Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

kezza708 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Hey All,

Just got back from ICBC and managed to swap my UK license for a BC one which is great no testing!

Been in Vancouver for 18months but they were not bothered at all. All I had to do was do an eye test which was fun and easy, pay the money have my photo taken and answer the usual 3 safety questions about a school bus, motorcycle and the flashy green light!

They took my license as they keep it under reciprical agreement (they do not send it back to UK). I checked this with DVLA and they confirmed that this was arrangement and that I can drive in UK for up to one year with BC license and if I require a replacement for my UK one I can just ask, there will be no problem to get one through the usual channels (its all money though isnt it!). I kept a photocopy of the card and paper bit though just in case!

So all done really happy now just waiting for the photocard!

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:39 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Originally Posted by kezza708
Hey All,

Just got back from ICBC and managed to swap my UK license for a BC one which is great no testing!
Congrats! Looks like ICBC have been busy http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing.../other-country.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

The Esses will become famous soon enoughThe Esses will become famous soon enough

Would it be cheeky to ask what the 3 questions are, and what the answer to them are?
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

No its not cheeky. I am not sure if the questions change with each applicant so I can only tell you what I was asked.

Something about what you do when you see a school bus with flashing hazards (Dont say overtake!). In fact you sit, wait and have a cup of tea hehe!

Something about why motorbikes are more at risk on road (ie they are least protected and you cant see them!)

Also what the flashing green light is (pedestrian initiated ie slow down check there are no two legged hazards crossing the road then proceed when safe to do so!)

Like I say it was a really easy process they were really friendly with me! Kept laughing at my accent!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

The Esses will become famous soon enoughThe Esses will become famous soon enough

Heh. Sounds straightforward, except I've been in the country for a week, so have no idea!

What's the best thing to read to know all this stuff?
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 5:28 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

read the bc drivers handbook - you can get it free at any icbc office- or download it off the website
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

When did this come into being??? It's so much better than having to sit the ruddy test.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

So now the Brits can join all the other BC drivers who have no idea what the rules of the road are and even if they have a vague idea they can just ignore them anyway.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by printer
So now the Brits can join all the other BC drivers who have no idea what the rules of the road are and even if they have a vague idea they can just ignore them anyway.
Along with the Kiwis and the Aussies!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Along with the Kiwis and the Aussies!
Oh yeah forgot about them.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 5:52 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Hi,

I just heard from one of our friends who has been in Vancouver for several years and already has her BC driving license. She went to ICBC and got her UK motorcycle license swapped for a BC motorcycle one!

Not sure if this is a good thing actually but in case anyone else needs to know!

Warmly,

Frank
Old Jul 4th 2010, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

amritk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

What Id did you have to take to swap the license?

Where did you go?

Regards

Amrit
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

I went to the one in Metrotown Mall.

Just took my passport and my full driving license. They were confused with the part 2 (paper bit) but told them they will probably see more of them!

I also took my BC health card and proof of address just in case but it wasnt required.

Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

optimadam will become famous soon enoughoptimadam will become famous soon enough

I was wondering what the green flashing light was about. Asked a few people and they didn't have a clue either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.