playing computer games, no bother at all I'm glad to say.

Great to hear of a similar experience, thanks. I've actually booked seats online and managed to get a row where people aren't in front or behind, so hopefully everyone can rest on the flight!

Probably worrying about nothing though, got better and more serious things to worry about ... like how will I wean my kids off vegemite without withdrawals? That is nasty stuff and it churns my stomach to watch them eat it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.