Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kids in Business Class

Kids in Business Class

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:12 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids in Business Class

Never had Vegemite myself; is it anything similar to Marmite? My son is a bit of a Marmite addict and barely a day goes by without him having it in some form or another.

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Great to hear of a similar experience, thanks. I've actually booked seats online and managed to get a row where people aren't in front or behind, so hopefully everyone can rest on the flight!

Probably worrying about nothing though, got better and more serious things to worry about ... like how will I wean my kids off vegemite without withdrawals? That is nasty stuff and it churns my stomach to watch them eat it!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

MrsL22 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Hi all

Managed to upgrade our flight using points to business class from Hong Kong to Vancouver. Should make the world of difference being 12 hours and leaving at 430pm, great potential for sleep on the flat beds.

I am someone who always watches for other passengers and do my best to make sure my kids are well behaved (I've been told not to worry about what the others think, but that's not me). They wouldn't ever get up and run up and down the aisle or anything but I'm concerned that the others in business class, with an occasional crying, or laughing loudly 4 & 6 year old, will send us the dagger looks and comments that make the trip more uncomfortable for everyone.

Whats your experience and tolerance for kids on planes? Any tips for a long haul flight?

Last flight I took with them was 5 hours and they quietly watched tv pretty much the whole time. 12 hours may be different though (although hoping they sleep).

2 weeks until we leave
I don't have kids yet myself, but I fly regularly in business and have experienced kids in there twice - without any problems.

The first one was (i'm guessing) I think about 3... and you could hear her playing with a toy for an hour or so but nobody seemed bothered.

The other was (guessing again) a family with 2 between about 6 and 10... again no problems.

The only time I've seen passengers get rolly eyes was when there was (guessing again) a 1-2 year old in economy in the first row who screamed the entire 11 hour flight, and kept running into the exec cabin. Less than ideal for everyone (not just business class).

I'm sure you'll be fine, it's not an adult only plane and people have to appreciate that.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:58 pm
ck1
Forum Regular

ck1 has a spectacular aura aboutck1 has a spectacular aura aboutck1 has a spectacular aura about

I hate it when:

1) people walk into the exec cabin from cattle class holding their screaming kid and walk up and down the aisle with them.

2) people from cattle class come into the exec cabin and queue up for the bog instead of using the bog in their section.

3) miserable French Canadian AC staff....older and unionized probably

All for around $4k a ticket (non flexible)

Apart from that, the actual few kids I've seen in business class (AC exec First) have always been well behaved.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

We flew business class with our son Manchester to LA a couple of years ago - he was 8 at the time. He was no bother at all - he spent the whole time watching movies and adjusting his seat, eating ice cream and generally loving the whole experience.

The thing to remember about business class is that you have such a lot of space compared with economy, so a child who is generally well behaved will not get in any other passengers' way anyway. And there is better entertainment too, so they are less likely to get bored and grumpy.

The worst bit for our son, whatever class we fly, is the descent - he gets really sore ears even now aged 10, and it often makes him cry. He doesn't scream like a baby, but he does get upset. So we just make sure we are prepared with a load of sweets to suck and gum to chew. But even then I don't think he really causes much inconvenience to anyone else.