Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:20 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
Curiosity, did they actually give you a temporary paper licence, before they sorted out the paperwork.
Cheers
Jerry
No, nothing, just a refusal and offer to take the theory test there and then (which I'd already taken and passed previously).
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi rich
Thanks for the reply, I suppose as someone previously suggested, the best bet is to try another office, if you can.
cheers
Jerry
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Cruella32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone gone in and done it in the Victoria BC ICBC office?
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:14 am
Just Joined

san40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant future

ICBC in Downtown Vancouver have my british License, i failed the road test twice so how do i ask for a swap? They do not swap over in BC i have been here 2 yrs.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:27 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by san40
ICBC in Downtown Vancouver have my british License, i failed the road test twice so how do i ask for a swap? They do not swap over in BC i have been here 2 yrs.
If you've failed the test, you are (quite rightly) out of luck, they'll keep it till you pass.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

I rang our local office of ICBC/Coast Capital yesterday to check this new rule out.

I said "I have previously failed my theory as I had 11 wrong instead of 10, can I still come in and swap my license over?".

Reply "Yes - just bring your ID's, proof of residence etc and we'll swap it over. To be honest I really don't understand why the mainland UK wasn't allowed to swap because Japan can and that seems mad!"

So I hope when I go in they allow me to do the straight swap without any questions - I am going down in a minute so will let you know.

Thanks
N
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
Hi

I rang our local office of ICBC/Coast Capital yesterday to check this new rule out.

I said "I have previously failed my theory as I had 11 wrong instead of 10, can I still come in and swap my license over?".

Reply "Yes - just bring your ID's, proof of residence etc and we'll swap it over. To be honest I really don't understand why the mainland UK wasn't allowed to swap because Japan can and that seems mad!"

So I hope when I go in they allow me to do the straight swap without any questions - I am going down in a minute so will let you know.

Thanks
N
I'm surprised at this. You've proved yourself not knowledgeable enough to drive and yet they'll still do the swap
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:37 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
No, nothing, just a refusal and offer to take the theory test there and then (which I'd already taken and passed previously).
Try going to another office- when Hubby went to Burnaby yesterday he was the fist brit to ask for the Bike licence swap - he has the driving licence here - they just did it!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:41 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm surprised at this. You've proved yourself not knowledgeable enough to drive and yet they'll still do the swap
The whole things seems f****d up.

I passed the bike theory test over a year ago (so it's expired). Someone that's never attempted the test can walk in a pick up a licence without any testing.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:43 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Try going to another office- when Hubby went to Burnaby yesterday he was the fist brit to ask for the Bike licence swap - he has the driving licence here - they just did it!
2 offices here and I've tried both with no luck, despite the fact they've been through the process with other Brits. I've given up trying to battle the inconsistent bureaucratic BS.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:50 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
2 offices here and I've tried both with no luck, despite the fact they've been through the process with other Brits. I've given up trying to battle the inconsistent bureaucratic BS.
Bugger - maybe if you are up in the smoke sometime in the summer you could try one of the offices here!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It`s official then, they can`t drive
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Really - and you are so knowledgable that you deem fit to cast dispersions like that? I don't think it proves you knowledgeable or not. There are plenty of people with licenses that don't have a flipping clue!

Actually because I was doing the test on paper - I had circled at least 4 of the ones I got wrong, as the right answer and then second guessed myself, rubbed them out and changed it at the last minute. What if you are easily stressed?....its easily done.

So your "not knowledgeable" comment you can shove it where the sun don't shine!

I've just come back from the ICBC office with my temporary BC License - no big drama they had to call the main office as I had already taken a test and they simply changed the system and processed my license. (Even though I landed in 08).

Im not saying the system is perfect or right but I am not about to look a gift horse in the mouth. There are far worse drivers about than me and have all proved how "knowledgeable" they are to get their license the other way!

N
Old Jul 6th 2010, 7:39 pm

Really - and you are so knowledgable that you deem fit to cast dispersions like that? I don't think it proves you knowledgeable or not. There are plenty of people with licenses that don't have a flipping clue!

Actually because I was doing the test on paper - I had circled at least 4 of the ones I got wrong, as the right answer and then second guessed myself, rubbed them out and changed it at the last minute. What if you are easily stressed?....its easily done.

So your "not knowledgeable" comment you can shove it where the sun don't shine!

I've just come back from the ICBC office with my temporary BC License - no big drama they had to call the main office as I had already taken a test and they simply changed the system and processed my license. (Even though I landed in 08).

Im not saying the system is perfect or right but I am not about to look a gift horse in the mouth. There are far worse drivers about than me and have all proved how "knowledgeable" they are to get their license the other way!

N
I'm not really interested in your reasons for failing the test. I was merely expressing surprise that having demonstrated (by the measures used by ICBC themselves) insufficient knowledge of the local highway code ICBC would still allow a licence swap. This doesn't make much sense to me - especially in light of RICH's posts above.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Id be more surprised about meeting one of the many drivers from other countries that can change their license after 1 day of being here - without any knowledge testing whatsoever - rather than someone not being able to quote the Highway code verbatim.

Its a shocking system and I guess it should be either test all or let all - I am not saying its right - just enjoying the gift!

I think everyone should have a test on Roundabouts....I have seen some flipping shocking antics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.