Just starting

Old Dec 19th 2007, 12:05 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting

Originally Posted by cuda79
Hi Grah

We live in London at the moment and have always lived in major cities in the UK, so I don't really think we could manage anywhere too remote as we have come to be too dependant on having everything on our doorstep. From what I can see the major cities like Vancouver and Toronto would offer us a cleaner and nicer version of London, although I'm sure like everywhere they have their bad parts. I have also been researching Calagary and Burnaby which both seem to be smaller but still offering lots of city advantages.

The main thing that has attracted us to Canada is the beauty of the countryside and the attitude of the people there. I am planning on visiting whichever area tops our list later in 2008 so this is a good time for us to weigh up all of the options.

OK From Canada to large City - but like the countryside...

Everything on your doorstep....

Is that discos, foreign resturaunts, fine shops, theatre, ballet sports ?

Is there any thing that you can think of that you wouldn't expect to find in a large town in the uk outside of London, that you would miss if you moved?

Lots of cities 500,000 plus have what you would expect to find in everyday life in most cities in the UK.

What's special for you? and are you willing to give it up ?
Old Dec 19th 2007, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

cuda79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grah
OK From Canada to large City - but like the countryside...

Everything on your doorstep....

Is that discos, foreign resturaunts, fine shops, theatre, ballet sports ?

Is there any thing that you can think of that you wouldn't expect to find in a large town in the uk outside of London, that you would miss if you moved?

Lots of cities 500,000 plus have what you would expect to find in everyday life in most cities in the UK.

What's special for you? and are you willing to give it up ?
Hi Grah

When I say we are used to having things on our doorstep I really mean not having to drive to get a pint of milk or some bread and having a few places to eat within easy reach. I imagine that most of the cities and towns in Canada will offer this but what I would be warey of is placing ourselves in the middle of knowhere. There aren't really that many things specific to London that I would miss - just things specific to larger towns/cities.

Thanks for taking the time to talk me through things, its a big help.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

"Halifax" sounds like an icy container filled dump but it is beautiful and has the second longest waterfront boardwalk in the world. The tall ships race this year was stunning. Waterside restaurants, cafes, theatres etc etc.

We are 2h away on the stunning North Shore of Nova Scotia in beautiful countryside overlooking the sea.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:18 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Property prices are very low by comparison in Nova Scotia but are on fast catch-up. Apart from there being incredibly friendly people, no pollution and no crime in your face, it is so amazing here I cannot find the supelatives.

Waterview and waterfront are still very affordable especially on our North Shore - bathwater warm sea in the summer, 30C avg summer temp and great winter sports. We love it here! Any help needed - just ask away!
...and...

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
"Halifax" sounds like an icy container filled dump but it is beautiful and has the second longest waterfront boardwalk in the world. The tall ships race this year was stunning. Waterside restaurants, cafes, theatres etc etc.

We are 2h away on the stunning North Shore of Nova Scotia in beautiful countryside overlooking the sea.
You are really pushing the North Shore aren't you? Perhaps I am just being cynical bit it sounds a bit one-sided. For example you don't mention things like having to drive 2 hours to get to a decent selection of shops (some stores like Costco for example ONLY exist in Halifax), the fact that there's no jobs and the region has a real problem with net out-migration resulting in a gradually declining population (leaving fewer tax payers each year which means the municipalities in the area are struggling to maintain a basic investment in infrastructure).

I dont have anything against the North Shore but I do believe in trying to give a balanced picture.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
...and...

You are really pushing the North Shore aren't you?
Perhaps they are lonely.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

...and...

You are really pushing the North Shore aren't you? Perhaps I am just being cynical bit it sounds a bit one-sided. For example you don't mention things like having to drive 2 hours to get to a decent selection of shops (some stores like Costco for example ONLY exist in Halifax), the fact that there's no jobs and the region has a real problem with net out-migration resulting in a gradually declining population (leaving fewer tax payers each year which means the municipalities in the area are struggling to maintain a basic investment in infrastructure).

I dont have anything against the North Shore but I do believe in trying to give a balanced picture.

very fair comments NSPaul. There is no doubt that it is a beautiful area. I have been in NS for 4 weeks now, in Halifax,and find even here life is very restrictive. My OH has PR but I found I just couldn't cope with life in NS, for many of the reasons you've listed above.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

...and...

I am pushing the North Shore becase it is GREAT here and we seem forgotten...SHOPS????!!!!!

We are less than 1 hour from the three major towns of Truro, New Glasgow and Amherst that have all the major stores and boxes - Canadian Tire, Zellers, Walmart, Kent, Sears, Home Depot etc etc etc though we get most of our provisions from Tatamagouche, a 15 minute drive.

You forget that here on the North Shore we are just 1h 30m from downtown Charlottetown on PEI and the same from Moncton, New Brunswick so "Nova Scotia" for us is much wider -we "live" in three Provinces. We have all the shops we could wish for!

We are lucky if we see 10 cars on route to any of or nearest towns (New Glas Amh and Truro) which was in stark contrast to my visit to the busy South Shore last week. We are 1h 45m from the expanding Dartmouth Crossings if we feel like slipping into designer gear and 2h from Halifax waterfront.

As for jobs, the migration to the oil fields in the West is improving employment in all of Nova Scotia not just the North Shore which combined with the estimated large number of small businesses that will be available from the aging popuation makes future prospects very bright.

I am sure we could argue what is "the best of the best" forever so lets maybe agree there is good and bad in all areas.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:49 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuda79
Hi Grah

When I say we are used to having things on our doorstep I really mean not having to drive to get a pint of milk or some bread and having a few places to eat within easy reach. I imagine that most of the cities and towns in Canada will offer this but what I would be warey of is placing ourselves in the middle of knowhere. There aren't really that many things specific to London that I would miss - just things specific to larger towns/cities.

Thanks for taking the time to talk me through things, its a big help.
So next thing is how big a house, flat , or land would you like?
Do you like roaming hills or rummigding round old stores, museums.

We live in winnipeg surrounded by open space never go there. to busy with work kids and loafing around the house.

food shopping - go to small natural meat butchers (frigs in middlechurch) the shop at normal supermarket 20 minutes from us. because we like the veg selection over the 4 in between.

Basically learn what you'd like most then look for that in all the different towns. Then see if you can support it in that community.

when you made up you mind and go for it remember you not smart enough to pick paradise from 4,000 miles away and be prepared to move again. with that in mind you may never move. Becaused your never trapped.